newbie | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-12-2003, 07:55 PM

Hi all. I am new here and am so grateful for this site. I have never had an abnormal pap until last Oct and it read 'HGSIL, CINIII' present. I immediately went for a Cone and the results of it were 'high grade squamous dysplasia consistent with severe dysplasia.'

So now I wait again for another pap (in January), then see the results, then decided on another cone(s) -vs- hysterectomy/other options.
? Right ?

I am 28, have not yet been married, and only have 2 doggies for children. (but they are _wonderful_ doggies) I simply want to be a part of this community. It helps me to know other people might be facing the same battle as I am some days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-12-2003, 08:02 PM

Hi, andLove!

Welcome to HysterSisters! My own situation was different than yours, and I regretfully don't know very much about cervical cancers (though my doctor mentioned that cigarette smoking can exacerbate any cervical cancer).

I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone, and that the women here on this board are great! There are many who have been through the same thing as you, and I'm sure they'll be along to offer comfort and advice. If your doctor is waiting, are they unconcerned? Have they already discussed treatment options with you?

Many of us here found out we had cancer and lost our ability to have kids all within a short time (me included). I'm allergic to dogs and cats, so . . . I have to get my "kid fix" by babysitting for friends! But maybe your situation won't come to that.

In any case, be stong, don't be afraid to question and challenge your doctors, and actively research everything you can. Doctors know a lot, but they can't possibly keep abreast of everything going on in the world. Be active in your own care, and let us know how you are doing.

s!
Unread 11-12-2003, 08:20 PM

My dr said I should wait 3 months in order to have a more accurate test result next time. He said if not, we could possibly be seeing old cells rather than new.

He also said 'You're too young for hysterectomy' and left it at that. I had to go back numerous times and say 'Ok, even if I am young, what's best for my health.' You know? He really didn't discuss options, it was more of 'wait until the next test, then we will discuss it.' So definately, I am doing much research *how I found this site*

In all reality, do you know any statistics for a situation such as mine? (Or common experiences?) Noone has honestly said 'Your situation usually turns out like this...etc. I appreciate the help.

Thank you for the kind words.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2003, 08:13 AM

You are not alone - I too have dysplasia.

I was diagnosed with CINIII/CIS in May 2002, then CINII/III in Sept. 2003. My margins were not clear after my LEEP in May - apparently positive margins can be a risk factor for it coming back. I just had the cone biopsy which couldn't find definite dysplasia. Who knows if he got it all during the colposcopy or missed it.

Did your DR get it all in Oct? Did you get a copy of your path report?

I go back in February for a repeat colposcopy. I have finished having kids but a hysterectomy is a difficult decision for me because I don't have any other complaints. My DR has suggested waiting, although I've had other opinions.

My thoughts are with you. The wait is difficult each time. When I was diagnosed in the fall again, I ended up on sleeping pills and lots of anxiety. Its starting to pass now with time as I get back into my regular routine.

There are sites specifically on HPV and cervical cancer/dysplasia, if you need info, although this is the best one for communicating with others. Take care.
Unread 11-13-2003, 03:04 PM

's Andlove! Welcome to Cancer Concerns!

I had my first abnormal PAP when I was 23. I was treated with a cone biopsy and then had normal PAP's for 10 years. The current statistics would indicate that a cone will essentially "cure" 80-90% of cases of dysplasia. Pretty good, I'd say.

If for some reason your next PAP would come back abnormal, request a referral to see a gynecologic oncologist. They are the experts when it comes to female cancers and precancers, and they know all the most current treatment techniques and surgical procedures. If things are abnormal, you might be able to opt for a second cone. There's also a procedure known as a trachelectomy where the cervix is removed but the uterus is left behind for fertility purposes. A circlage is put in place (a stitching of the end of the uterus--kind of an artificial cervix).

In the meantime, do the best you can to take good care of yourself. The body has wonderful built-in healing possibilities--encourage your body to do the best it can. Get plenty of sleep. Eat well. Take a multivitamin (there is some evidence that would suggest folic acid helps our bodies fight off dysplasia). Exercise moderately. Reduce your stress. Pray/meditate/do yoga. All of these things are believed to build up your body's immune system.

Good luck! Please keep us posted on how things are going!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register