Chemo Side Effects | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Chemo Side Effects Chemo Side Effects

Unread 11-13-2003, 09:21 AM
Chemo Side Effects

I am a hyster sister on my own computer, but am writing from my (blood) sister's computer. I am almost 6 weeks post TAH/BSO and am ovarian cancer stage III-c. I will start chemo (carbo and taxol) as soon as my incision fully heals, probably within 10 days. I would like to know what side effects you have experienced with this type of chemo, and also what you have done to alleviate them. Any help you can give me would be most appreciated.

TeriG (Big T)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2003, 12:09 PM
Hi "Big T"

If your experience is anything like mine, you'll find chemo quite do-able and that your side effects may vary from treatment to treatment. Two things are certain: you will lose your hair and your normal blood counts for red cells, platelets, and white cells will go down and come back each treatment--thus you may at some point need Procrit or blood and you could need Neupogen. Not a given--I never needed Neupogen the first time but my red cells were hit hard. Fatigue will also be a factor--I was able to get treated on Thursday and be back to work on Monday--although I always planned less intense work for Monday. I'd be sacked out until sometime late Saturday or on Sunday. I'd be tired out between treatments, but nothing that going to bed early and farming out my lawn work could'nt help. Beyond that--I only had mild vomiting on two of the treatments--and I mean mild. Otherwise, I was fine. I only had the severe bone/joint pain with the first treatment and nothing (Prednisone) helped. For the second, I felt a twinge, took a couple Tylenol, and that was it. I had pre-existing neuropathy in one thigh and foot--I had no problems with that during chemo nor after. Some people have many problems; lots have minor ones. It's very do-able--moreso than I thought it would be. Line up a wig or two (and a cap for under the wig--that was a big help!) and some other head coverings. be sure to attend the ACS "Look Good, Feel Better" program for other great tips. And in you encounter any questions during chemo--be sure to post!
Unread 11-13-2003, 03:23 PM
Chemo Side Effects

Hi Teri..

Good luck with your chemo treatments. They are definately doable and hopefully, for you too, with little side effects.

I also had taxol and carboplatin for ovarian cancer. I finished my 6 treatments a year ago September. I worked the entire time and also went to the gym. There is absolutely NO reason to be sick and if you do get queezy feeling, talk to your oncologist. I personally to Anzimet for nausea and NEVER had any.

In my case, I had had my treatments on a Thursday, felt good on Friday and went to work. However, on Saturday and Sunday I just laid around because that was when the "bone pain" would hit me. It was just a very bad achy flu like feeling. By Monday it was gone and I was back to work again.

About a week after my second treatment my hair did come out but I was ready. My wigs, hats, scarfs, and lots of additional head gear was ready for use. Emotionally, I do feel that this was the worst for me but I did get over it rather quickly. About 5 months after stopping the chemo, my hair was grown in enough for me to feel comfortable going without the wig.

Keep in touch.

Rosalie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-14-2003, 06:23 AM
chemo side effects

I didn't take the taxol/carbo but did taxtotere/carbo instead. My side effects were relatively minor
which seems to be what most women experience. I felt good the night of chemo and the day after, then
the next 2 days would feel "achy" just like I had the flu. After my 3 treatment, I was started on
aranesp and neulasta for my red/white blood counts. I was expecting bone pain w/ the neulasta,
but got none. I had no nausea, but took zofran the night of treatment, 3x the next 2 days.
I did decrease the amt I was taking to 2 pills the next 2 days after treatment 3. By the end, I did 1
pill the night of, 2 the next and 1 the 3rd morning. I never experienced any nausea at all.

I had my head shave w/ electric razor after day 14 of first treatment. I really never lost must of the
stubble that was left. By my 4th chemo, that started to grow. I didn't lose my eyebrows or eyelashes
until I started my maintenance chemo. I stopped chemo in April and was going
hatless in July.

I didn't work throughout my "regular" chemo since I teach young students with autism, but was able
to do many other of my regular tasks. I did maintenance chemo May-Nov and did teach while on
that.

I wish you the best with your treatment!
Cindi

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register