Emotional and other issues after surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Emotional and other issues after surgery Emotional and other issues after surgery

Unread 11-13-2003, 10:54 AM
Emotional and other issues after surgery

I am 44 years old and I had a complete hysterectomy October 22, 2003. I am always being a happy person, but now I am feeling so depressed, there are times I wish I would drop death. I will discuss this with my doctor next week to find out if I am getting the right dosis of hormones I am using the patch Esclim 0.1mg. I wonder if any of you had had a good experience with this type of patch. I also still wake up sweating and experience hot flashes. I just wish I have more information about all these feellings, and how long they will last. There are times I am get scared since I don't know what to expect, or whether I am going crazy. Nobody explained what could happen to me after surgery, my doctor just told me every woman acts different. I will appreaciate if you share a similar experience with me so I know I am not alone, and that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I have my husband's and friends support, but I don't think they understand what is really happening inside me. This is so hard for me to deal with, I know my surgery was just 3 weeks ago, the fact is the lack of knowledge is affecting me. Thanks from the bottom of my heart for you input, it will help me a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2003, 11:12 AM
I can relate to the depression

I am so sorry that you have to go through this but in a way it is a right of passage, meaning that a great many of us have faced this.

I had my surgery over a year ago but I remember the symptons and feelings of being alone in a crowd. After surgery your hormones play nasty tricks on you. For the first month I was faced depression head on. Then it fluctuates and gets better, then you work with your doctor on the write hormone replacement therapy for you and the hot flashes seem to be easier. But there is one thing I must stress...PLEASE TAKE YOUR TIME AND BE GENTLE WITH YOURSELF!!!

I did not listen to my sisters who told me this but take it from experience, it gets easier in time. Patience is a virtue.

Prayers go out to you. Take care. Trish
Unread 11-13-2003, 11:14 AM

Marimar,
I think the circumstances under which a woman has a hysterectomy influence her reaction to it. Was your hysterectomy planned or was it an emergency and something you weren't prepared for? I woke up with a TAH-BSO, but I went in for only a laparoscopy to remove my left ovary. My physician told me essentially nothing about what to expect after surgery, nor did he prepare me for the possibility of it being far more than what it ended up being. Eventhough I was on an adequate dose of estrogen replacement, my GP put me on antidepressants. A traumatic event can lead to a situational depression.

I've ready many posts from women who chose the surgery because of years of physical suffering. Eventhough they were glad they had the surgery and have no regrets, they also describe getting sad, feeling grief, and basically emotionally disjointed for a while after the surgery.

Surgery is far more emotionally, psychologically, and physically traumatic than what the medical professionals tell us. The best thing you can do is tell your doctor how you are feeling and how miserable your emotions are right now. There are effective interventions for you. The stress of the whole situation does catch up with us. You are not going crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2003, 11:17 AM

(((((((((Marimar))))))))))

What we've been through is a VERY emotional and life-changing proceedure. Even though the Dr. left my left ovary, I'm STILL having "emotional issues", as he calls it. In time ( I know patience is very hard to come by when you've been through so much) and with the right HRT you can/will feel good as new.

In the mean time, hold your heart close, and know you are NOT alone. We are all here for you if you need us. We're just a "click" away!

La Donna
Unread 11-13-2003, 11:28 AM

I can really relate to your frustrations ( along with having surgery on same date.) It seems as though the doc does his or her thing and lets you figure out things on your own and suffer in silence. The second day of being in hospital they put me on the climara patch. I did well for the first two weeks and all of a sudden became allergic to the patch. I called the on-call nurse as is was on a Sat. nite. and felt like she just blew me off and said, you can't be allergic to your own hormones. So, I took the patch off and delt with some really hot flashes for a few days. I thought I would try the patch again and about 20 minutes later experienced fainting spells, dizzyness, itching all over my body. Took the patch off and felt better in about 30 minutes. I did go to ER previously for the reaction and he put me on predisone, a sterioid for the itching but stated not to use the patch until I talk with my doc. Anyway, I am still using the steroid--just to finish up the pack and not taking any other hormone as the leaflet states to talk with your doc before using estrogen. I am frightened to take the estrogen due to the feelings I got from the patch. My doc put me on estrace and I've yet to take it for fear of the feelings I got from the climara patch. I guess in short I feel like I have not gotten any support like I thought I would from my doc. Pretty much medicating myself. I have had a couple really bad hot flashes waking me up, and after 2 1/2 weeks was an emotional wreck--crying at drop of hat and very lethargic and headaches that won't go away. Last couple of days I have felt pretty good without any hormones but at times my feet and hands feel like pins and needles sticking me. I understand your frustration and feel as though the only support is on this site and reading, obtaining all the info you can get. I have also made myself walk 30 minutes a day to help improve my spirits. I am concerned with not taking any hormones due to going back to a stressful work situation in two weeks. I wish you luck..Email me if you like.
Unread 11-13-2003, 11:31 AM
Hormones and Emotions

I am 39 and I also had my TAH on Oct. 22. When I left the hospital doctor prescribed Vivelle dot (.05). I used this until my first week post op appointment. I was very emotional and moody. Crying one minute and yelling at my husband the next! At one week check-up he put me on Cenestin (1.25 mg) on Sun, Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri and Estratest-combination of Estrogen(1.25 mg) and Testosterone(2.5 mg) on Wed and Sat. This combination seems to be working for now. It took about 7 days after starting them before I noticed a difference in my mood, emotions, and attitude. (I can laugh again with my husband instead of rolling my eyes at him!)

I am also taking 40 mg of Prozac everyday... I have been on that for four years now due to horrible PMS. I don't think I am going to stop taking the Prozac unless doctor feels like I need to.

Even with all of the meds I am taking there are times that I feel like I could just jump up and run around the house screaming...I think that is due to total boredom. I haven't had any night sweats or hot flashes.
Unread 11-14-2003, 08:37 AM
Re: I can relate to the depression

Quote:
Originally posted by Trish2002
I am so sorry that you have to go through this but in a way it is a right of passage, meaning that a great many of us have faced this.

I had my surgery over a year ago but I remember the symptons and feelings of being alone in a crowd. After surgery your hormones play nasty tricks on you. For the first month I was faced depression head on. Then it fluctuates and gets better, then you work with your doctor on the write hormone replacement therapy for you and the hot flashes seem to be easier. But there is one thing I must stress...PLEASE TAKE YOUR TIME AND BE GENTLE WITH YOURSELF!!!

I did not listen to my sisters who told me this but take it from experience, it gets easier in time. Patience is a virtue.

Prayers go out to you. Take care. Trish
Unread 11-14-2003, 09:28 AM
emotions

I empathize with you! The week after my hysterectomy I was having panic attacks and weeping attacks. I also was having hot flashes and night sweats but these I expected and weren't too bad. But the emotional "attacks" were what shocked me. It scared me.

Definitely talk to your MD, maybe all you need is an increase in your HRT.

I am not on HRT, but have been taking Celexa (40 mg/once a day) for depression for about a year. I talked with my MD who suggested I might think about taking a small dose of estrogen and see if that helped. I chose not too.
I think for me just knowing that it was part of surgical menopause and realizing why I was having the "emotional attacks" helped me. This may sound strange but here goes:
The panic attacks happened when I went to bed and the lights were turned off. First thing I did was have my DH pray with me. That helped because I came to realize that the dark and drifting of to sleep made me think I was going into surgery again. When I knew why, I was able to face the attacks and pray and then sleep.
The "weeping" and "depression" attacks were brought on by several things. My best friend had flown in to be with me for a week after I got home from the hospital. The night of the day she left I felt depressed and sad and started crying. My poor DH! He prayed with me again. I began to realize that I was grieving for my friend having to leave and I was also grieving for the loss (however illogical) of my ability to have any more children. (I am 48!)
This helped me deal better.
Also I think it helped that I was on the Celexa for depression (have since found out it also helps with hot flashes).
Hope this helps...God Bless You!
Unread 05-31-2005, 03:36 PM
sleeping

MMWeave

Your statement about the sleeping hit home! I couldn't figure out why I could fall asleep on the sofa or in a chair any time, but when it came time for bed, I would lie awake. Even after taking Xanax!

I really didn't want to take a sleep aid... your conclusion of surgery makes sense: The dread of releasing control!

And prayer is the answer. For me it helped me understand that I hadn't 'given up' and had a hysterectomy, but I 'let go' and let God take over... though I am unable to birth a child doesnot mean I cannot nuture and be a positive inspiration to a child or children...

Thank you for your affirmation and faith!
Unread 05-31-2005, 05:31 PM

I'm very new to this post op life but I am already 50 and remember a huge difference in the way I felt about myself at 44. You are probably going through a difficult mourning process and possibly post traumatic stress. I would have been very sad, at your age, even though I had 3 children and couldn't imagine having another. I've since found myself raising my grandchildren. DH and I can only dream of an empty nest now.
I was almost to menopause anyway and had seriously paid my dues with a uterus that was killing me! Still, I expect to feel some sorrow and surgery is always, at least physically stressful.
I'm not a big fan of meds because I'm hypersensitive and the side effects are too severe. I know some people need them, permanently if they have a hereditary chemical imbalance and temporarily, if the depression is situational. IMO, in situational cases, it's very important to get support or cognitive therapy, along with the meds, so that you can readjust your thinking and avoid becoming permanently dependant.
Big Hug!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register