"parathesia" from pelvic problems? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

"parathesia" from pelvic problems? "parathesia" from pelvic problems?

Unread 11-13-2003, 05:36 PM
"parathesia" from pelvic problems?

Hi,
Today I went to the GP because I have been having numb feeling patches on my legs. They are always in the same spots and seem to come and go.... but when an area feels numb it lasts for several days. This has been happening for about 2 months and at first I just thought I was imagining it but it has persisted and I finally decided I should at least tell somebody.

I also had very bad pelvic pain this weekend (that time of the month) and everytime I sat down my pelvic floor would go numb (very weird feeling).... and even laying down I had some numb sensation.

So the GP called it "parathesia" and thinks it is all related to my pelvic pain problems.... whatever is causing them.

This is a new "problem" for me... I was just wondering if anyone else has had this and what you found out...

So the right leg feels numb on the outside of the calf in an area above the ankle.... the left leg has a numb patch at the outside of the calf just below the knee and also up higher at my butt. It has been very noticeable since I had the bad episode of pain this weekend.

Well (((hugs))) to all. I hope everyone on the "road" is managing OK today.

Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2003, 10:01 AM

Hi ((((Sarah)))) I'm so sorry you have yet one more issue to deal with

I tried to find some info on Parathesia for you, but all I could find was that it was a condition present in many forms: after dental work, chriropractic work, heart attacks, various surgeries, etc. etc.

Sorry I can't offer any insight, but didn't want to send some s your way. Did your doctor suggest any therapy to help relieve this condition?
Unread 11-15-2003, 11:23 AM

It means "unexplained numbness". Just another word for the doc doesn't know what's wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2003, 05:37 PM

Hi!

Well I may have found a clue regarding the numb spots on my legs....

I talked to the PT today. She told me that the areas I am having trouble with are related to the sciatic nerve. The sciatic nerve runs along or through (something like that) the obturator and pelvic floor muscles posterior.... My obturator muscles are terribly painful and tight so it could be possible that they are pressing on the sciatic nerves.... The PT is going to check out the numb spots etc when I go in on Wed.

The next question is "what is wrong with my obturator muscles?" I am not sure. The doctor at the Mayo seemed pretty convinced that the obturator muscles were in spasm as a result of something else going on which he thought could be enodmetriosis.... Apparently, usually muscles are not the "primary" problem but are usually secondary to something something else...

Sarah
Unread 11-17-2003, 05:42 PM

Sarah,

I have no words of wisdom.....Only wanted to let you know that I'm sending you 's.

Hang in there and keep us posted.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register