is this really happening? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

is this really happening? is this really happening?

Unread 11-14-2003, 12:41 PM
is this really happening?

Is this really happening?.... Thats what I keep asking....Just two months ago I thought everything was ok.....sure I was having monthly cycles that would last for 19 days but that happens.

Then in September I had a pap smear (1st in 8 yrs) and the doctor said it was nothing to worry about when it came back abnormal. Well after another pap and other tests I found out that I have stage 1 cervical canter....

I'm only 28!! With no family history of cancer of any kind. This seems like it is just happening so fast. I got the results back from the first pap on Sept. 30 and I'm having a TVH on monday.

I was fine with it...untill I went for my pre-op this morning....why do the nurses tell you everything?? I was happy not knowing so things. The thought of having a tube down my throught scares me more then the operation.

Well thats my story so far.....

Thanks for the site...You Ladies are wonderful....

Fairy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-14-2003, 12:53 PM

Stormsfairy,

I understand what you are feeling. Don't worry about the tube down your throat - you will be asleep when they put it in and take it out. Its not like you see on TV when the person is awake.
The worst part is a possible sore throat when you wake up... and then that is really nothing.

I am 34 and had a problem with having a TAH/BSO - but thank god they caught the cancer in time. Same for you - very happy they caught it early.

I had my surgery on 10/21/03 and it wasn't that bad. Pain while recovering - but then thats what pain meds are for

If you have any questions or if I can help in any way you can send me a private message.

Take care
Jana
Unread 11-16-2003, 07:35 AM
Knowledge

Fairy,

It seems most here on this board like to know everything -- research and read everything about their condition. Not everyone -- not me. I was diagnosed with a very early breast cancer a year ago this Tuesday. Ultimately I just wanted to know the basics of things. That was enough for me. More than that can scare me. I have my "cancerhead" mostly under control. I just don't go looking for more information.

Do what is best for you.

Mary D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2003, 08:31 AM

First of all..Hi Jana... we are neighbors, I live in Massapequa.

Next, Hello Fairy...

The diagnosis of cancer was scary for all of us and do think you are right. The nurses did not have to be so darn graphic. You will be asleep thru all of this. I remember the anesthologist (sp) setting me up with an IV outside the operating room telling me that it was something to calm me down with. WELL, next thing I know, I am in recovery. I never even saw the inside of the operating room which was fine with me.

When I awoke all I had were IV's for different things including pain meds. I did however have, what I think they call an ng tube in my nose but I did not even know it was there and it DID NOT hurt at all when they took it out. The cathereter was also inserted when I was asleep and taken out, without pain, the next day.

Hang in there...Things will be fine.
Rosalie
Unread 11-16-2003, 09:41 AM
Hi!

I'm one who likes to know everything but even so I had a big surprise when I woke up--the nasogastric tube. Having had bad memories of a chest tube many years before, I braced for then they pulled it out--um, big disappointment, it was out with no trouble. They have to put a breathing tube down your throat--but you will be out when they do this and it will be out before you wake up. Some may have a sore throat--I had no problems whatsoever. Rosalie and I are opposites--I forced myself to stay as alert as possible so I could see the inside of the OR and was fascinated to find it was bright yellow (!?) and fairly small. I chatted with staff. I don't remember the recovery room at all--just waking up when my primary must've been yelling at the top of his lungs at me and clanging cymbals back in the room. Darn--I really wanted to see that recovery room. So while we're all different in some ways, the main thing is, it's key to get any bad cells or cancer out and that's the most important. At any and all times you're scared or feel you're getting more than you can handle, tell the staff. They can help calm you or will tell you the minimum you need and not more. Oh--and my standard advice--don't eat the green jello they serve! Ellen
Unread 11-21-2003, 07:41 AM

I had a TVH on 09/10/03 for the same reason...I am only 34. I understand your 'shock'.

As far as the surgery goes it is not as bad as you may think. You are out cold for the surgery and they give you strong pain killers for the first few days after. I thought the biopsy was worse than the surgery. Make sure that you have someone around for the first few days and if you can, stay an extra day at the hospital. They will tell you it's OK to go home the next day but that extra day makes a huge difference.

Good luck with everything!

Lisa
Unread 11-21-2003, 08:21 AM

You will do fine. I am one of those people who have a pretty sensitive throat.....gag reflex, etc. I was asleep when they put in the tube and they must have taken it out before I woke up. And evidently I did not have a sore throat because until you all started talking about it here, I hadn't even thought about it!

The last thing I remember is sitting up for them to put in my epideral, and the next thing I was in recovery.

They will keep you medicated. And if it isn't enough, tell them. They will turn up the meds. And believe me, when they turn them up it is just a matter of nano seconds for it to hit. very fast.

This is not the time to try and 'be tough' about pain meds. This is their purpose, use them.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers,
nancy j
Unread 11-21-2003, 10:03 AM

I had gone in for a biopsy after my abnormal pap and the GYN called me and said "I'm sorry but its cancer" just like that - I was in shock. I'm 37 years old and cancer, me?! cancer????

I too had stage I cervical cancer. I had never been cut into so I was mortified. To me, the gas pains were worse than the surgery pain and I only took the meds for 4 days - Advil after that. Gas pains went away shortly thereafter. Its scary hearing all the things that will go on and my ONC kept saying "lymph node disection" which made me feel like a frog!

This web site is awesome and the ladies are fantastic here so make sure to check in when you up to it.

Get better soon!!

Barbara
Unread 11-21-2003, 11:21 AM

It is a shock. I was 35. Cervical cancer is most often caused by the HPV virus. Most women do not have a family history of it. Please make sure that you are seen by a gyn oncologist. They are the experts.

I did not find the surgery and recovery to be bad. I had a C-section and that was much worse.

Stage 1 is very early. I had stage 1a as well and 2 years later am now considered cured. Best wishes! It will all be over soon.
Unread 11-21-2003, 12:29 PM

St0rmsfairy,

I had TAH/BSO in February 2000, and I don't even remember a tube going into my throat--must have been after I was asleep. Nor do I remember it coming out. I don't recall any major discomfort regarding it, either.

My only discomfort was gas, and once they gave me some pills for that, it dissipated. Walking helped too. Once I was cleared to walk, which was the next morning, I walked the hospital floor just about every hour. Even at night, if I woke up, I took a walk.

Honestly, the anticipation of the surgery was FAR worse than the actual event. I had no complications, no after effects other than hot flashes (which have mostly gone away now), and it's nice to know that a whole bunch of potentially cancerous parts are no longer there!

So hang in there and don't worry...you'll be waking up in the recovery room and wondering when the operation is going to start...and a nurse will tell you it's all over!

All the best, and many blessing.

Marlene

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register