Newbie Here-Just diagnosed TODAY! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Newbie Here-Just diagnosed TODAY! Newbie Here-Just diagnosed TODAY!

Unread 11-14-2003, 11:57 PM
Newbie Here-Just diagnosed TODAY!

WOW! I don't know if I'm happy or sad to be joining this group!
I'm sad I have to be here, but I'm glad this site exists!
Please bear with me as I don't know all the correct terminology yet. This has been a very fast rollercoaster ride for me, and I don't see it stopping any time soon!

My name is Liz and I am 28 years old. I have been married for "almost" 10 years and have two wonderful boys, aged 7 and 18 mos.

Well, I'm going to "try" and make a long story short. Remember "TRY"!!!

Had my regulary scheduled PAP--I have NEVER had an abnormal pap before. Shoot, I have only had two yeast infections in my life (while pregnant)
Came back as ASCUS
Colpo performed
My Primary care doc said I had severe dysplasia, and referred me to a GYN for a LEEP.
I went in for the LEEP, and the GYN said that was NOT the right procedure I needed. She could tell that my results were never explained to me. She took the time and explained to me that I had CINIII with carcinoma in situ. She performed a cone biopsy 3 days later. That was 11/7.
Well, I had a followup appt today--BAD NEWS. She said that I had cancer. Staged 1B (I guess 5cm deep and 2.5 cm wide)
I have an appt with a GYN/ONCOLOGIST in 10 days.
From what I gather, I will need a hysterectomy (radical?) and will remove some nodes to test them. Possible radiation.

I've read through some of the posts here already. I'm still learning the terminology, so I'm a little confused about what I'm reading. I'm not stupid or dense, I'm still learning (give me a week, I'll be up to speed!)

I can't believe I'm 28, have cancer, and am having a hysterectomy! WOW! That's a hard one to swallow!

Can anyone offer me any advice on what to expect with 1B and treatments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2003, 06:07 AM

Hi Liz,

First, let me say welcome and send some s !

I was diagnosed with cervical cancer, which is what led me to find this site. And like you, though I was sad and shocked to have a cancer diagnosis, I have always been grateful that I found HS; it has saved my sanity on more than one occasion!

My journey had some similarities to yours, in that I had an abnormal PAP, followed by a colposcopy, and then a LEEP procedure with a cone biopsy which provided my cancer diagnosis with unclear margins. My GYN referred me to my ONC GYN, so I am very glad to hear that you will be seeing an ONC GYN, as they are the experts in female cancers.

When I met with my ONC GYN for the first time, he reviewed my test results and gave me the option of either a radical hyst or chemo/radiation. In my case, he told me that either would be an acceptable treatment and that the expected outcomes would be the same. I was 43 y/o and well past the idea of having any more children, so it was an easy decision for me to opt for the surgery...I just wanted the cancer removed.

Since my surgery, I have had to have frequent check-ups and PAP's with my ONC GYN to monitor things, but I have not had to have radiation or chemo. I've had a few bumps on the road, but overall I am doing very well.

You have a wonderful place to get a lot of support and shared experiences from others.

Best wishes and lots of s
Unread 11-15-2003, 09:05 AM

Thank you for the welcome Tina!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2003, 10:50 AM

Hi, Liz!

I'm 10 years older than you (which is still young!) and was totally thrown by my own diagnosis earlier this year. You're smart to want to educate yourself: Read as much as you can, and then read some more.

While my own cancer was different, I can say that you are very lucky to have caught your cancer in such an early and treatable. stage. You are also blessed to already have two children. Though I came close to getting married at least twice, it never quite worked out, so I got a horrible diagnosis and lost my ability to have kids . . . all at once. It was a lot to take, so be grateful for your children.

I don't personally know enough about treatment options for cervical cancer to be able to offer any suggestions. Talk to the gyn/onc and go over all your options. If you are uncomfortable at all with what's said, you can always solicit another opinion. If you have a hysterectomy, ask about HRT and whether any testing can be done to see whether your cancer is estrogen-receptor positive. (I'm not sure if this applies to cervical, but it does to ovarian.) I wish I had asked my doctor to check for that before surgery. He didn't check, and now I have to go on his visual opinion.

You are young, so if your cancer is not estrogen-receptor positive, your doctors will likely recommend HRT. I just started taking it and feel a lot more normal and like myself. But it is not without its risks. I am doing some additional testing to see whether this is the right choice for me.

Surgery isn't fun, and chemo isn't fun, and from what I hear, raditation isn't fun. But! Life is fun, and I like being alive. The body has a remarkable ability to forget pain, for which I (and likely everyon here) is grateful.

Let us know how your appointment with the gyn/onc goes. And in the meantime, try to educate yourself as much as possible so you know what questions to ask. You can also ask the ladies on this board who have had your disease. This place is a great source of comfort. Like you, I found it before I even met with the gyn/onc, and I've been coming here ever since. I started as a scared person who knew nothing, and now I know enough to be able to help others. But I'm a super research freak. :-)

One other thing: My chemo doctor recently mentioned that smoking causes cervical cancer to spread like wildfire, so I'm hoping you don't smoke. If you do, consider quitting.

s!
Unread 11-16-2003, 06:15 PM

Thank you again.

I have a feeling I will become a regular on this site! I have learned so much all ready.

I'm one that has to research and research and research to find the worse possible scenerio-so when the doctor says that it's not that bad, I at least have some relief.
I'm about to drive my husband batty with all the time I'm spending on this computer doing research. I guess it's just the "not knowing what's next" that's killing me. I'm on the countdown, another 8 days until my ONC GYN appt!

Again, thank you for the welcomes. I'm positive I'll be coming back with plenty more questions (after searching the rest of this forum for answers, of course
Unread 11-16-2003, 06:35 PM

I was diagnosed with a rare form of cervical cancer while I was 3 mpnths pregnant and 6 months married. It was scary. W e did nothing until the baby was born. Which was a tumoil in itself, and life threatinging. I had 4 opinions from doctors and John Hopkins University. I was told the onlyl options to cervical cancer was a radical hysterectomy. Depending on the spread ,depends on what they take. I kept ovaries, but they were killed due to radiaion. Radiation distroyed my weak body. I have dry skin, I threw up, lost appitite, gained weight, lost weight, ghained weight, bloated. vision worse, diabetes worse, sleep problems, sex gone , hair loss, just to mention a few that may happen. It was scary, make sure you have support.

I still suffer througyoh HRT, forced menopause after 2 years post op

You will want to kknow what to expect
Unread 11-16-2003, 07:33 PM

Hi Liz.

Unfortunately cancer has no age requirements. I am happy to hear that you are going to see an oncologist/gynocologist. They are the experts in the field and know all the answers to all your questions.

Please keep us updated.

Rosalie
Unread 11-16-2003, 08:28 PM

Wow, all that with a new baby. I'm sorry to hear that Valerie!!!!
Thank you for the welcome Rosalie!
Unread 11-16-2003, 09:49 PM

Dear Liz,
I had a radical hysterectomy in June 2002 for cervical cancer, 1b. No further treatment to date, check ups every 3 months. My recovery was pretty good, and most everything is back to normal now. Except, I have a new outlook on life, it all means so much more after cancer. Each day is such a gift.
I hope your meeting with your gyn/onc goes well and that you will have great results with your surgery.
and
Rhonda
Radical hysterectomy, June 2002, cervical cancer, 1b
Unread 11-17-2003, 12:01 AM
To Liz

Liz,
Wow! I am sorry to hear this. I had the same diagnosis, with a tumor just that size, back in April. Because of the size my doctor was afraid that he would not get clear margins with surgery. So I had radiation and chemo. It wasn't great but it wasn't awful either. I didn't lose my hair and I did just about everything that I always do. Unless I told people, no one knew I was going through treatment. I'm now cancer free and back to my old energy level.

I hope your appointment goes well. Do you know what kind of cervical cancer you have?

Hugs,
Janie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register