TAH/BSO With Hernia Repair | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH/BSO With Hernia Repair TAH/BSO With Hernia Repair

Unread 11-16-2003, 09:54 AM
TAH/BSO With Hernia Repair

I am so happy that I found this website. I am scheduled for
surgery December 6th and my doctor said that he is going to
give me a vertical cut one inch above my belly button and about
5 inches below. He is going to repair a umbilical hernia that I
have also. Just wondering if anyone else had this type of cut
or hernia repair with their hyst. Not really knowing what to
expect, I am scared. Also, I am a member of Curves (woman's
exercise club), and am just curious as to how long it takes to
return to an exercise program such as this. Thank you everyone
for all their great advise and support. This website has been a
godsend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2003, 12:40 PM

Welcome to Hyster Sisters!

I can't help you with the hernia question but I can let you know that I will be 8 weeks post TAH/BSO on Tues. and I am starting back to Curves tomorrow. I can't wait, although I have been warned to go slow and don't expect to be able to continue where I left off at 4 X a week.

My recovery from my TAH/BSO was very uneventful and yes I believe being in shape (not svelt) helped. It makes it a little easier for your muscles to recover after surgery.

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to post them here, the ladies are great at helping out.

s

Donna
Unread 11-16-2003, 06:57 PM

I'm scheduled for TAH/BSO on 12/4. My doc told me I'd be completely off work for 3-4 weeks and then return on modified duty, (I'm a nurse in a physician's office, so I have the option of doing mainly desk work/phones for the first couple of weeks upon my return).

I have a suggestion about Curves. Many of our patients participate in that same program. They often ask us to fax a note to the manager at their Curves facility explaining that the patient will be unable to participate for "X" number of weeks due to upcoming surgery. Apparently, with that note, your membership will be be on hold so that you don't have to pay dues while you're recovering. You probably already knew this, but since you mentioned Curves, I thought I'd throw it in. (I'm thinking about joining after surgery myself. Everybody seems to love it).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2003, 09:44 AM

Ok, just got back from my first workout post TAH/BSO so I thought I would give you some info.

First, I am 8 weeks post op...make sure when you get the all clear from your doc that you specifically ask about going back to working out. My doc had me wait an extra 2 weeks and it was good advice.

Second, don't expect too much from yourself or your body when going back. Take it slowwwww for at least the first two weeks until your body gets readjusted to the workout. Take extra steps to keep your pulse in the 70 to 60% ranges.

Last but definately not least, your body will crave the water. Make sure you take at least one bottle with you and you might consider drinking some before your workout at home.

I could feel the workout in my abdomen on several of the machines, but it did not hurt. What I was feeling was just the muscles trying to wake back up. Like I said take it slow and you will do fine.

Your body will thank you for it. BTW, I have been on medical leave from Curves since July and I continued to lose weight and inches even during my leave.

s

Donna
Unread 11-30-2003, 09:47 PM

It has been 5 months since my surgery. I also had a vertical incision that starts a little above the belly button. I had a TAH/BSO with an umbilical hernia repair. I had had the hernia since my second pregnancy and it got worse during my third and last pregnancy... 27 years ago. It never bothered me much except for how it looked, although it was sensitive to touch the skin there... it was a very large hernia... an extreme "outie" with a large area of separated muscle so that there was just skin between the outside and my organs ... maybe 4 inches or so in diameter.

We really didn't discuss any details ahead of time so I didnt know what the repair would involve. I just knew he couldn't just sew me back up and leave it like that.

I only found out two weeks ago when I asked him (after doing a little research on the web a few weeks before that) if he had put in a mesh. He had. So, now I understand the discomfort I have felt. Maybe you won't but if you do, you won't be scared like I was. I thought something was wrong because it still is uncomfortable inside under the belly button area... especially if I cough or if I do too much... or even if I eat too much. The tissues have to adjust and adhere to the mesh. It makes sense that it would take some time for that to happen. The mesh basically becomes part of the underlying tissue. If a mesh is not used then there is a high likelyhood that the repair will not hold... at least with a large hernia like mine. Maybe a tiny one would be better without it.

As far as exercise... at my one month checkup the doctor told me to start resuming my normal routine. I asked him a couple of specific questions. Could I empty the dehumdifier... which involves bending over and lifting a 25 pound bucket of water up from the floor level! He said I could. I tried...it was very difficult... I did it a few times but still cannot believe he said I could. I also asked about bending over and washing the feet of my 50 pound dog if she got muddy. Again, he said yes. Again, when I tried it, it was awful.

Just this week at 5 months post op I finally felt comfortable lifting that dog into the bathtub when she got really muddy the other day. I also finally flipped my mattress and wrestled the clean bed pad onto it. I really dont think I could have done either much sooner. Mostly because of the hernia repair. Other parts of my abdomen are fine and the incision itself has never hurt. Never.

I don't do curves but I know what it is ... I think I could do it now at 5 months and maybe a month ago or so. Probably not before that. I have been walking from the beginning. At one month I could do 2 or 3 miles but not at my pre-op pace. That took 3 or 4 months. I can do 3 miles at a 16 minute per mile pace and can even jog a little of it. I wear a light support panty girdle to keep things from jiggling and that helps alot.

I also use an eliptical trainer at home... I love it. No impact. I can be sweating within 3 minutes and really get a good cardio workout. Much better than when I just walk. I started using it at 3 months post-op. That is when I bought it. I don't need the support girdle for that.

When I saw the doctor 2 weeks ago he said to just do anything I want now. So, I hope, that even though I do get uncomfortable in the area where the mesh is, I can't damage anything. He said I wouldn't.... but, did he know I was going to flip a mattress?

Oh, while I am at it... I might as well mention stairs as I notice alot of people ask about that. I was told before the surgery that I would be able to do stairs and that I would be able to lift at least 10 pounds. No problem with either. Maybe it has something to do with how he does the surgery, but stairs did not hurt at all. They were just tiring and I had to be careful and use the rail because of effects from the anesthesia and drugs. I led with the same foot for each step going up. When I came down, my body was kind of sideways as I faced the rail and used both hands. But my steps are VERY steep. This is an old house with very high ceilings.

I don't mean to make this sound like it was all easy. I had alot of discomfort, was tired all the time, cried alot... same as alot of people here. Just had to get through each day one at a time. It was a long hot summer! But the doctor said he did not want me to be a couch potato so I forced myself to do what I could. Gently.

Anyway, to sum it up... I do think the hernia repair has increased the discomfort both in amount and duration, so listen to your body. I think it will be few more weeks before that feels normal. It is nice to have a real belly button though. An innie.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register