rectocele repair after LAVH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

rectocele repair after LAVH rectocele repair after LAVH

Unread 11-17-2003, 11:46 AM
rectocele repair after LAVH

I had LATVH w/BSO & Burch bladder susp. 3/13/03 for prolapsed uterus, cystocele & rectocele. Endometroid cancer found after the fact. Dr. did not fix rectocele at that time & I had posterior colporrhaphy done 11/7/03 to repair rectocele which got worse after first surgery. I had done Kegels, increased water intake & fiber intake to hopefully correct rectocele problems but did not help so had surgery last week. I am doing well overall but wondered what your experience has been in regards to rectocele. Part of incision split open but dr. says it looks good. Swelling is gradually going down and sitting is getting easier. BM's have been much easier since surgery was done. I still have bleeding from vagina and stinging and itchiness is driving me crazy. I know complete healing takes 4-6 weeks but I wonder if you would mind sharing your experience, especially in regards to healing time, satisfaction with repair of rectocele and lastly, if you care to comment, resumption of sexual intercourse. Right now it seems like it will never be possible again without pain or difficulty. Best Regards, Cindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2003, 03:33 PM

sent you a pm....
Unread 11-17-2003, 07:21 PM

Cindy: Something than can REALLY help with the discomfort level (pain/itching) as you continue to heal is Dermoplasty spray. It's an anesthetic spray that can be found in the first-aid section at the pharmacy and is completely safe (unless you have an allergy to Benzocaine, that is).

I, personally, had no difficulties with resumption of intercourse after ANY of my multiple repairs (although the last one was just 8 weeks ago so can't comment on that). Unfortunately, the old standard rectocele repair (posteror colporraphy) is probably the most notorious for causing painful intercourse due to scar tissue formation. The newer techniques (called, "site specific" or "defect directed") do help alleviate some of that, but unfortunately not all docs are doing them.

I didn't notice your age in your post but did note that you no longer have your ovaries. You might inquire about the usage of Estrace, which is a vaginal estrogen cream (minimal systemic absorption) that really can help restore the integrity of the vaginal tissue. MANY docs prescribe it prophylactically post-op to aid in healing. Keeping the tissue healthy will greatly benefit you when it comes to resumption of sexual activity.

Best of luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2003, 11:34 AM

seedoubleyou:

i'm curious about the number of repairs you've had done. i was hopeful i'm done now. things feel a little better on the itching/burning side today--find that ice-ing it when it gets intense really helps. i do take premarin orally but wondered if a local cream in vagina would help with the local symtoms. i see dr. thurs. for followup and will inquire at that time. i wish i had known about "site specific" repairs but found it difficult to find much info anywhere about posterior repairs. my biggest concern was scar tissue because i have a tendency to go overboard on scar formation in general. i'm optimistic though and hope that it won't become a problem when healing is complete.

thanks for your reply.
Unread 11-18-2003, 08:25 PM

Hi again: Glad to hear today is a better day. I completely forgot about ice -- I know many women who swear by bags of frozen veggies straight out of the freezer!

Sorry if my rather lengthy list of procedures scared you. Unfortunately, I'm just not one of the luckier ones. I have very weak tissue and evidently do NOT form the scar tissue that theoretically is supposed to help reinforce the repair sites (at this point, I'm chock full of mesh, screws, and permanent sutures). My situation is NOT the norm, though, although failures are not uncommon. My doc just told me yesterday that 30% of prolapse surgeries that are done are repeats!

I can't emphasize enough the need to take seriously the post-op restrictions that were given to you. Baby that rectocele repair. Avoid constipation and straining at all costs. Treat coughs and sneezes immediately. Avoid heavy lifting. And do those Kegels. Give your body the time that it needs to heal completely; you won't regret it!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register