feeling wary of feeling good | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

feeling wary of feeling good feeling wary of feeling good

Unread 11-18-2003, 02:36 AM
feeling wary of feeling good

Okay, I know that title probably looks dumb... today was the first day starting week 4 for me post op. So far today I have had no pain to speak of. By that I mean I didnt need anything more than Aleve for pain. (whereas I have been eating Vicodin like they were Pez candies!!) I had a pretty active day, with DD's ballet class this morning, and hubby and I went for a walk this morning as well.... why am I so scared of feeling better? Isnt this what the goal is? Why am I waiting for the other shoe to drop and things to get bad again? I am still having night sweats, and horrible insomnia... the pharmacy wont give me my sleeping med (Ambien) because I still have some Vicodin left and apparently they wont give you both, even though the same Dr wrote both prescriptions. What am I supposed to do? I havent slept more than 3 hours a night for the past 3 days. With a hyperactive 4 year old at home that isnt a good thing. Any ideas??? I think I am about to try and go lay down again.... here's hoping that it is a pleasant night... hubby has adapted to having the windows all open, thanks to God for that!!! *grin* We live in apartments, and the complex regulates the heating and A/C so they are switched to heat for the winter... and it has been in the 70's and 80's for the past month... and we have HEAT!! Go figure. I have been living in tanks and shorts... and ice bags all over my body. *grin* Anyway.. anyone else have this feeling of waiting to start feeling bad again?? Or am I a freak?? *wink*

~Regina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2003, 07:25 AM

You are supposed to feel better as time goes on! Don't torture yourself with the idea that the other shoe is going to drop!

I think the insomnia will eventually go away. It did for me (it took several weeks) and I decided to just let nature run its course without taking any sleep aids.

I'm glad it's going well for you. Best wishes.
Unread 11-18-2003, 12:50 PM
**HUGS**

Thanks so much for the encouragement!! I am still feeling pretty good this afternoon, just a little tired. I just woke up at 12:30pm... I didnt get in bed until after 6 am. This insomnia is the worst, but I can handle it... as long as I am feeling better pain wise I can handle the sleeplessness. Dr is supposed to deal with my pharmacist this morning, so I can get my sleep med. I have chronic insomnia... so that is really nothing new to me. I think honestly it is still because my body is trained to be awake at night... I used to work the 1pm-7am shift when I was still in nursing (pre-Kat days) and even though that was 5 years ago, I still have trouble sleeping at night. Oh well... another day to enjoy, so I better scoot. **HUGS** Thanks so much for the encouragement!! **HUGS**

~Regina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2003, 03:52 PM

HI Regina,
I too was surprised at how well I felt after surgery - but hey! don't knock it!!!

I also suffered from insomnia (though I didn't have a 4 year old to deal with!! ))... I found that after about 5-6 weeks things sorted out again and I've been sleeping a lot better since that point.

I often find that if I can't get to sleep , I just go to another room and read until I get drowsy. - by not trying to focus on sleeping, I seem to "trick" my self into getting sleepy.
Unread 11-20-2003, 12:14 AM

Hi Regina,
I can really identify with the insomnia you are feeling. I can sometimes experience bouts of insomnia if I take certain pain medications. I have been a 30 year migraine sufferer and some of the medications I have taken for migraines caused a lot of sleepless nights. I noticed that happening after hyster surgery also because I was prescribed Vicodin for pain. I would take the pain med as prescribed and even though I was exhausted from surgery I would find myself unable to fall asleep! Very frustrating! My DS who inherited the migraine problem was the one who pointed out the connection between pain medication and insomnia to me. Also I read an article once that totally supports the idea that working late night shifts and odd hours contributes to insomnia. My mom told me that she had her worst bouts of insomnia during her early years of menopause. Wow! I better go make myself a cup of herbal tea and start counting those sheep!
Take care!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register