questions about dysplasia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

questions about dysplasia questions about dysplasia

Unread 11-18-2003, 08:30 AM
questions about dysplasia

Hi Ladies,

I had my TAH/BSO on Oct 1/03 due to severe Endo for many years.
My pathology report came back with Severe Dysplasia - Carcinoma In-Situ at my 6 weeks check up.
I had some granulation. How do I know if this is gone? Is it when I have no discharge at all?
This was a shock to both me and my GYN as I have never had an abnormal pap. I went every year.

In my state of mind I never asked any questions at all. He said it was gone and to come back for a pap in 6 months.

I am now finding myself with so many questions.

1) Could it be from HPV and if so do I need to be treated? Is it still there? Can my husband have HPV?
2) Is there any other follow up that can be done? I am worried now that it can be in my Vagina. How would I know?

Sorry to babble.
I saw this thread and just jumped right in.

Take Care
Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2003, 09:19 AM
questions about dysplasia

's Michelle! I'm sorry to hear that received concerning news. If you have questions about this, please contact your doctor and have him/her discuss it further with you.

The majority of cases of dysplasia are caused by HPV. If you have it, then your husband probably has it as well (approximately 80% of adult Americans have one form or another of HPV). Even after surgery there's a pretty good chance you still carry the virus in your system, but that doesn't mean it will necessarily cause you problems in the future. HPV is treated symptomatically. If you develop symptoms of some type (abnormal cells), then they are removed. So, really, you have had your treatment. Your husband, if he has it, cannot be treated--you can't remove the virus from your system, your system has to fight it off. So, he could be totally symptom-free because his system is able to fight it off (although I have to say that men almost never get any symptoms from this).

Things you can do to help yourself are to practice good health. Eat well. Get plenty of sleep. Keep your stress to a minimum. Take a multivitamin (there is some evidence that folic acid helps our bodies fight off the virus). Exercise moderately. Pray/meditate/do yoga. All of these things are believed to improve the immune functions of the body, which will hopefully help you fight off the virus.

Most women who have had their hysterectomies for dysplasia or cancer have a PAP (ThinPrep is recommended--more reliable) every 3 months for the first 2 years. Just to be sure it really is gone. When the docs remove the cervix, they need to cut around the cervix to detach it from the vaginal wall. If they don't cut a wide enough circle, sometimes some abnormal cells can remain behind. That's why PAP's are taken of the vaginal cuff--because that's the most likely place abnormal cells would show up.

You might like to ask your doc to check your vaginal wall for abnormal cells. This can be done in the office with a vinegar test and colposcopy (an examination with a high-powered magnifier). The vinegar makes any abnormal cells turn white so that they are visible to the eye. This might relieve some of your anxiety. I have one done yearly (I had abnormal cells removed from my vaginal wall at the time of my hysterectomy).

If you haven't seen a gynecologic oncologist, you might request a referral to see one. They are the experts when it comes to female cancers and precancers. They might be able to set your mind at ease as well.

Good luck, Michelle! Please let us know how you are getting along or if you have any further questions!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register