TVH - Stacy's Castle Story (long) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Vaginal Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TVH - Stacy's Castle Story (long) TVH - Stacy's Castle Story (long)

Unread 11-21-2003, 02:18 AM
Stacy's Castle Story (long)

My Castle Story
SpaceyStacy
Surgery date: 11-17-2003

I was to report to the Castle at 11am on Monday the 17th of November. I left the house earlier than needed because my Dr never did tell me WHERE I was to be when I got there. Luckily through my nerves I had the presence of mind to go directly to the Administrations office where they do patient admissions. That process took less than 10 minutes and before I knew it my husband and I were sitting in a waiting room with a bunch of other people that were there that day for various surgeries.

About an hour after I was seated in the waiting room I was called back to prepare for my surgery. I changed into the OR garb and put my cute little blue cap on and brown booties on my feet.

I went back into an area that they told me to wait. It was a small partitioned area with a curtain. The nurse came in and put my IV in and asked a bunch of questions such as “do you do street drugs” and “when was the last time you drank alcohol” .. Assuming I was being prepped for the “A” man.

ANYWAY.. I had to wait in that little area for another 3 hours!! :Complain:

I wasn’t called into the OR until 3pm. Once I was in there everything went pretty fast. I was OUT like a light within 5 minutes of arriving to the OR. They used a General. No spinal or anything but a general. I was fine with that.

Next thing I knew I was in recovery. I was having a hard time waking up. General Anesthesia has a way of keeping you pretty groggy for a while.

Once I was awake enough I was taken to my hospital room. It was a little after 5pm by this time.

I don’t remember much of the first couple of hours but I sure did feel good by about 7 or 8 that night. I had the morphine drip going. I felt no pain at all. I actually felt good. The only thing keeping me from wanting to get out of the bed was the fact that I had a catheter in and I was also “packed”.. meaning my vagina was full of gauze.

I loved the leg massager!! I want one!! Not sure if everyone that goes in for these types of surgery get those, but they are wonderful.

The catheter was probably the most uncomfortable thing about my experience. Once that was taken out the next morning I felt better. THEN one of the Drs came in and removed my packing. I thought I was watching a magician pulling hankies out of a sleeve or something. It was like this gauze was never ending. FINALLY it was out and I felt more relieved. Soon after that they took me off the morphine drip.

Little did I know that I could have started taking vicodin as soon as the drip was removed. I wasn’t thinking of pain because I wasn’t feeling any… until the morphine wore off. I couldn’t stand, I couldn’t sit and I couldn’t lay.. so .. I was up and down every minute or so trying to find some comfortable spot.

Finally, I asked for some relief and once I had my pain killers and a gas reliever I was fine. The gas was most of my problem. Its not pleasant… but once my bowels were moving things was fine. The gas reliever they gave me was working well. It was a chewable tab. Even though I had brought my own in they didn’t want me to use it. I use it at home now. I haven’t had too much of a problem with gas today (my first full day home)

What I learned so far about my hysterectomy is that it was done vaginally with no laporescopy (sp) assistance. I have my ovaries but everything else is gone. The Dr told me although my case was successful, it was difficult. He explained that my vaginal opening is very small and he had a problem pulling my uterus through. He said it took 3 of them in the OR to get it out. Two people to pull the tissue spreaders and the Dr working on the cervix and uterus. He said they were drenched in sweat by the time they were done.

When the Dr told me that things from past experiences made more sense. I had a Dr tell me when I was 18 (while at the hospital after the birth of my first child) that I couldn’t have babies bigger than 7 pounds due to my narrow area there. I managed to have 6 babies and 4 of them were over 7 pounds… I am truly blessed. All deliveries were uneventful.

What amazes me is that I had NO swelling or discomfort in or around the vagina. The only discomfort I feel is inside my lower abdomen. Its not as bad as I thought it would be. It has been no worse than very bothersome period cramps or mild to moderate labor pains.

I have a pretty severe case of swelly belly going on here Im not going to worry about that… I’m just glad its all over with!!

I go back to see the Dr in 5 weeks. I don’t expect to hear anything bad from pathology but I am still a little anxious about that.

OH.. The most IMPORTANT thing of all… I brought my very own crown to the castle with me, along with flyers for HysterSisters.com. Anytime I had visitors, I made sure my crown was on J Everyone loved the idea of it and a few nurses requested to keep the flyers (which is why I printed them)

I was home by Wednesday afternoon… less than 2 days in. What a relief!

I’m glad I didn’t run like I WANTED to and that it is all behind me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register