Question: Continuous BCPs - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question: Continuous BCPs Question: Continuous BCPs

Unread 12-16-2003, 10:41 AM
Question: Continuous BCPs

Hi Michelle,

I am still pre-op, but I was on continuous pills for a while for my bleeding. Since you are post-op, the advice may be a little different, but I was a member of another forum where I posted a question about continuous pills. Turns out some docs know more than others and many women have figured out a few things on their own and they all come to a similar conclusion as you.

My doc said I could go the whole summer or even a year and simply decide when I wanted a hormone-free week/period. This is not the case for most women. Most women will have some PMS symptoms and some breakthrough bleeding somewhere from 3 weeks to 3 months. You won't have the bleeding, but it sounds like you have pain to tell you when it is time. At that point, if they take a week to withdraw from the pills, things seem to resolve when they go back on the active pills. It does not have to be at the end of a pack or on any certain day of the week. They just take a seven day break when their body says that it is time.

If being off of the pills entirely doesn't work for you, ask about the progesterone cream or about having withdrawals from the BCP when the pain and PMS kick in to reset things.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2003, 12:20 PM
Thanks, Again!!!

Well, I am in one of my good weeks right now. I did have to result to darvocet last week. Luckily my doctor called in a refill without question (only for a limited amount).

I just stay confused constantly about what is right for me. On days when I feel good, like today it is hard to remember how bad I felt just last week and something like surgery just seems out of the question. On days when I really hurt, I would do anything to stop the pain.

I guess in time I will sort all of this out. It is great to be able to come here and post ideas and questions and get such great support and feedback.

s to you all
Unread 12-16-2003, 04:33 PM

Would love to hear what you ended up doing. My TVH is scheduled for Jan 9, 2004, and my doc and I have discussed my keeping one ovary. I am interested to know if you stayed on the BCP, since being on them makes me absolutely crazed. I am also curious about what changes, other than the obvious lack of bleeding, there is with keeping an ovary, and the benefit thereof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2003, 05:58 PM

Hey Lisa:

Well I have to say that after my surgery I felt incredible. Without all the bleeding, I had so much more energy. I, in general, felt 16 again, complete with the libido. That lasted for awhile.

I for one believe my doc did the right thing by leaving my ovaries. At least this way we could say we gave it a go.

Right now I am hanging onto to my ovaries for dear life. The women in my family have a particularly bad time with menopause and I am not yet ready to deal with all of that.

At my doctor's instruction I am staying off the bcps for awhile.
Unread 12-16-2003, 08:07 PM

Dear LisaMac,

I have one ovary remaining. I had the right one out due to terrible pain from it in 1999... and then the TAH in 2002. I don't want to have the other one out but it may need to come out since it is starting to become painful (we think) and the doctors also think I could still be having endo troubles.

So some of the decision needs to be based on why you are having the hyst in the first place... best wishes for a successful outcome.

Sarah
Unread 12-18-2003, 04:00 PM
Update ... Again

I finally made friends with the idea of going in for an exploratory lap with the possibility that my doc can find something to remove that will either remove the source of my pain or at least lessen it. I have a surgery consult on the 30th.

Wish me luck and prayers are most welcome!!!

Unread 12-19-2003, 06:08 AM

Thanks so much for the input. Having the surgery from endo hyperplasia, uncontrolled bleeding, huge clots, etc, etc. The right ovary always seemed to cause problems, and it's actually quite a bit larger in diameter than the other. I think I'm convinced to keep it. What's the worst that will happen, I'll start getting painful cysts on the remaining one, and have to have it too, right? At least I can say I tried. And BCP ARE NOT an option for me.
Unread 12-19-2003, 08:42 AM

Lisa,

Here's my All we can do is read, ask a lot of questions, make the best decision we are capable of making, hope for the best. If for some reason things don't go as planned, then we just have to go from there.

I know you will feel an improvement in the quality of your life just from stopping the bleeding. If that turns out to not be enough of an improvement, I assume you can opt to have one or both ovaries removed at some point in the future.

Hang in there and let us know how you are doing!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register