Possible endemetrial cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Possible endemetrial cancer Possible endemetrial cancer

Unread 11-22-2003, 12:11 PM
Possible endemetrial cancer

I have been having problems with postmenopausal bleeding. Went to dr. had pap smear. It came out negative, but with endemetrial tissue present. She wants me to see an ob/gyn and have an endemetrial biopsy. I can understand it, but I can't make myself make the appointment. I know its stupid not to, but...... there are other things going on. My husband has been fighting colon cancer for the past two years and I feel like I'm on overload.
Just the thought of all those tests has me paralyzed.
Anybody out there willing to give me a good pep talk? I sure would appreciate it. Wolf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2003, 01:09 PM

Wolf,

Please, please, please, don't delay! Many of us on this website are here, alive and healthy today, because we simply made ourselves make the appointments....and because many of us had doctors that wouldn't settle for "Oh, probably just menopause..." as an answer. I'm one of them! If it's not cancer, you'll know it soon enough and be relieved. If it is, the sooner you know, and deal with it, the better.

I had irregular bleeding when I was 47-48, and the doctor insisted on testing--hormones, ultrasound, d&c, and finally a total hysterectomy. The cancer turned out to be early endometrial, requiring no further treatment and with an excellent prognosis. I was scared to death at first, but I know now that it's the best thing I could have done for myself. So get going with your appointment. You'll have a whole cheering squad here rooting for you and encouraging you. Keep us informed!

Blessings.
Marlene
Unread 11-22-2003, 01:23 PM

Wolf, I second everything Marl just said and completely understand you're feeling of being over whelmed, noit wanting to deal with it, but the waiting and worrying is always worse than knowing what you are dealing with, Please make that appt or have a support person make it for you. There were many times i needed my husband to make appts for me, bw my advocate and cut thru the red tape. Please keep in touch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2003, 01:30 PM
I Second Marlene's Recommendations

Wolf--

Please do not play Russian roulette with your life! Listen to what Marlene has said. I thought my mild, intermittent spotting between periods was the first sign I was entering menopause. I delayed seeing a gynecologist for several months. As a result, I ended up needing more extensive surgery (a radical hysterectomy and removal of 30 lymph nodes instead of a total hysterectomy) as well as internal and external radiation.

Endometrial cancer is very curable if treated early, but much more difficult to cure if diagnosed later. Please read the other post on "age at endometrial cancer diagnosis" for more information on this subject. Even if it turns out that you have endometrial cancer, you have an excellent chance for an early diagnosis and an opportunity for successful treatment. Please don't throw that opportunity away and jeopardize your life.

While I hope that it turns out that you do not have endometrial cancer, if it shoulld turn out that you do, please see a gynecologic oncologist. They are the experts in treating women's gynecologic cancers.

Good luck and please let us know how things turn out.

MoeKay
Unread 11-22-2003, 04:07 PM

Don't let the fear stop you from going for that check!!!!!.....I had been spotting for awhie and the Dr said it was just post-men related...It wasn't...turned out to be endo cancer...but not bad concidering...I had a total Hysterectomy and radiation both of which were not nearly as bad as I thought they'd be....and everything really turned out well...I feel great now...Please don't wait....If I'd gone the year befor I may not have needed the radiation treatments....Don't wait a day longer...It will not be as bad as you think....AndeC
Unread 11-22-2003, 06:44 PM
Just Do It

Wolf, make the appointment for the uterine biopsy. It's not that bad and in just that one appointment they should be able to tell you alot about whether it is or isn't.
My biopsy was done in the doctors' office. My husband went in with me, held my hand. Afterwards we went out for dinner

I wish I would have gone much sooner. I could kick myself for the two years I spent going through menopause naturally. I have burned all the books I had that told me heavy bleeding and clotting during a period was normal. Even had my own gyn tell me that.
But I was regular. 28 days just like clockwork. With no bleeding in between cycles. So it DID appear to be normal. Then one year ago in November, I just stopped having periods. I was post-menopausal. Almost didn't go for my pap test this year, but wanted the bloodwork done to see if my FSH levels indicated I was postmenopausal.
What a surprise to have an abnormal pap showing "atypical glandular cells". That is what led to my biopsy.

However, I will always wonder.....if I would have had a biopsy two years ago, maybe it would have been Ia instead of IIIC, Grade 3. I would have just had a hysterectomy instead of a radical hysterectomy and facing my radiation and chemo treatments.

Please go.

Nancy J.
Unread 11-22-2003, 08:01 PM
Wolftrap

I had a pap smear that showed the same thing, several years ago. My gyn said that it is very common, particularly if you are taking any hormones, and 90% of the time it's nothing. He redid the Pap and did an endo biopsy, just to be sure. Both were fine.
Before you go in for the biopsy, take 3 ibuprofen and take a deep breath when the doctor takes the sample. It's a quick pinch, then it's over. I had spotting for a day or two afterwards, and a little cramping the afternoon of the biopsy, but it was no big deal.

By any chance, do you live in Vienna?
Just wondering.

Janie
Unread 11-22-2003, 11:06 PM

Please go get the biopsy . . . and if that comes back clean, don't hesitate to keep pushing until you know for certain what is causing the bleeding. I had an endo biopsy that came back clean, but a D&C a month later showed grade 3 endo cancer. Turned out to be an early stage, but had I not had the D&C, who knows how it would have turned out.

I can't imagine how difficult it must be for you, already dealing with your husband's cancer, but you need to take care of yourself too. I hope it turns out that you do not have cancer. Please make the appointment, and let us know how it turns out! This is a great place to get support.

Cheryl
Unread 11-23-2003, 05:38 AM

Please get the biopsy ... its too big a risk to take not too !

Good luck , Maggie .
Unread 11-23-2003, 07:35 AM

Please listen to all who are telling you to get that test and do it soon. You need to determine quickly if there is cancer so if there it does not have a chance to grow; pls keep in mind that most gyn cancers caught in early stages are curable and very early stage ones often are "cured" by surgery alone. I understand it must be more difficult give your husband's situation. Don't hesitate to tell your gyn about your husband's situation since this is added stress on you.
Please let us know that you have made that appointment for further testing. s. peggiesue

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register