endometrial cancer and estrogen | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

endometrial cancer and estrogen endometrial cancer and estrogen

Unread 11-22-2003, 07:11 PM
endometrial cancer and estrogen

I used Triest for menopause prior to my diagnosis of endometrial cancer. After cancer surgery my oncologist put me back on estrogen. My surgery was a few days before the news about Premarin/progesterone causing cancer. Eighteen months later I am still on Triest and the doctors are saying it is my choice and that I know the risks. Is anyone else still taking estrogen after surgery for endometrial cancer. (My diagnosis was type 1, stage 1-b.) If not using estrogen, how are you doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2003, 07:25 PM

My gynecologic oncologist would not allow me to take any type of hormone replacement because of my endometrial cancer diagnosis.

I completed treatment more than four years ago and am doing fine. I did have slight bone loss in the first year and a half after my surgery and radiation. However, I've had three repeat DEXA scans since then which have all been stable, because I've taken other steps to stop bone loss. After all the recent negative studies have come out about HRT, I am truly thankful that my gyn-onc did not permit me to take any type of hormone replacement.

The year after my cancer diagnosis was pretty rough in that I was trying to recover from a radical hysterectomy, the effects of internal and external radiation, a cancer diagnosis and being thrown into surgical menopause. But my body (and mind) adjusted over time, and I'm doing better in all respects than I was before cancer.

Good luck,

MoeKay
Unread 11-22-2003, 07:47 PM

I had a radical hysterectomy for endometrial cancer last December. My doctor recommended no hormone therapy. So far I've been able to survive the hot flashes, irritability, weepiness, "brain fog," etc. I have to make sure I get my "down time," and my walks with the dog and go to bed early. I am on an anti-depressant, but that is not so different because I've struggled with depression for years. I am also hypothyroid, so I take synthroid. Considering that I had complications with my surgery (ruptured bladder) and had previous depression, I think it's going well. It was a blessing that I didn't need radiation treatments.

So I'm living proof that it's possible to function without HRT. I've been back at work (part-time learning assistance teacher) too. It isn't always easy, but I've been able to cope with God's help.

Monalees
Radical hyst. endo & cervical cancer, stage 2/Dec/02/ruptured bladder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2003, 07:53 AM
no hrt

I think I'd been making my way through the worst of the peri-menapausal symptons with out HRT prior to being dx. A few years back a doctor had prescribed premarin for my for the hot flashes etc. I took it for about 6 months without much improvement, then quit. I now wonder if it had anything to do with my dx. When I was dx, I asked about HRT after surgery and she said.. no. Not necessary since I'd already moved past the worst of it all. After surgery, I had some pretty bad night sweats and occassional hot flashes. I think they are now pretty much gone. I'm glad to be past it and am grateful that I don't really need to struggle with whether to take or not take HRT. I'm just going along and doing my thing.. al la natural...
Unread 11-23-2003, 12:20 PM

I hadn't been on any hormone treatment prior to my hysterectomy, and because of the cancer diagnosis my DR wouldn't put me any afterwards. This was in 2000, before much of the more recent news about the cancer correlations with HRT treatments.

In fact, he didn't even recommend soy, I guess because of the plant estrogen.

I've functioned quite well without any hormone treatments. The only noticeable symptom was about three years of hot flashes, but they really weren't debilitating, and they have mostly abated now. Kegel exercises helped some occasional leakiness, but I'm not sure if that's hormonally caused anyway.
I didn't have any mood swings, other than a little weepiness right after surgery when the reality hit me that there had been cancer in my body. I gained weight after surgery, mostly because I was so busy celebrating my good health, but I'm now back to my pre-hyst weight, and exercises and walking are helping to tone up those poor old stomach muscles.

So, in answer to your question about life without HRT, I'd say it's fine!

Take care of yourself!

Blessings.
Marlene

Unread 11-23-2003, 03:10 PM

Hi ""
I too had endometrial cancer stage 1A and my doctor said no hormones no herbs. He did let me take vagefem twice a week, but just calcium and multivitamins No soy either.

I'm doing okay, some hot flashes mostly at night, achy joints, but all and all I'm surviviing. After reading some posts I think I'm doing better than some of the ladies that are trying to adjust to get the right balance of hormones from their doctors.

You won't know how your gonna feel unless you try getting off the hormones. At one point I asked my doctor about a couple of hormones and he asked me how I was feeling and when I said well I do get etc etc he said how lucky do you feel? So guess what I stayed away from the hormones. Each of us is different do what is best for you.
Unread 11-24-2003, 06:44 PM

I had a D&C early in May, when they found my cancer, and then a TAH/BSO. After the hysterectomy, there was no evidence of cancer cells anywhere, meaning the cancer had been removed with the D&C. Since I was only 31 when I was diagnosed, my Dr. thought that osteoporosis and the attendant potential for complications was a greater risk than cancer recurrence, so I'm on Esclim .075/day.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register