Dealing with Pets??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dealing with Pets??? Dealing with Pets???

Unread 11-23-2003, 10:19 AM
Dealing with Pets???

I'm wondering what to do here....I have 2 dogs, each weighs about 55 lbs. and thinks they are lap dogs! I'm certain I won't be up to dealing with them for some time frame after I get home from the castle. My husband will be home for my first post-op week to deal with the pups, but I'm wondering if I should board them for the following week or more? Has anyone been through this? How long until you could deal with your pets?

I really don't want to risk having a pup jump up on my tender tummy during that time. OUCH!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2003, 10:36 AM
Dealing with Pets???

I have two German Shepherds weighing in at about 60 and 65 pounds who like to jump on me when they get excited.

I had my surgery on 10/10 and the dogs were no problem at all. When I came home from the castle, my DH put the dogs outside before I came in and when I got settled he let them in. They came up and very carefully greeted me. They didn't jump on me the entire time and became velcro dogs. One was by my side at all times. Now that my six weeks are up they seem to be back to normal - jumping on me as soon as I walk in the door, but now it's not a problem. I go back to work tomorrow and I'm wondering how they are going to like spending the day by themselves again.

Somehow I think the dogs sense that you are injured and are careful with you.

I wish you the best for your surgery and recovery.
Unread 11-23-2003, 10:52 AM
Dealing with Pets???

I had the same question. I have one that is 45 lbs. and one that is 110 pounds. They both have great dispositions, and the larger one, like yours, thinks that she's a lap dog. We, too, have decided that they will go outside before I come in the house; we're still wondering about when to let them around me though. I guess we'll just play it by ear, maybe bring in one at a time, because when they're together, you can imagine the fun that they have!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2003, 11:16 AM
Dealing with Pets???

Thanks for the responses. I really would like the pups with me during recovery, they're such good company. They're velco dogs most of the time anyway, and tend to be very sensitive and protective to anyone in the house who feels ill.

Since my main recovery room will be upstairs, that's the only real problem. I can't count on being able to get up and down to let them in and out, and they tend to race around the house....over and on beds, into laps, full tilt! They've come close to knocking me down the stairs several times, (they seem to think it's a race) and I'm worried I won't be strong enough to avoid the collision for a while.

My DH is leaning towards boarding them for a few days; since their kennel is the canine version of a Four Seasons Resort, I won't feel too guilty, but I really miss them when they're gone. Maybe I'll just have to wait and see how I do when I come home from the castle; if I'm still pretty immobile after that first 10 days, then off they go to the Puppy Palace.

Just one more thing to think about!!
Unread 11-23-2003, 06:12 PM
Dealing with Pets???

We have several medium/large hounds. Some were happy/bouncy glad to see me once I was home from the hosp and others were more reserved and sensitive to my needs.

We found that putting up babygates to segregate the dogs so they could only visit me when supervised by Hubby worked out pretty well. Had 2 who were my constant 'healer puppies', and the others had to visit me in turn during 'visiting hours'.

Just keep a pillow over your tummy when the pets are nearby.

Sharon
Unread 11-23-2003, 06:45 PM
Dealing with Pets???

I ALWAYS kept my pillow on my tummy when sitting whether they were near me or not.
Unread 12-01-2003, 04:23 PM
dealing with pets after surgery

My husband had surgery last March and when he came home,we let our dog sniff the bandage {with him leashed ,of course} He immediatly retrieved "his puppy" and put it near my husbands feet .He did this when I had a broken ankle.He seems to know things are different and is tolerant of less attention and walks.He has expierienced surgery twice so we figure that is how he knows to leave "our boo-boos'" alone.Beware,out of instinct,when they smell blood they will be inclined to lick the area. Good -Luck
Unread 12-01-2003, 05:35 PM
Dealing with Pets???

One of my dogs is a 55 pound lap dog too. I had some of the same worries but I never considered boarding them. I would have had to board them for months if I had waited for my tummy to not be tender. My umbilical hernia repair is still a little tender at 5 months post-op.

When I came home from the hospital Sadie was a little too excited to see me but quickly sensed something was different. She remained very respectful... and a little subdued. Instead of cuddling with her head on my lap she would lie at my feet instead... at the end of the sofa. Sometimes she would rest her head on my leg but never on my tummy. Then one day, a few weeks ago, she suddenly knew it was ok. I didnt even tell her. She just snuggled up and gently rested her head lightly in my lap and looked up at me and sighed

My other dog is about 80 pounds but he is always a little more distant and never attempts to get on the furniture.

When I was in the hospital all I cared about was that the dogs were being taken care of... I didn't really want anyone to come spend much time with me. I just didnt want the dogs to be alone more than they were used to.
Unread 12-01-2003, 05:49 PM
Dealing with Pets???

Thanks for all the help, ladies. I've decided the pups need to keep me company instead of going off to the canine version of a Four Season's Resort. I keep forgetting how sensitive they are to anhone who is sick/injured; I've had 2 kids home with the flu for the past few days, and can't tear the dogs away from the bedside!
Unread 12-01-2003, 06:31 PM
Dealing with Pets???

I just thought of some other aspects of dealing with pets. From the beginning I could let them in and out if no one else was home. My yard is fenced. But what I could not do was to bend down and lift a water dish off the floor. I could pour more water in, but I could not empty the old water... so make sure someone keeps the water dishes clean and fresh.

My yard is small so I cannot stand for any dog poop to remain out there for even a day. I am afraid if the dogs are excited by a squirrel or something that they will run and step in it. So the day after I got home from the hospital I was out there with the pooper scooper... lol. My first and main chore. No one else will do it... at least not quickly enough. My husband thinks it should just remain there to fertilize the lawn. Ick! It was not easy to go out there each day and do that but it probably was good for me. It got me moving... got me outside... even if I felt horrible.

I also could not bend down and wash doggie paws if they got muddy. Luckily we didn't have alot of rain this summer but I did notice alot more dirt was being tracked in than usual. I tried to ignore it.

This weekend Sadie got horribly muddy and for the first time, at 5 months post-op, I felt comfortable about lifting her into the tub. Bathing her was a hard on my back but it always is.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register