Happy, Happy Thanksgiving | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Happy, Happy Thanksgiving Happy, Happy Thanksgiving

Unread 11-23-2003, 09:41 PM
Happy, Happy Thanksgiving

Just wanted to post a note here to wish all you wonderful ladies and your families the happiest of Thanksgivings.

Thanksgiving is by far and away my favorite holiday. For years, now, I have been hosting my immediate family Mom, Dad, siblings, spouses, neices, nephews, MIL. The family continues to grow: we're numbering 30 this year with the oldest being my Dad at 78 and the youngest are a set of twin boys 13 months old.

I can get quite overwhelmed when I reflect upon how much I have to be grateful for: that my cancer was caught when it was (it may not have been early stage, but not end stage either); for the wonderful doctors who were brought into my life to care for me; for my husband who has been so understanding, supporting and loving throughout this most trying time; for my family (who did nothing but love and help me every day); my friends (who just kept coming and calling and sending cards and flowers and who told me that I looked so great without my hair). The list goes on and on.

I am so grateful, too, that I'm strong enough to host the dinner. Of course, everybody's bringing something and I'm doing much less than I usually do but nonetheless, I'm so glad that we're still all together and that we're able to have the party here. Selfishly, it's so much a part of my tradition.

It's also (I think) the perfect holiday. You get together with friends and loved ones for no reason other than to be thankful and enjoy each other's company.

I'm sending this note now because we have to move a lot of furniture to accommodate all the tables so we're unhooking the computer tomorrow. (My MIL will be going through withdrawal. She loves to play computer games. lol!)

God bless everyone and enjoy the day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2003, 10:07 PM
Maureenie,

You couldn't have said it any better. When I think of all I have to be grateful this year, I weep for joy. To be where I am now, to have had such wonderful support from my friends and family, for my husband who has been such a rock and so loving, my children who did all they could, for all the cards and notes and flowers and gifts from so many people. For the strength I get back every day, for the little bits of hair growing back, for the wonderful nurses and doctors that I met this year. For chemistry and for radiation, for white blood cells and platelets and red blook counts. For ice when I was so thirsty after my hysterectomy. There is so much goodness in this world and so many people that step forward to help - last year I had no idea. For all of you here. So this Thanksgiving means so much more to me. I also give thanks for this life I have now, that is so much more informed and open and alive. For all that I have learned and all that I can do now for others. Indeed, Happy Thanksgiving.
Unread 11-24-2003, 03:46 AM

While I normally say quite a bit in my posts, today I won't do so because there is nothing much I can add to what the lovely ladies before me have so eloquently stated. I will just repeat a quote from my hero Lance Armstrong's first book, It's Not About The Bike, which states, "We Are The Lucky Ones." A cancer survivor sent that statement in an email message to Lance right after his diagnosis. Shortly after his treatment ended, Lance came to realize how true the statement was. Lance holds a special place in my heart because he was born on September 18, 1971, the day my husband and I were married. I am also convinced that the statement is true, and the thrill of it all hasn't faded one bit in the 4 1/2 years since my diagnosis. In fact, things just keep getting better and better!!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

MoeKay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2003, 05:32 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to All.
This is such a nice thread to read. I also believe the phrase "We are the lucky ones" is so true. I am truly blessed with family & friends.

I am having 19 family members at my home. I usually have Thanksgiving, but last year it was just 2 days after a chemo, so I couldn't. This year will be a very thankful Thanksgiving.

A special Thanks to all my hyster sisters. This past 15 months would have been much harder without all of you.

Our first snow of the season this morning!

Ruth S
Unread 11-25-2003, 01:57 PM

My father had a brain injury one year that basically ended up taking away his ability to communicate well. (He's much better now.) It was my mother's absolute worst year. When I brought my boyfriend at the time to see him in the hospital, and asked my dad if he knew who he was, my dad said, "That's the patient with the RBC that you use to make the Shirley Mirkin." He had what's called "salad speak," and he just couldn't put words together in any kind of sensical order.

At Thanksgiving, we held hands and my dad started his prayer with, "Oh Lord, thank you for being so good to us this year and for all the wonderful things you've done for us . . . " and then my mom just burst out laughing hysterically and couldn't stop for about 10 minutes. I don't think we ever finished the prayer because she was laughing so hard that she started crying. We had company and everything. She just lost it completely.

I think if I say the prayer this year, I will just burst out crying, so I will probably leave it to my dad. I am so grateful for God's loving presence and for His comfort during this very rough year. I am grateful that I have changed as a person. I am grateful that my cancer was caught when it was. Sooner would have been better, but later would have been worse. I am grateful that I've found friendship here on this board and in other groups. I am grateful that I can help others.

I am grateful that my Type A personality enabled me to gain an expertise that can be of help to other people. I am grateful that I am exploring every possible avenue to health rather than just those suggested by my medical team. I am grateful that I am cancer-free. I am grateful (as I have always been) that I have a roof over my head, a car, the ability to support myself, two parents and a sister, good friends and more gifts than I could have ever expected. I am grateful that I live in a country that enables me to do what I want.

I am grateful to be alive.

I have always been a grateful girl. And this year, I am even more so.

I'm sure you won't find it surprising to learn that we'll be having salmon for Thanksgiving (which my mom has served for years), and that we'll be making the baked stuffed potatoes with soy cheese and soy milk. :-) Still, I'll be indulging in that French apple pie! Can't wait!

s to all!
Unread 11-25-2003, 07:40 PM

Like Maureenie, Thanksgiving is my favorite!!!!
We are surrounded with family and friends that we love, and the stress is much lower than Christmastime.
We are heading to my sister's home in S Carolina, along with many other family members for Thanksgiving. My biking son is even flying in to celebrate with us.
To all of my friends on CC who find themselves celebrating the holiday alone, I hope you feel the comraderie of us all here on CC who truly love and care for you. If I could, I would send you a special invite to partake with me and my family this Thanksgiving.

karenann
Unread 11-25-2003, 08:34 PM

I hope that you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Like Karenann said, those of you who might find yourselves alone on this holiday (or any time), I hope you will know that we are all with you in spirit. I am thankful for so many blessings in my life, and I am so thankful for my fellow cc sisters and all of the support and information that is so freely shared here.

Rhonda
Radical hysterectomy, June 2002, cervical cancer, 1b
Unread 11-26-2003, 08:45 AM

Wonderful thread. There are too many things I am thankful for to begin to list here. Having been dxed with endo cancer - thankfully at an early stage- I can say I am very grateful for the gift of life here to allow me to be with my loved ones.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone and may our gracious Lord continue to bless and keep you all under His loving care.
Hugs, peggiesue
Unread 11-26-2003, 03:49 PM

And I wish all of my American Hyster sisters the happiest of Thanksgivings!

Big s
Unread 11-26-2003, 08:12 PM
Happy Thanksgiving, Sisters!

I am thankful for having this site, the support of so many wonderful people, for my family, and for the great new treatments that are coming out now. This is the time of year to
give thanks for all the good in our lives, and for us, a special time.
This year has been a hard one for me, being diagnosed with
stage 3c ovarian cancer at age 31, having surgery, having first line chemo, and now, consolidation chemo with taxol once a month. Yet I truly am thankful for all the blessings in my life, even
more than last year. I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving,
sisters!

Twisted Sister

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register