What is the longest anyone has been on Xanax? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is the longest anyone has been on Xanax? What is the longest anyone has been on Xanax?

Unread 11-24-2003, 06:02 PM
What is the longest anyone has been on Xanax?

I know Xanax is an addictive drug. I have been taking it for pelvic irritation and pain (possibly IC or nerve entrapment or who knows what!). I could have sworn my gyn told me two weeks ago that he was going to leave me on the Xanax for 3 months to see if things would settle down and then he would wean me off of it. He also told me that he wanted me to stay on Wellbutrin for 6 months at which time we would re-evaluate that. When I went for a refill of Xanax today he told his nurse to tell me that I must have misunderstood. He has now given me a script for .25 mg which is half the amount and with instructions on how to taper off. The problem is that so far, Xanax is the only thing that has settled this condition down at all. So, I was wondering, is three months a long time on this drug? Has anyone been on it that long?
He has prescribed Neurontin at my request, but only 300 mg at bedtime with a one month supply. I asked the nurse how long it would take before the Neurontin would kick in. She said I would have to call the pharmacy because they don't really prescribe this drug that much. Now, I am wondering if my gyn is able to adjust the doseage appropriately and for the relief of this totally invasive feeling. My gyn had referred me to a urologist who corrected a small stricture. The urologist wanted to refer me to a neurologist about this nerve like pain, but my gyn said he would rather I just let things try to settle down. I was agreeable to that, but I thought that I would be able to have some relief through meds. Maybe I am jumping the gun, but I don't want to wait any longer than necessary to find the answer to this pain. And, if I would be more appropriately treated by a neurologist what is the point of waiting? Any opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2003, 06:43 PM
Xanax

I was on xanax for about 3 months now they have switched to
another type, that seams a little stronger to me.. Trust me I needed it to stay calm. Today I went to the drug store it cost me $187.00 with insurance, this is for 30 days worth of pain meds,
antibotics, the cream for the 'hole'and of course my antidepressents!!! I swear I'll be a addict before this heals up!!
Unread 11-25-2003, 07:07 AM

Linda,
I know what you mean. I am on:
Tambocor (for pre-existing heart arrythmia)
Wellbutrin (for depression)
Xanax (to calm pelvic irritation)
Neurontin (for nerve pain)
Astelin Nasal spray (for chronic sinusitis)
Claritin D (allergys)
Restoril (for sleep disorder)
Pericolace (for bowel function)
Hmmm! I think if I were to stop taking everything today I would certainly feel like dying. That is the only reason that I continue to take everything. I have to keep hoping that these things will resolve themselves and that there is an answer at the end of the road. I have a co-pay for pharmaceuticals, if I didn't I would not know what to do. Each month is costs me about $150-175 for co-pays alone, but I know that I am a lucky one to not to have to pay full price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2003, 09:22 AM

Dear Kelou,

I can help a little... I was told that it can take several weeks before Neurontin is helpful. I don't know about the Xanax.

Perhaps your doctor can refer you to pain management? Those doctors probably are much more familiar with how to treat ongoing pain problems and especially more familiar with using Neurontin.

I saw a neurologist for my pain problem. It was not very helpful at that time. He only looked at the nerves in my legs and did not do any tests for nerve problems in my pelvis. I have heard the same from others. I am not sure if that is because there really isn't a way to detect nerve problems within the pelvis or not.

I am going back to see the neurologist because I am continuing to have persistant numb spots in my legs.... maybe he can help with that who knows.

Best of luck in your treatment!

Sarah
Unread 11-25-2003, 11:15 AM
(( Kelou ))

I have never heard of Xanax being given for pain relief... Wow! I have taken xanax for anxiety and have been doing do for years. I do not take it daily, just during off times so I can stay on somewhat a normal sleep pattern. I'm sorry there seems to be confusion over there in your doctors office.. There is still alot of healing going on and about where you are in recovery. If you are unsatisfied with the doctor and his approach, you can always seek a second opinion. Or find a neurologist if you are convinced things will not get better with time...

Good luck to you!
Unread 11-25-2003, 12:45 PM

Thank you sisters for your comments. I just got back from the pharmacy where I asked the pharmacist about the Neurontin. She said it varies for everyone and first you have to work up to a therapeutic dose. I don't know if my gyn is going to be comfortable with dosing this. My massage therapist says some of his patients are on 5000 mg a day. Wow! I think I will give it a little time and experiment by taking it 2 times a day and then three and see if I have any side effects and if it changes the pain at all. The pharmacist said that's what the doctors tell their patients to do. I have tried taking 300 mg during the day and one at night for two days without side effects. Your suggestion SBlumen about a pain management doctor is a good one. What kind of doctor is that anyway? Good luck on your visit to the neurologist again. I hope they figure it out. And Susie QM you are right I am still early in the healing process. I don't know why, but I seem to have forgotten this lately. In fact, my DH just left home from his lunch break and reminded me of this as we talked about our concerns. The Xanax has seemed to help because it is calming the nerves in my pelvic region, but this is just a theory.
Unread 11-25-2003, 01:05 PM
Kelou

Well Xanax does relax the central nervous system, so it would make sense you have had some relief... In our state pain management doctors are mostly neurologists.. I am learning that most gp's and gyns don't want to prescribe stuff for pain managment, they would rather have you go to a PM doc... Yeah!!! Let's add one more doc into the mix. And one other thing, it is easy to forget you are still recovering at this stage because most have returned to daily routines, etc. I hope you find some answers soon. I know how frustrating it can be to deal with ongoing issue's.

Unread 11-25-2003, 07:47 PM

You know in our cases being prolonged recoveries I think Dr's at some point get afraid of us. We have to have our meds to survive
the pain, and other problems for longer then most people. Face it
Dr's like to give you 30 pills for you to "GET OVER" our problems.
And of course NO refills!!! As many meds as I take its scarey!!
I have not even started on any hormones yet I just don't want to
take anymore meds then I have to.. Linda
Unread 11-26-2003, 04:11 AM

You know your are right. I think the doctors do become afraid of us. Maybe it becomes a liability issue with them, like they begin to think they did something wrong or we will accuse them of that. Also, when I speak to my nurse now she acts like she is annoyed with me. I haven't done anything wrong but because I keep calling and have to go in about continued problems they act like they just want me and my problems to go away. Well I would love to go away and never have to see them again! But, because of this internet site and the support of you sisters I feel empowered and I am not going to go away until I can live comfortably in this body of mine.
Unread 11-26-2003, 05:22 AM

I know for positive about that.. When I ruptured I was taken into
surgury and operated by surgeons, thats all they do is operate
on folks. These guys are all doggie housers, one was '26'
and this Dr had so many degrees it was unreal!!! Well when I was released from the hosp this Dr sent me to the wound clinic
3 days a week, I never saw him again untill I went back into surgury 3 weeks later for infection!!! After that I saw him about
4 weeks later, and that was that!! This Dr said 'call' me if you
develop another infection, GOODBYE!! I could not believe it, I am
walking around Dallas with this hole in my stomach and NO ONE
was looking at it!!! I hightailed it to my primary Dr!! My primary
said thats how surgeons are, NO bedside manners, and they
unload you quick.. My primary said that this surgeon knew I had
a problem caused by another Dr and he did not want to risk any
more issues on "his watch!!" I agree these Drs now worry about
malpractise suits but.... I think 'patient DUMPING' is wrong!!!!
How many people get dumped, and then don't have the good sence to run,,,,,,,, to another Dr????? Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register