Would you do it again?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Would you do it again?? Would you do it again??

Unread 11-25-2003, 03:53 AM
Would you do it again??

I an curious to know, if after seeing all that 'can' happen with
a hyst, how many of you ladies would do it again??
I for one would NOTTTTTTTT!!!!!
Also how many ladies were warned by their Dr's that there could
be problems????????????
My Dr told me that it would be the best thing I ever did!! NOT!!!
I for one would of run like hell if I knew what was going to happen
to me.. I barely ever had colds before this, I have never had the
flu, nothing, healty as a horse!! BEFORE!!!! linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2003, 05:46 AM
Would you do it again??

Hi Linda...

Even with this 'issue' that I have (requiring more surgery due to dr. putting a stitch through my bladder during tah)..I would still do it again.

I was in some pretty bad pain..so much so that I didn't even really realize how bad it was, until it was GONE!

True, I've been in continuous pads (& diapers) since Aug 28th..and my butt is raw ...but I'd do it again just not to feel like a wrung out dishcloth 25 days out of each month.

I think for some of us..the road is just longer..the really hard to swallow part is that this shouldn't have happened to us!! The anger I've been dealing with is like none I've ever experienced in my life.

I've had rotten and unfair things happen in the past..I had a tubal ligation 10 years ago, and had a 'rare' ectopic pregnancy 6 short months later. After they 'fixed' that, I was readmitted for days w/a horrible infection. I've been 'passed over' for job promotions at work, I've had a husband who acted like a total jerk for 16 years before he got 'help'. Believe me, I could teach a course in 'things that make me angry', but I've never had to deal w/anything that's made me THIS angry and frustrated!

I just have to work through it and I know it'll come out ok at some point..just gotta try to keep the faith..I can't do anything about what's happened to me, but I have to believe that the future will be brighter..and to think I picked that name BEFORE I had any complications!!!

I KNOW where you're coming from, sister!!
Unread 11-25-2003, 09:13 AM
Would you do it again??

Dear Linda.... I am sorry you are struggling with this so much... you have been through alot physically and emotionally. I can't imagine having the troubles you have had with your incision etc.
It must be very frustrating for you.

I have had pelvic pain for most of the last 13 years. I thought the TAH was my "answer". I don't regret having it even though I am still having problems. I think I would be having more problems had I not had it.

One thing that has really helped me cope over the years is realizing that I am in charge of my attitude and... with that in mind... trying the best I can to choose a positive and constructive attitude. I can't change what has already happened to me but I can move forward and try to make the best of where I am at now... I also have realized that worry and anger (especially at things that are in the past and are over) in the end only hurts me by taking up my precious energy and time... it doesn't change anything and it has no affect on the people or things that might have hurt me. This doesn't mean I don't feel those things I have just tried to make it a habit not to dwell too long and to move on.

SOmetimes I do feel like I will always have pain... but rather than being upset or angry I have just tried to focus on how to cope with that prospect and carry on.. I only get one shot at life and I just don't want to let my entire life to be defined by my medical problems...

I don't know if that is helpful or not.... it is just how I have learned to cope over the years... and what I have learned by watching other people bravely carry on despite tremendous physical challenges (like my Mother-in-law, Michael J. Fox, and Christopher Reeves to name a few).

Many ((hugs)) for you Linda... and for you too Brighterfuture.

Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2003, 11:03 AM
Would you do it again??

Linda,
Yes, I most certainly would do it again. While the hyst didn't fix all my pain and swelling problems at least I am not bleeding the majority of the month. I no longer have to change my sheets due to accidents and I am no longer trying to plan events around my period. Although in the last few months before the hyst there was no planning as I never knew when it would hit. While I do still have pain I no longer have the cramping type pain so I suppose the hyst did fix that. I also wonder if without the hyst if I would be in even more pain than I am currently in. My uterus was also prolapsing so the hyst was inevitable.

My motto is that I cannot change the past but I can try and change the future. I am still hoping to find some answers to my ongoing troubles. Some of which may be due to the hyst, and some of which may not.

Unread 11-25-2003, 01:37 PM
Would you do it again??

I really have mixed feelings on this subject. I didn't really have a choice in the hysterectomy due to a suspicious mass on my ovary and I am thrilled to not have to deal with bleeding 14+ days out of 28. However, I do feel that if I could have seen into the future I would have done a lot more research and asked a lot more questions. I am disappointed in my current health situation and wonder if some (if not all) of it could have been avoided.

But, as the other ladies have said dwelling on the past won't change one single drop of it so, we just have to learn to deal with now and hope for a brighter future.
Unread 11-25-2003, 08:05 PM
Would you do it again??

I don't know in my case going from never even having colds to
this, I think I would of run.. I can not even think this pain will always be here, constantly taking pills, yuk.. I'm sure once the
ball comes out I will feel better at least I could get a decent nights
sleep!! Also the way my Dr straight up lied to us, I wonder if I ever really needed a hyst!! I never got a second opinion because
I had so much trust in her, I regret that.. In hindsight I should of
gotten several medical opinions..
Unread 11-25-2003, 09:18 PM
Would you do it again??

Dear Linda

I can honestly appreciate how hard it must be for you. Everyone recovers differently - I was fine after 12 weeks. I believe having uncertainty about the surgery itself can cause a lot of emotional grief, which can cause a lot of physical grief. I was ecstatic about my surgery - it was the means to the end.

Would I do it again? To stop wearing maternity clothes at 42, being asked when "it" was due and agonizing pain each month? Yes, of course, but then I have always figured once the baby machine was closed there was no need for the tools anyway. My monthly expenses have gone down considerably and even as a young girl I hated the hassle.
As for being ill, I've been on 300mg of iron for 2 years and have rarely been ill since I started them. I call them my wonder drug. I initially started on 600mg to prep me for surgery (I banked my own blood and was very low on the "normal scale") and kept up the 300 well after the surgery. Before iron I was constantly getting colds...may help???

Good luck and take care
K
Unread 11-26-2003, 04:18 PM
Would you do it again??

I would, in a heart beat. Anything to get away from the periods that lasted a month at a time, never knowing when I would "blow through" all of the protection I was wearing (pads AND tampons).
My DH was very understanding though it all, but I know he's glad it's all over.
I have been fortunate not to have any problems after my hyst. I just get to deal with my kidney problems instead, but I've dealt with those all of my life so no change there.
Unread 11-26-2003, 09:24 PM
Would you do it again??

The anwser to the would I do it again question, is one I'm not sure about the answer too. When I was diagnosed with endo, I was sooooo excited to finally have some answers to medical questions that had been causing problems pretty much since the onset of menstruation. I thought I did adequate research before my surgery and even got a second opiion before my hyst, but by then I had already made up my mind to have the surgery.

Up until recently I have been overjoyed with my post-hyst outcome. I wasn't bleeding ALL month, I could have sex w/o feeling like my dh was shoving a knife thru me, etc. Now though I have started having what we think(we'll be finding out w/ an addtional upcoming surgery) that my prev Dr didn't get all the endo, and that it's growing again, and causing problems similar to before I ever had my hyst(only diff is I'm not bleeding).

So would I do it again... I'd have to say that I would have done it differently, with my eyes wide open, and with lots of support, if indeed I needed it done at all!

<admin. snipped for legal reference>

Thanks for all the support!! ><
Wendi
Unread 11-26-2003, 09:42 PM
Would you do it again??

I'm not sure. But before I had a flattttttt tummy, now I live in
girdles, and still look pregnant!! I now know the pharmisist by
name, I am out so much $$$$$$$$. I live in pain 24/7 I just
think I bit off more then I could chew.. I never thought I could end up in this kind of shape.. The way I see it dealing with a
bad period once a month wasn't as bad as this.. If I had found
this web BEFORE I know I never would of had it done. I have
5 children, all natual childbirth, so I can handle pain, but this is
24/7 its to much! When I had my children they would not even
give you a asperin for the pain, so after walking thru hell with
wet drawers on "5" times I know pain.. I guess this long after
the hyst and still changing dressings doesn't help much!
Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register