Would you do it again?? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Would you do it again?? Would you do it again??

Unread 11-27-2003, 05:41 AM
Would you do it again??

This is pathetic Linda.
Is there no other dr you can see? Have they done an ultrasound to see what's going on in there?

{{{hugs}}}
K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2003, 05:56 AM
Would you do it again??

Hi, yes they have done cat scans. Its taking so long because it
was a 3x3 hole, went they took the wound vac off 3 times a
week my husband could look inside at my pelvic!!! This was no
where near a "normal" incision. This was and still is a hole..
I am having the tummy tuck to totally remove it, because now
it looks like I have a huge 'butt' on my 'stomach'!! I have 2 fat
cheeks, and a hole dead center!! Ugly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The pictures are discusting.. I wish I could post the pictures.
linda
Unread 11-27-2003, 05:23 PM
Would you do it again??

I think even w/ the bladder issues I am having now, I would have to say Yes I would do it again. I am not missing the pain and bleeding that I had and the anxiety over if I would need a transfusion each month if I hemmorrhaged.(which I almost did 2 months before I hd this done).
No one really knows what their individual outcome will be after a hyst, but I am not missing hormone fluctuations, periods, and pain 2-3 weeks out of the month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2003, 08:46 PM
Would you do it again??

I think I am having more hormone im-balence now! Of course
I am not taking any hormones I have not heard of one that
did not have some problems attached to them. Linda
Unread 11-27-2003, 08:51 PM
Would you do it again??

Oh Linda, the dr sounds like a butcher.

Sending good vibes that it all gets better for you.

K
Unread 11-27-2003, 11:00 PM
Would you do it again??

No, if I'd known the ramifications of a hyst,
I'd have avoided it at the cost of maybe losing
a kidney! The surgery was the apex of my life's
mistakes.
Leigh
-------
Unread 11-28-2003, 07:08 AM
Would you do it again??

J-Leigh, you know my husband says that ob Dr's make
a small fortune off doing hysts, and the hospitals they
work out of make money. So for them keep a "asembily
line going" with hyst makes all of them fortunes!! On my
part I will never know if I really needed one.. But she said
I did. Now I wish I had talked to someone else to really
did need it. Linda
Unread 11-28-2003, 07:57 AM
Would you do it again??

Linda--

I normally post on the cancer concerns board and not this one, because I do not have any long-term complications from my radical hysterectomy performed in May 1999 for endometrial (uterine) cancer. My 11-inch vertical scar is only slightly visible now.

The fact that I had my surgery enables me to be here today, healthy and happy 4 1/2 years later, despite radical pelvic surgery and a course of internal and external radiation starting six weeks after surgery. As a board-certified gynecologic oncologist, my surgeon was required to have several additional years of training beyond what gynecologists have in performing surgery on and treating women with gynecologic cancers and pre-malignant conditions. He also had 25 years of experience performing operations like the one I was required to have at the time I selected him as my surgeon.

Before undergoing surgery, I sought a second opinion from another gyn-onc at Johns Hopkins. I decided to go with my gyn-onc, who was held in extremely high regard not only by his former patients, but also the medical community at large who I was told sent their daughters, mothers and wives to him.

Because of my cancer, I really had no choice about having the surgery, and I have no doubt that if I had not had the radical hysterectomy, I would be dead by now. I am truly sorry that you have not had a good surgical outcome. I think your posts convey the importance of women who are told they need hysterectomies obtaining a second or third opinion and researching the qualifications and competency of a physician before agreeing to surgery in order to ensure that they obtain the best possible outcome.

I hope that you are able to find another doctor who can resolve your current problems in very short order and restore your quality of life to what it was before your surgery.

Good luck.

MoeKay
Unread 11-28-2003, 08:01 AM
That's a tough question...

I would like to go back in time and perhaps see what would happen to me if I had started out in the Pain Clinic that I'm in now. I thought I had exhausted every therapy at the time...But since I have been in pain since the Hyst., I just don't know...

But the bottom line is that we cannot go back in time. I have tortured myself with this question for several years now, and I think that I have come to terms with everything. I saw a therapist for a while - which really helped too.

It just seems that since I've had the surgery nothing has really changed - except for those horrible monthly visits from H-E-double hockey sticks - I don't miss those one bit. Not having a period is truly a blessing for me as I would have to run to the bathroom every 10 minutes, and the pain was so severe that I couldn't even lay down...I would have to miss important events, work etc.

I know that it is very difficult to feel this way following a hyst. I have been on this road for over 3 years now and it is tough. I can say that I could not have done it alone...all of the sisters here on the road have been here for me every step of the way...and I each and every one of you.

((((((Kim)))))) You said it so well "My motto is that I cannot change the past but I can try and change the future. I am still hoping to find some answers to my ongoing troubles. Some of which may be due to the hyst, and some of which may not." Boy, can I ever relate to that statement!!!

I will keep you all in my prayers....
Unread 11-28-2003, 08:00 PM
Would you do it again??

My son said it so clear, before a hyst your trading
one set of problems, for a whole new set of problems!
I for one Love this web as I learning what I should be
looking for in my struggle. I have lost a lot thru this
I seem to have lost my ability to trust Drs, its almost
to the point i'm scared of them. Now if I had a ingrown
toenail I would run to another Dr to make sure the first
Dr was telling the truth!! I see myself spending alot of
money on 2nd, and3rd opinions! linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register