Would you do it again?? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Would you do it again?? Would you do it again??

Unread 01-03-2004, 06:21 AM
Would you do it again??

You couldn't pay me to do this over again. My life has been ruined by my hyst. I just wish I would have done more research and tried different therapies before ruining myself. Some ladies will say it is cheaper in the long run for them but I beg to differ. Since when do they have sales on HRT? My copays are terrible anyway and I am spending more on meds than I did with pads and tampons. And at least I could count on the pain subsiding a bit during the month. Now I just feel like garbage 24/7.

me? Never would I do this to my body ........ever again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2004, 09:31 AM
A BIG NO

No NEVER in a million years would I let a doctor open me up again.

NO NO NO....

Renee
Unread 01-04-2004, 02:31 PM
Would you do it again??

Linda, I hope that you find a dr. that can help you with your problems. You must be a tough lady to endure all that you have.

Good luck with everything.
Tam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2004, 09:55 AM
Would you do it again??

I had the TAB for cervical cancer. It was a 3.9mm lesion found on a cone biopsy. After they removed everything the doctor told me there was no cancer found. They got it with the biopsy. He said the the CIN was extensive and it would all have turned into cancer eventually.
Well since that surgery on Sept 23 2003 I have not been able to have intercourse with DH. Everytime we do I end up on the floor in agony. (another post)
I know I should be grateful not to have cancer any longer. I am sure there are 1000'S of people who would give up sex for their lives without that disease. I am just so honkerblonked that I have finally found a wonderful man to be with and this crap has to happen.
So to answer the question, no I would not do it again. I am sure if I would have been on this site prior to the hyst. I would have made a more informed decision.
Teri
Unread 01-10-2004, 10:28 AM
If I knew then, what I know now, I'd RUN!

I'm only four months post op, but with numerous complications, and daily chronic pain. I wish I hadn't done it, as post op is very frustrating for me.

As I face another surgery, I've become the woman I didn't want to be. I'm sad, quiet, and need pain pills just to be functioning.

I've been passed up for promotions. I'm a regular at the doctor's office, sometimes going once a week. I have spent $2000 in prescriptions since my hysterectomy, for the variety of complications that have arisen during this 4month stretch.

I know some of you are reading this laughing saying only four months, what does she know. And if you are, there's nothing I can do about it. But I'm a different woman than I was a year ago. A year ago I was care-free, living it up. Only my period would slow me down (that was sometimes 2 weeks a month, but I didn't let it take over my mind.) However, now, I'm not the same woman. I'd give anything to go back in time.

I'd give anything to go back to that fateful day in september, and stop my gyn. I'd give anything to have my uterus back. I'd do anything if I knew I was facing all the trouble I am now.

You know what? It still hurts.

Laura
Unread 01-12-2004, 01:21 AM
Would you do it again??

no! no, no, no,no,no!..whats the old saying?---'watch what you wish for cause you might just get it!'.......i had mine for prolapses 6 months ago..had complete trust in my dr...found out a couple of days ago that the prolapses are back, along with the side walls of the vagina starting to "cave in a bit" <---dr's words,not mine...of course my response was nothing short of "huh???!..that cant be right because YOU just repaired all of this less than 6 months ago",..his response--"looks like this is a genetic problem for you...sit back and wait.its not that bad yet"..easy for him to say!...and nevermind the snide comment he made about me keeping him busy for so long after my release from surgery...so now i'm shopping for a new more experienced less conceited dr to help me out..its ashame--this man has been my dr for the last 10 yrs.
Unread 01-12-2004, 02:30 AM
Back from '5' surgury.

In the last couple months I noticed my stomach was getting bigger.
I no longer could wear anything but sweats!! I decided to find a
plastic surgeon to do a tummy tuck. I found a Dr that was both,
a plastic surgeon, and a regular surgeon!! He checked the big
ball, and told me I had 'two' hernias that had went thru the
stomach wall because of all the prior surgurys He said I litterly
had no stomach wall left, to hold things in. Also the other hernia
that they wrapped up in there had come lose, it had to be fixed.
This Dr has turned into my savior!! I spent 6 hours in surgury, to
repair the old hernia, and fix the two new ones that were the size
of a mans fist!! Then he removed all the scar tissue, which was a
ton, then he did the tummy tuck. I just has this surgury friday the
9th. I took the binder off once and was shocked, I look so little!!
And right now I am swollen it will be 3 months before the swelling
goes down. This surgury did not hurt as much, and i have 300
stiches in me!! I wish I had found my savior first he would of saved me a lot of pain and suffering. To top it off Insurance PAID
FOR THIS!!!! I hope now I am on the road to recovery finally.
No hyst is worth 5 surgurys, the pain and anquish I have had to endure over the last 7 months.. Right now I am in pain, but its
from the surgurie I am not feeling the pain from the hernias.
I am so grateful my insurance company did this for me, it was my
chance to have a normal life!! I am now just sleeping and getting
up to take my meds, and then its back to sleep. My hyst cost at this point $200.000 is this not sickening?? I have woman that know me that will not have a hyst because of what I have went
thru, I think for me it was a mistake, for some woman its not.
I tell woman all the time think long and hard, before going into
a hyst, there are risks, and Drs tend to not be forthright with them.. Well is back to sleep, I'll check in later. Linda
Unread 01-12-2004, 07:36 AM
Would you do it again??

Welcome home (((Linda))) That is awesome news to have this surgery behind you & for things to be fixed finally!! I pray that this will be your last surgery & the beginning of a much happier, healthier you
Take it easy, continue to rest & pls know we will be here whenever you need us

((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))
Unread 01-12-2004, 10:16 AM
Nope

Hi, sisters. Knowing what has happened to me and what I know now, after hours and hours of researching myself, I wouldn't have the surgery again. If I'd known better, I would have asked my gynecologist about sending me for pain management to manage my severe menstrual cramps. He never suggested that as an option, so I felt that hysterectomy was the only alternative. No periods, no cramps! However, after I contacted him at the one-year-anniversary mark of the hysterectomy, he THEN said I should seek pain management. At least when I had the awful menstrual cramps, that was only for two weeks out of the month, and I was able to play tennis, sports with my family, be a total dynamo the rest of the time. Now I cannot even take a shower most of the time, because it hurts to stand. (And it hurts to sit at the computer, to do anything using pelvic muscles! The more I do, the worse the pain becomes, to an 8 on the pain scale. Lowest pain level I've had since the surgery is a 3, or maybe a 2, but that is only after lying down for DAYS in a row.)

I know that there are tons of women out there who say that having a hysterectomy was the best thing they'd ever done, but I can't say that, unfortunately. I'm very upset with my doctor for not recommending pain management much earlier than he did (and before he made the money from the hysterectomy).
Unread 01-12-2004, 07:55 PM
Not me!!

I have developed problems that I never had before the 2 surgeries I had. I would love to walk into my GYN office with the bag of mini pads I've had to wear for the past year! And say to him "you'll have to learn to live with it". Right!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register