Return to work after tvh? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Return to work after tvh? Return to work after tvh?

Unread 11-25-2003, 07:00 PM
Return to work after tvh?

Ladies who have had tvh's I need your help!
How long were you off?
I had tvh on 11/6/03 and had originally asked for 4 weeks off.
I am on fmla and have 8 weeks of paid time that I could take off. I am really, really considering taking all 8 weeks. My dr. said that I could take all the time I needed so I don't think I will have a problem with her signing a new release date.

I am a supervisor at a comm ctr and deal with a lot both physically and emotionally. Normally I teach 5 aeo. classes per week. I have made arrangements to not teach for many months. I "visited" for about an hour this week and was almost in tears with foggy brain. I don't have much pain and am healing nicely. I do take two naps a day

PLEASE, let me know when you returned to work and how it went.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2003, 07:37 PM

Hi Nicole,

I had my surgery on Nov 10th, and I plan on going back to work Jan 5th which would be 8 weeks. I too want to make sure all is healed inside, and I have the energy too. I also had a tvh and feel the extra time off would be great! especially around the holidays, which in itself can wear one down. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Cathy
Unread 11-26-2003, 01:26 AM

i was told i could go back to work after 2 weeks...i dont work so it wasnt a concern for me....however if i did still work, i would have taken 6 weeks off..i wouldtn have been able to do my job after only 2 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2003, 09:37 AM

I had a tvh on the 30th of September and went back to work part time after 4 weeks for 2 weeks then went back full time after 6 weeks. I felt ready to go back after 6 weeks, for me I was getting really bored with sitting around the house all day. Good luck with your decision.

Kim
Unread 11-26-2003, 10:13 AM

I had a TVH on November 18 and plan to return to my job as a teacher on Jan. 5. So far, I think this is a very attainable goal. I seem to be doing well recovering at home and my friends and family will not let me do anything!

I am a little concerned since I stand on my feet most of the day and have to get pretty active with teaching Kindergarten. All in all, I think we should just do what our bodies tell us. If you are ready to go back to work, then go. If your body is telling you it's not time, then take a few more weeks off!

I have already prepared the adminstration at my school that I plan to return after the Holidays, but if for some reason I am not ready, I will need additional time off. I guess they were prepared for me to tell them this because they didn't seem concerned.

Good luck and I pray that your recovery continues to go well!
Unread 11-26-2003, 11:57 AM

Hi there-
My surgery was on May 1st (2001) and I went back to work on the 14th. I am so sorry that I did! If I had ot to do over again, I would take the time to heal physically and emotionally and rest. Once I went back to work, it was difficult to step back my activities...after all, if I could go back to work, why couldn't I handle dishes, laundry, groceries, etc... I was the only one pressuring myself, so I was my worst enemy. Take the time if you can. Rent good movies, read some books, learn to knit, just rest up.
Take care of yourself, and REST REST REST!!!
Let me know how you make out-
April
Unread 11-26-2003, 04:41 PM

Hi there,
I had my TVH only last Friday 21/11/03) and am feeling great considering, but am so slow compared to the way I am normally, its so frustrating, spent first day at home doing nothing but sitting & laying, spent yesterday on my feet a lot, consequently sore belly at end of the day, need to find that happy medium.

I am a sales merchandiser and am off work until 26th January, not by choice, its just worked out that way.

I know that I could not go back to work under 6 weeks as my brain is so foggy, and lets face it you have the perfect excuse to lap up all the attention, you probably wont get another chance at this again!!!

Best wishes with your recovery. Dont forget that work will still be there regardless of how long you take off - don't try to be superwoman!

Love

Janine - Melbourne Australia
Unread 11-26-2003, 05:01 PM

Thanks ladies for the tvh return to work posts! I really appreciate hearing from other ladies in similiar situations. After I've got 3 kids and although I worked at a different job during pregnancies I always returned to work within a couple of weeks. Usually due to financial reasons. The small companies that I worked for didn't have sick and vacation hours. This time around I have up to 8 weeks paid I could take. I just wanted to know how everyone else handled it. I am wanting justification for it.

I have that brain fag and am incredibly tired. Not sleepy tired, just lay down tired. That's not me at all. Again thanks for the input and if anyone else has comments on returning to work after tvh I sure would love to hear them.
Unread 11-27-2003, 09:21 PM
Hi

Hope you are feeling well,,

I had a TVH on 9/29, and went back to work about 3 weeks later. I have 3 jobs, and went back to 2 of them. One of my jobs (a flt. attendant), I needed more time off from, due to the strenuous nature of it, aside from that, I own a property management company, and, I also sell new homes for a developer, and those 2, I was able to resume normally. I am still tired when I get home at night, but that is getting better with each week.

I am a single mom of 2 teen boys, who are sweet, and do try to help out, but.. being male, have their limits! So having to depend on myself to make ends meet, (gotta do what ya gotta do...! :-) I had to get up and out of bed early..

I was blessed to have an easy surgery ( awake with spinal) and easy recovery too. The fatigue was my biggest issue..

Take time off, for as long as you can, and you will be fine, if you have to go back to work early, as I did, take alot of 'B' vitamins for energy, make an extra effort to take it EASY, and PLOP right back into bed when you get home!

Hope this helps!
Unread 11-27-2003, 11:34 PM

I had aTVH but also repairs for cystocele, rectocele, TVT sling, repair of perinium. I have a 12 week disability from the MD and I am 8 weeks post op and still SOOO tired and achy that there is NO way I could go back to work yet. I would take the 8 weeks and recover as fully as possible. You may never have this time again to devote to yourself. Anyone I ever knew who went back early regretted it. REST AS MUCH AS YOU CAN WHILE YOU CAN. I think the fatigue is our bodies telling us to rest so they can mend us! Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register