Bleeding 2 years Post Op-HELP!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bleeding 2 years Post Op-HELP!! Bleeding 2 years Post Op-HELP!!

Unread 11-26-2003, 07:06 PM
Bleeding 2 years Post Op-HELP!!

Okay, I'm trying NOT to panic. I read several posts and didn't see anything similar to my situation, so I wanted to start this thread to get advice.

Here's my situation: I had a vaginal hysterectomy in December of 2001. My vagina and cervix were removed, leaving my ovaries and tubes. All went exceedingly well and I had no problems and recovered according to plan.

For the last week I have been suffering from a viral infection with a fever ranging from 99 to 103 and back to 100 only by taking maximum doctor recommended amounts of Advil (2400 mg in 24 hour period). I have also been alternating with Tylenol here and there when I couldn't get the fever down, as he recommended. Yesterday, I went to the ER due to extreme illness and a headache that WOULD NOT go away. Again, the recommendation to keep the Advil/Tylenol Flowing and was given Percoset for the pain which contains 325 mg of Acetametaphen. I have been careful to not exceed any of the dosing instructions and have only taken two doses of the Percoset at night to sleep.

Today while making the Thanksgiving pies :-) I felt a familiar slip of something from my vagina. Familar from two years ago!! I went to the bathroom and there was brownish blood on my underwear and on the tissue. I verified it was coming from the vagina and not the urinary tract by dabbing specifically into the vagina a bit. What the heck is this??? I called my doctor on call and the Nurse Practioner suggested I keep an eye on it and be seen on Friday after the holiday. I'm really frightened. Could it be the meds? Could I be hemoraging? It has stopped for now, but I have achy lower back pain and slight cramping in my lower abdomen. What should I do? Return to the ER?? I'm scared. Thank you girls, you are awesome!
Janina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2003, 07:51 AM

((( Janina )))

I can imagine that you're scared. I think that a small amount of blood is not hemorrahing but it doesn't sound normal either. I think that brown means that it's old blood not new.

Since you've talked to the dr's nurse and have an appointment for Friday, I would follow her advice. If it comes back or gets worse, please do consider returning to the ER.

In the meantime, try to rest a lot, being as ill as you've been really takes a toll on people.
Please let us know how you're doing when you get a chance.

s
Unread 11-27-2003, 10:55 AM

HI Janina,
I think I'd be scared too if this happened to me.
As Jeanie said, though, if it is brownish blood that probably isn't new, and it doesn't sound like very much ...(although at this point you know you shouldn't have ANY -- so even a bit is really upsetting.!!!!)

I don't have this experience (I'm not quite 5 months post-op) .. so I don't have any ideas to share, just wanted to send you some and I'll be watching to see what the dr says on Friday.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2003, 10:03 PM

Thank you ladies so much. Turns out I ended up in the ER again today due to bleeding and return of the dreaded high fever, but this time with the added bonus of vomiting! yuk!

I spent most of my day there. They ran a bunch of tests on blood and urine samples and turned up no blood cells in the urine, but traces of blood colored substance in the urine. More importantly, they found yeast in my urine.

After the tests and a brief pelvic exam (no speculum, thank God!) he diagnosed a yeast infection, in the bladder and maybe even the vagina. This could cause the slight cramping, the lower ab/back pain and even the fever. He said the brownish blood like stuff could be blood or even some other discharge whose medical name he used, I can't remember unfortunately.

So! They put me on Diflucan for 13 days to treat the infection. I got lots of good drugs in the ER and a bag of fluids to boot! I got home tonight and here's the beautiful thing: I've not had a bit of fever and I've not had to medicate at all! I've been drinking cranberry juice like it's peach schnopps and boy do I feel better! So far, still having just slight lower ab/back discomfort and a wee bit of the discharge - when I urinate mostly - but I'm confident it will improve. I'll keep you all posted on the long term outcome in case this were to come up for someone else. In the end, looks like I had several things going on at once (this darn viral infection/cold/flu thing, the bladder infection, major headache-migraine, and possibly a vaginal yeast infection) and combined it's been one heck of a holiday week!

This site and you gals are great resources...I so appreciate all your input and guidance, and PeachyBabe you are awesome! Thanks so much... also, I've had lots of prayers going up for me from friends and family and they helped tremendously! Isn't it wonderful to have support like this?
Unread 11-28-2003, 01:04 AM

Hi Janina,
well, I'm sorry you felt badly enough to go to ER, but it seems to have worked out well.
Your body was really trying to fight off a lot of stuff - no wonder you felt horrible!!

I'm so glad you are on the mend! take it easy and get well!

Unread 12-02-2003, 04:29 PM
Continued Bleeding

Is it possible that my vaginal bleeding is caused by an ovarian cyst? I'm still seeing a watery bleeding even after 5 days on the Diflucan for the yeast infection. Any ideas?
Unread 12-02-2003, 05:43 PM

Hi --

I don't know if the vaginal bleeding could be caused by an ovarian cyst, but I think if I were going thru all you've been thru I'd call the doc and let him know about that bleeding and ask if it's something to be concerned about or does he want you to give it more time.
Can you maybe call the ER where they prescribed the Diflucan and leave a message for the doc who took care of you? Or call your regular doctor (if you're still seeing the doc who did your surgery in 2001) and fill him in on what went on in the ER and see what he thinks? When you were at the ER did they give you any idea of how long the discharge might last? Were they going to send a report to your regular doctor? Did they say anything about a follow-up appt? (Sorry lots of questions I know......)

I've experienced yeast infections over the years (I don't think there are many women who haven't!!) but I've never had all the symptoms that you're describing so offering any advice is difficult. But I had my surgery in January 2001 and I know how concerned I'd be if I was experiencing what you are........so I wanted to reply to your post and send you some 's and let you know that I'm hoping things get better soon!

Ann

TAH/BSO 1/5/01
Unread 12-03-2003, 12:52 PM

I'm going to make an appointment with my regular doctor today. She didn't do the original hysterectomy, but she has been my doc since I've lived in Colorado for the past year, so she should be able to guide me.

Thank you so much my friend for the help and guidance!
J

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register