Side Effect Radiation or - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Side Effect Radiation or Side Effect Radiation or

Unread 01-13-2004, 09:47 PM
Side Effect Radiation or

Nancy,
If the problem is from nerve damage perhaps B vitamins would help. I had neuropathy and my gyn/onc recommend that I take B2, B6, and B12, 50 mgs of each everyday. I found a vitamin pill called B-50 that I take and it has really helped. My doctor said that nerves take a long time to heal and the vitamins would help speed the process. I've been taking the vitamins since October and I now only have occassional neuropathy in my feet. Before the vitamins I had numb hands and feet every night. So I do think the vitamins have helped to heal the nerves. I have read that nerves can take up to a year, or more, to heal, so anything that speeds up that process is worth a try!

I hope you find some relief soon.
Hugs,
Janie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2004, 10:33 PM
Side Effect Radiation or

Hi Nancy,

I also have hip and back pain from radiation. In fact the inflamation in my back was so bad at one point it showed up as a hot spot on a bone scan. I had to have a bone biopsy which thankfully came back clear. But my Gyn/ Onc said it is probably radiation damage. Those are his words. I don't know why some Rad/Docs don't seem to want to admit to the side effects from the radiation.

Take Care,
Sharon
Unread 01-14-2004, 12:12 PM
Sharon

Sharon,
I too wonder why doctors don't tell us all the effects of radiation. Perhaps they fear they would scare us into not having it?

Did your doctor say that your bones were damaged by radiation? Is that what was caused the pain? Will they heal? How long will it take? Has it gotten better? I hope so!

Hugs,
Janie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2004, 01:13 PM
Side Effect Radiation or

Hi Janie,

My Gyn/Onc said they could have been damaged from the radiation. I have not been back since the biopsy to find out if they know the cause. I just know that it did not come back positive for cancer.

The initial pain has gotten better. But it seems to come back, also on the other side, if I do too much. The other night the pain (but on the other side) kept me awake most of the night.

I have done some reading on the subject and it seems that the blood supply to the bone can become damaged which in turn damages the bone. This is considered a "late effect" from radiation.

I have not actually been told about this by my Onc. though. But he did very clearly say when I first told him about the pain, that it was probably damage from the radiation.

I am just waiting and seeing what happens. I will be bummed if the pain is something that will be around forever.

Sharon
Unread 01-14-2004, 02:31 PM
Side Effect Radiation or

Sharon,
I would assume that the bones will heal, wouldn't you? Our bones do grow and regenerate so they should heal and then the pain would stop. right?

I hope so!
Janie
Unread 01-15-2004, 08:30 AM
Side Effect Radiation or

Hi Janie,

I hope so too! I see my Gyn/Onc in February. Hopefully I will learn more then.

Sharon
Unread 01-15-2004, 09:47 AM
Better

Hi ya ladies
Just a note to report that my rad ended on January 5th. As of right now, 10 days later, the hip and thigh pain is somewhat better. It is not as severe, and the pain pill now actually works completely on it.

Perhaps there is a light at the end of this tunnel????

I read somewhere also that nerve endings can take a year to heal. And my rad/onc says this pain is from the nerves being damaged by radiation.

Hope.

What would we do without that word?

nancy j
Unread 01-15-2004, 09:57 AM
Side Effect Radiation or

Nancy,

I am very glad things are working out. The idea of living in pain is a scary one. Wishing you continued Good Luck!

Sharon

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register