adenocarcinoma in situ and scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

adenocarcinoma in situ and scared adenocarcinoma in situ and scared

Unread 11-27-2003, 08:49 PM
adenocarcinoma in situ and scared

Hello,
This is my first posting. I am 30 years old and have just been diagnosed with AIS. In 3 weeks I have an appointment to discuss options for treatment. Loss of my fertility is what I am most scared of. From what I have read so far, conservative treatment which would preserve fertility is not always successful.
I would love to hear from anyone who has gone through this.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2003, 09:52 PM

I know how you feel. I was diagnosed with AIS 2 years ago when I was 35. I have 2 children and really wanted another pregnancy. Because I had two children, the doctors recommended that I have a hysterectomy keeping my ovaries. It was the most difficult decision I ever had to make. I did have two children though and I felt that as a mother, my priority was to make sure that I chose the treatment option that would most likely ensure that I would be cured. In my case it was probably the right decision because the pathology came back stage 1a adenocarcinoma. (this too can be treated with a cone biopsy)

I did extensive research on other treatment options. If you don't have children and really want to preserve your fertility a cone biopsy is one way to go. You will need to be closely monitored. AIS frequently returns and many women do eventually need hysterectomys.

On the other hand, there are many women who have had AIS and been treated with the cone biopsy and have had children. You are right that it is not always successful but if fertility is a big issue, it is probably worth a try.

Good luck with your decision.
Unread 11-28-2003, 01:05 PM

Hi there,

As Denise said a cone biopsy is certainly an option. Another procedure is a trachelectomy, where the cervix is removed but the uterus is left leaving the possibility of a pregnancy in the future. Let me know if you'd like more info on a trach., I had one in July 2002 and am doing great. Good luck to you.

Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-28-2003, 04:43 PM

Thank you for your reply's. I do not know much about a trachelectomy. This may seem like a dumb question but how are you able to sustain a pregnancy without a cervix? Chicklet - why did you opt for a trachelectomy? At this point I do not know exactly what my situation is, all I know is that I have AIS with no SIL. This is info from my MD's nurse, I can't see him until dec 18.
I am trying to become informed about what options are available before I go in to see him. His nurse told me minor surgery - ugh, I found the biopsy extemely painful. From what I have read so far it seems that you can't rule out the possiblity of invasive adenocarcinoma until a cone has been taken.

take care
1blackcat
Unread 11-28-2003, 04:52 PM

At the risk of sounding real stupid,...what is situ?
Unread 11-28-2003, 04:55 PM

Never mind. Now I really feel stupid. English is my second language and I have a hard time with words I have never heard before. I at first thought it was a medical term but decided to look it up in the dictionary. Boy do I feel stupid now.
Unread 11-29-2003, 06:57 PM

(((1blackcat))) After a trachelectomy, the bottom of the uterus is stitched closed, leaving an opening for monthly bleeding and such. It is essentially an artificial cervix and is called a circlage.

(((Tam)))

Don't ever feel stupid asking questions. Some of the words we all use now, were foreign to us when we got started here (and most of us use English as our first language!). You would almost never here the words "in situ" outside of a medical situation. I'm going to go ahead and answer this because I'm sure someone else is having the same question and is afraid to ask.

"In situ" means "in place" or "in it's original place". So, if your cancer is "in situ", it means it has not become invasive yet. Some people interpret this to mean it is still precancerous, others say it means it is the very, very earliest stages of cancer, and can usually be treated with removal only.

Unread 11-30-2003, 11:18 AM

Hi there,

I chose a trachelectomy because the results from the cone biopsy showed the beginnings of invasive cancer. Had the cancer all been removed with the cone, I would've probably left it at that and just made sure to get pap smears every three months for close follow-up. My husband and I wanted to keep the fertility option open, so we opted for the trach. rather than the hyst.

Also, Jeanine's explanation of the cerclage stitch is perfect!

Beth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register