What does a prolapse feel like internally? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What does a prolapse feel like internally? What does a prolapse feel like internally?

Unread 12-01-2003, 07:29 PM
What does a prolapse feel like internally?

Kelou,
I know how frustrated you must be.I know how it feels.I've been there.As a matter of fact I'm still there.This road is long for some of us.My gyno (two of them) say I have a small rectocele but it shouldn't be causing me so much pain,but something sure is.It's an ongoing thing.I'm lined up for a colonoscopy Jan.2nd. Maybe we'll find some answers then.I'd sure like to get off this road.I know you would to.I really feel for you. You are in my prayers I do hope you get some answers soon.Keep us posted. By the way,how can a psychiatrist help find out where your pelvic pain is coming from???

's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2003, 08:13 AM

Good question Jenny,
I guess that he thinks that a psychiatrist is the best doctor to manage the meds. Hence, an anti-depressant, an anti-anxiety, and a neurological drug for pain management.
It does make me wonder if I am one whose brain processes pain differently. In other words, where most people's bodies would not register pain after a certain point with normal healing, my body exagerates and amplifies the pain. I have fibromyalgia and have had chronic pain associated with that for years. The strange thing is that I have a high threshold for pain in a crisis type situation (I had all four of my sons by natural childbirth - I must have been crazy, with what I know now I would say "Bring on the drugs!). If there is no organic cause of my pain, then maybe it is best treated by altering the malfunctioning of my brain's sensory systems. WHO KNOWS! Then, on the other hand what if there is a problem (like the adeno and chronic cystic cervicitis) that has gone on for years unknown, unexplained and untreated? What a dilema! LOL. Thanks for your kind thoughts and especially prayers! I know prayer works. I am also sure that these trials are for someone's growth. I just am not sure who's, and I sure do wish they would get it soon! LOL. This morn I am dedicated to having a fresh attitude about everything and trying to log/journal and better identify what affects my pain, when it happens and what if anything helps reduce or eliminate it.
Unread 12-02-2003, 11:15 AM

Quote:
It does make me wonder if I am one whose brain processes pain differently. In other words, where most people's bodies would not register pain after a certain point with normal healing, my body exaggerates and amplifies the pain. I have fibromyalgia and have had chronic pain associated with that for years.
((Kelou)),
Having FMS will cause sufferers to process pain differently...it amplifies pain. Somewhere along the way the signals get crossed telling our body that there is pain even if there is no longer a definite source for it. Chronic pain is similar...long after the source of pain is gone our bodies continue to receive signals that it's still there
Studies show that acute pain left untreated can become Chronic...due to the severity of it, the signals keep being sent over & over to the point where it's occurred for so long at an increased rate it just keeps going unless the cycle can be broken. The use of Antidepressants have shown to stop or decrease the number of signals being sent to the brain. Its confusing & unfortunately misunderstood by many. Pain Mgmt Drs. have delved deeper into understanding exactly what Chronic Pain is, ways to treat it, what causes it & best of all ways to help treat it Unfortunately the number of certified Pain Mgmt Drs. is low, there are less than 5,000 in the US that are certified in the area of treating pain properly:-( That equates to less than 2%....the media has only worsened this issue by stating over & over the evils of using certain medications that have proven helpful in the treatment of this making Drs. reluctant to specialize in this area. The DEA has chosen to attack them as well in their *War on Drugs*...while I understand that there are Drs. as well as patients abusing the system it's hurting the true Chronic Pain Patients ability to get relief. There are a said 5,000 suicides a yr. by these patients b/c they can no longer live w/the untractable, often disabling levels of pain all b/c they were refused treatments that have been shown over & over thru out the yrs as helpful.
I didn't mean to get off track here <sorry> it just hits close to home & it affects soo many of us here on The Road in our journey for some answers & relief :cry:

Here are some links that discuss Chronic pain; how it occurs, causes, treatments & prevention methods:

This describes FMS & relates to what you had stated above:
  Quote:
What causes fibromyalgia syndrome?

Fibromyalgia is probably a composite of several illnesses that all have the same type of pathogenesis.
The cause may be a response to chronic pain, it may be endocrinological or it may be both. Ninety percent of people with fibromyalgia are women, so the cause may be somehow related to the physical make-up of women. Some studies have looked at neuroendocrine imbalances in fibromyalgia; these imbalances would be more common in women, who have hormonal variations over the 20-to 60-year age range.

What course does the syndrome usually take?

A. People with fibromyalgia tend to experience gradual problems with chronic pain, chronic fatigue, non-restorative sleep disturbance where they wake up unrefreshed, cognitive changes affecting their ability to perform complex tasks and myofascial pain in which the person has severe spasms and soft-tissue pain. These problems can worsen with increased stress, lack of sleep, injuries or concurrent illnesses, but there is no clear pattern of progression.

Is fibromyalgia associated with psychological distress, either as a cause or an effect of the syndrome?

The incidence of depression and distress in the fibromyalgia population is more than 40 percent. Often, patients with a flare-up of fibromyalgia also have a concurrent flare-up of depression or anxiety. People with fibromyalgia also become frustrated with their pain, their inability to concentrate and their fatigue. They can feel alienated from their families, colleagues and friends, who may not understand why the person has such fatigue and difficulty functioning and therefore may not provide much support.

In what ways does fibromyalgia syndrome affect a person's ability to function in daily life?

A. One of the biggest problems is that many fibromyalgia patients have strenuous jobs and cannot get work accommodations, such as working only 30 hours per week, needed to allow the condition to improve. Only about 16 percent of people with fibromyalgia have full work disability, and the majority continue to work but need accommodations. Additionally, heavy housework, any type of repetitive motion and child-rearing can be difficult. People with fibromyalgia need to conserve their energy, and it can be very difficult for them to work full-time, do household chores and take care of young children unless they are getting adequate help from their spouses or other family members.
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=76750
Relationship of Hysterectomy to Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia Syndromes:

Battling Back: Overcoming the Undertreatment of Chronic Pain:

Cycles of chronic pain

Fibromyalgia FAQ for Patients

How you feel pain:
  Quote:
Pain is a universal experience. The degree to which you feel pain and how you react to it, however, are the results of your own biological, psychological and cultural makeup. Past encounters with painful injury or illness also can influence your sensitivity to pain.
When pain persists beyond the time expected for an injury to heal or an illness to end, it can become a chronic condition. No longer is the pain viewed as just the symptom of another disease, but as an illness unto itself.
Chronic pain hangs on after the injury is healed. Pain is generally described as chronic when it lasts 6 months or longer. This is reflected in the word itself. Chronic comes from the Greek word for "time."
Unlike acute pain, however, with chronic pain you may not know the reason for the pain. The original injury shows every indication of being healed, yet the pain remains — and may be even more intense.
Chronic pain can also occur without any indication of injury. Years ago, people who complained of pain that had no apparent cause were thought to be imagining the misery or trying to get attention.
Doctors now know that's not true.
Chronic pain is real

What causes chronic pain?

Frequently, the cause of chronic pain is not well understood. There may be no evidence of disease or damage to your body tissues that doctors can directly link to the pain.
Sometimes, chronic pain is due to a chronic condition, such as arthritis, which produces painful inflammation in your joints, or fibromyalgia, which causes aching in your muscles.
Occasionally, chronic pain may stem from an accident, infection or surgery that damages a peripheral or spinal nerve. This type of nerve pain that lingers after the original injury heals is called neuropathic (noor-o-PATH-ik) — meaning the damaged nerve, not the original injury, is causing the pain.
Once damaged, the nerve may send pain messages that are unwarranted.

Little is known about why injured nerves sometimes misfire and send painful messages. However, one reason is that when a nerve cell is destroyed, the severed end of the surviving fiber can sprout a tangle of unorganized nerve fibers (neuroma). This bundle of nerve tissue then starts sending spontaneous pain signals. These fibers also refuse to follow normal checks and balances that control the rest of your nervous system, keeping pain at bay.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm...8688CAA02392A7
Chronic pain perception syndrome

Controlling chronic pain: One woman's story

Pain Journal

I really didnt mean to write a novel here..lol..I just wanted to share how Chronic Pain works & the very real affect it can have on us...Good Luck to both of you in finding some answers & relief...((((((((hugs)))))))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2003, 11:31 AM

Kelou,
I must have one of those kind of bodies too.Most pain meds have bad side effects with me so I'm usually left to just deal with the pain I have xanax right now to take at night .I've only taken it once and had a horrible headache.The last Dr. I went to told me not to take the xanax and gave me a prescription for bentyl but I haven't gotten it filled yet because it has some bad side effects and I'm tired of wasting money on meds that don't agree with me.I'm still going from one Dr. to another right now trying to find out where the source of the pain is coming from, hoping and praying we'll get some answers soon.It gets very frustrating sometimes.Like you say it helps to take on a fresh attitude.It's easy to get depressed on this road but I have to shake it off and think about all my blessings and how much worse it could be.There are answers ahead.I just have to be patient.There has to be a reason for all of this.And yes, attitude does go a long ways Hope you have a great day and keep us posted.

's
Unread 12-02-2003, 11:41 AM

Kelou,I keep a pain diary also.That's a good thing to do, I think.I still don't understand what's going on but at least I'm keeping track of it.
's

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register