borderline tumors? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

borderline tumors? borderline tumors?

Unread 12-03-2003, 01:20 PM
borderline tumors?

In May of this year, I had an 8 cm cyst removed along with my right ovary, thought that was the end of it. When the path report came back a few days later the Dr. informed me that it was a borderline tumor and told me that I would have to have a radical hysterectomy. I was in shock, since I was not having any noticeable problems. I was referred to a gyn-onc. He explained to me due to my age 40, that normally they do a radical hysterectomy and staging of any type of cancer. Due to other health related problems I had to wait 5 months to have the hyst. It was done on 10-16, the gyn-onc did several biopsies and took some lymph nodes, he told me that all path reports were normal
(Thank God). At my 4 weeks post-op check-up he told me that he wanted to see for the next 2 years every 3 months. Has anyone had a simular experience? And what can I expect for the next 2 years? Is there any kinds of tests they do? Just wish I had gone to the gyn-onc first. Having 2 surgeries in 5 mos is no fun at all especially with complications from the first one.

valjosmel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2003, 09:01 PM
borderline tumors?

Two surgeries are hard! I had minor surgery three months after the hyst to fix some problems it had caused and it knocked me to flinders (as my mother used to say).

I had a borderline tumor in my ovary that apparently wasn't really ovarian cancer. It was a slow growing one. I had appointments with my gyn/onc every three months for the first two years and three CT scans. So I think it's standard. Then I graduated to every six months and an annual CT scan. My medical plan doesn't cover my wonderful doctor anymore so I don't know what I should be doing now that I'm four and a half years out but I suspect that pattern was supposed to go on through five years. I have to talk to my pcp and find out what the plan is now.

I think one problem they have is that very little is known about some of these borderline tumors so they keep a close eye out for any signs of the unexpected. It's nerve-wracking at first, but I wanted it too. I was nervous enough that I was glad to touch base with the doc.
Unread 12-04-2003, 03:57 AM
borderline tumors?

Hey

I had been having a lot of bloating, gas, heartburn, etc, and had gallbladder surgery Oct 02, I figured my digestive system just wasn't right anymore. However, I turned over onto my stomach in a tanning bed and felt a "ball" in my right side. I went to the dr and found out I had a ovarian mass 16 x 15 x 9cm - bigger than a cantelope. I had a complete (tah/bso) abdominal hyster ( vertical incision) 2 days later (4/3/03). Everything appeared to be fine until 1 week later pathology report showed stage 1a ovarian cancer. I had had a pap smear you know the yearly check up in Nov 02 and all checked out fine. I did not have to have any treatments of anything thank God but was told I would be checked every 4 months. I went to the dr this week and she said once my harmones are fine I can come every year. It still makes me uneasy knowing I had cancer in my body. I don't know if I want to wait a year for another check up. However, I will go back in 3 months because I'm still having a lot of problems with anxiety. Let me know how you are and good luck to you.

Vicky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2003, 11:03 AM
Buffy

I am sure you know this, but I want to mention it for the new folks here. A PAP smear doesn't detect ovarian cancer, endo cancer, or any kind of cancer other than cervical. (In my case it didn't even detect cervical cancer, but that's another story.)

I am a little surprised that your doctor has you on yearly check ups so quickly after having a cancer diagnosis. My doctor has everyone come every 3 months for 2 years then every 4 months for 2 years, then once every 6 months,etc. I guess each cancer and each doctor is different. But being dismissed after one year is quick, isn't it? I'm not sure what your hormones have to do with cancer, but then I didn't have ovarian cancer so I'm far from an expert!

Seeing a gyn/onc, when there is ANY suspected cancer, is always a good idea.
Hugs,
Unread 12-06-2003, 02:36 PM
borderline tumors?

I had the same gassy bloated feelings. Long story short-cantaloupe sized tumor on left ovary. TAH/USO Small cyst on right ovary. Dr cleaned it up and put it back. My CT-125 came back 39.
Dr said on lab work they did on tumor(while I was in OR)was borderline. He sent it out for more tests. Took longer than he expected came back positive for ovarian cancer. I have an appt with a gyn-onc on Weds. My gyn said I'll probably have chemo or radiation and the gyn-onc may want to go in and do staging. I don't really want to have another surgery anytime soon. But if I have to I will. Supposedly this is early cancer and be thankful they found it. I would go see a gyn-onc, Buffie. I'm stage 1 as best as my gyn can tell. He wishes he had the onc with him when he did my surgery.
I had my yearly in July 2003. Dr didn't feel anything. 3 and 1/2 months later I had a 19x15x10 pelvic mass. I'm not even high risk for ovarian cancer. I tell you what everyone I've told about my cancer knows the symptons now and that pap smears don't catch it.
I'll post back after my appt with the gyn-onc.
Unread 12-06-2003, 03:21 PM
LolaJene

I am sorry to hear that you are going through this and the possibility of another surgery. I will keep my fingers crossed for you on Wednesday. Please let us know what happens after you see the gyn/onc.

You mentioned that you were not at high risk for ovarian cancer. I don't know much about ovarian cancer except that having taken birth control pills, pregnancy, breast feeding, anything that shuts down ovulation for extended periods, decreases the chances of getting ovarian cancer. What things have the opposite effect? What makes a person a 'high risk' for ovarian cancer?

Thanks for the info,
Hugs,
Unread 12-06-2003, 04:39 PM
borderline tumors?

Denton,

Two factors that were applicable to me that may have tipped my chances of developing ovarian cancer were:

1. Celtic background;
2. I never had a child.

The last, to me, is a real regret, but it was not meant to be.

However, at least in my case, stress played a major factor.
Unread 12-07-2003, 12:14 AM
To Wild Rose

Thanks for the information. I had no idea that a celtic background was a risk factor in ovarian cancer! Is ovarian cancer much more common in England, Ireland, Scotland, etc? I didn't know that at all. My ancestors came from Wales, Scotland, England, but I guess there isn't much I can do about that.

I have heard that stress can cause some viruses to take hold because it can weaken the immune system but, again, I didn't know that ovarian cancer was one of those. Wow. As stressed as everyone is these days, it's a wonder that more women don't have ovarian cancer!

I did know that no pregnancies, no bc pills, etc, increases the chances of ovarian cancer. I read that the more cycles we have, uninterrupted by pregnancy, the pill, breast feeding, etc, the greater the chances. That's why our great grandmothers who had lots of babies and breast fed for years were less likely to get ovarian cancer.

So, am I considered 'high risk' because of my family background? Do Blacks, Lations, and Asians have a lower risk of ovarian cancer?

Thanks again!
Jane
Unread 12-07-2003, 05:36 AM
borderline tumors?

Jane,

Currently, according to my gyn/onc, that is one theory being looked at, about the ovaries not having had a chance to rest, by a woman becoming pregnant. But, I was on birth control pills for a couple of years way back in my 20's.

Like you, I am part Welsh, and I am also of Scottish and English background. My gyn/onc mentioned the 'more at risk' factor for women of this type of background, and also Jewish women, I believe.

The stress connection is my own 'read' on it.
Unread 12-07-2003, 12:12 PM
borderline tumors?

I had exactly the same experience as you last spring. I had a mass on my right ovary which the gyn assured me was benign, even the CA125 test was normal. I woke up from that surgery to hear I would need a radical hysterectomy. 5 weeks later I had that surgery. Luckily, mine was also borderline or what they call LMP(low malignant potential) My onc/gyn actually didn't feel the need to see me for 6 months. My appointment is this Tuesday. From all I've read and heard we are very fortunate. I'll let you know if Tuesday brings any new information regarding follow-ups etc.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register