Question about pathology report & adhesions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about pathology report & adhesions Question about pathology report & adhesions

Unread 12-03-2003, 06:27 PM
Question about pathology report & adhesions

It just ocurred to me that I remember reading on my path report under the gross description of specimens that the left fallopian tube and ovary were present with area of hemorrhage. Is it possible that if the tube and ovary hemorrhaged inside of me that it could cause adhesions? Since this is where my continued pain has been since surgery. Anyone know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2003, 07:08 PM

Dear Kelou,

I don't have an answer for sure.... I do know that any bleeding inside the abdominal cavity is very irritating to the tissue in there... so I would imagine that if the tissue became very irritated it could cause adhesions. I think that is why they tend to see adhesions with endo... because of the internal bleeding and tissue imflammation.

As to why you still have pain there... if the doctor found adhesions in that spot during surgery they could be back. Did he/she use any barrier to try to prevent adhesions?

Also, if the pain was very bad for a long period of time, it could be "trapped" inside the nervous system... that is called neuropathic pain.... think of amputees who still feel the pain in the part that was amputated. I know that is what the pelvic pain doctor thought I had (at first)... it is treated with things like Neurontin and Elavil.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

Sarah
Unread 12-04-2003, 05:13 PM

Kelou,
I don't know for sure either, but do know that adhesions can come from many sources, not always just from surgery. You can get adhesions from having an infection. I was reading thru some of medical records and when I had the first surgery to remove the right ovary the report stated that there were areas of dense adhesions, probably from a previous surgery. Well....I had never had surgery in that area before! However, I did have a kidney infection and than pneumonia which seemed to have set my female problems in motion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2003, 06:10 AM

Thanks Sarah and Kim. Those are both interesting points. I will keep you posted.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register