Want something done now!! Can't wait!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Want something done now!!  Can't wait!! Want something done now!! Can't wait!!

Unread 12-04-2003, 01:52 AM
Want something done now!! Can't wait!!

I am only 31 yrs old and I have 3 beautiful children. I am done with the baby making days and had a tubal done about 5 yrs ago.
I have had the worst periods of my life since the first of this year and every month they seem to be getting worse and worse!
The bleeding and clotting and the pain in my back is so unbearable the way it just radiates all the way down my legs.

I had my annual checkup and pap came back good (but have had severe cervical problems in the past so I always dred my annuals).
I did tell him about the cramping and back and leg pain and he wanted me to get back on birth control pills for the next 2 months to see if that helps.
I started last saturday and then the flood hit 5 days later. I was in tears because of the pain. It has never been this bad!!!!!
I have a really high tollerance for pain. I had all 3 children naturally with no pain killers and I don't ever remember pain this bad.
I called the Dr. and they gave me drugs for pain, and I scheduled a consult for next Tues.
He did mention during my visit about the endo ablation or whatever that is called. I did read up on it but I am concerned about what if it doesn't work.
I even have friends that have just said that it was a waist of time because they still ended up having a hysterectomy. I would rather just have the hysterectomy and have it all out and not have to worry about it anymore.
I am done having kids and don't need any of it as far as I am concerned.
I have also read up on the hysterectomy and I am all for it.

My poor husband is so sweet when it is that time of month.
I always bleed for 10 days or more and I am just sick of this.

I really need somemore input on this from others!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2003, 11:28 AM

Bluechick, I really understand what you mean! I'm also 31, have had trouble with my periods since my late teens, and in the last 6 months I've gotten so sick with bleeding/cramping that all I can think of is that I want to have it all yanked out, NOW!

I've been bleeding for a month solid now, with pain that goes down into my thighs and across my back. I'm currently on a high dose of Provera to stop the bleeding, which hasn't worked so far, and Premarin due to low estrogen levels. I went to the ER earlier this week with EXTREME pain (I think it was a burst cyst, but of course the ER doc thought nothing of the sort, and I got the old standby, "Oh, no, you're too young for any of that!" ) I have an endometrial biopsy scheduled for tomorrow, and while intellectually I understand that all the possibilities have to be explored, tests done, other causes ruled out, blahblahblahfishcakes, I am so absolutely worn out and tired of being in pain that if I could reach in and yank my own uterus and ovaries I would have done it already.

So yes -- I totally understand about wanting to just get it done and have it over with. My quality of life is absolutely the pits, and I just want to HAVE a life, period! I can't do anything right now but sit and wait for the wheels of medical science to grind forward and prove what I'm pretty sure needs to be done, and I'm exhausted. Wheels of science, ha -- I feel like I got hit by a semi truck.

Unread 12-04-2003, 11:58 AM

Ouch! Did the Dr say what he thinks is causing all this pain? I would guess adenomyosis since he is suggesting ablation but have you had an MRI or an ultrasound or other proceedure to check? You could for instance have endometriosis, which isn't always cured with a hysterectomy. Or you could have fibroids, which sometimes can be removed surgically (myomectomy) or the blood flow to them can be cut off (uterine artery emobilization).

Sometimes a diagnosis is not possible (adeno especially is very hard to diagnose), but sometimes it is, and sometimes in those cases there may be less radical proceedures than a hysterectomy to eliminate the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2003, 07:23 PM
sorry

about all your pain and bleeding..
I am 28 years old and have had horrible periods for about 4 years but which have gotten even worse since the birth of my daughter 1 year ago. I had all the tests, birth control pills and I even went in for the endometrial ablation done in October. But I did end up having an emergency hysterectomy on November 21st.
Even with all the tests and still ending up having the hysterectomy I would still recommend you do all the tests. Like other people said a hysterectomy doesnt solve all problems such as endometrosis. If you have adenomysis that isnt solved by ablation actually an ablation could make it worse. I would definetly do testing before you have an ablation. My doctor didnt do a hysterscopy before my ablation and that was a big mistake. Because he missed a fibroid and the pain got worse after the ablation.
Has your doctor tried a D& C or anything like that?? I know your life is miserable but at very least a d&c will help for a few cycles and while he is in there he can look to see if anything else is going on... Dont rush into anything it is such a big decision that I was cheated on..... Good luck Kris1975
Unread 12-07-2003, 07:10 PM

Thanks to all who replied!! I have had just the basic clotting tests and blood work done. No MRI or any other tests. I go back on Tuesday afternoon to see what he wants to do. I have a history of cysts on my ovaries and they hurt like a ..... when they burst. Not fun!!
Anyway, I will keep ya'll posted on the outcome and hope something can be done.
Thanks again for your support and feedback ladies!!
Unread 12-08-2003, 04:58 PM
Uterine Ablation

I can sympathize with your runaway periods. Mine were horrendous, so the doctor recommended an ablation. I had one in 1992 (I was 42) and it was the BEST thing I did. It was an out-patient procedure, and I really felt I could have returned to school in the afternoon, but decided to pamper myself instead and grade papers at home. Some women do not have any periods, but I had a minor dribble each month that a simple panty liner took care of (imagine that!). It was so much more tolerable. Before the procedure, I would simply hemorrhage each month, which was a total disaster for a teacher! Although I eventually had a hyst, it was totally unrelated to bleeding (uterine prolapse - too big of babies I guess!). Good luck!

Baroness
Unread 12-08-2003, 07:16 PM

I know EXACTLY what you are going through. If I could yank mine out right now I would. I got my first period post Lupron 2-1/2 weeks ago...and still going. Flooding and clotting started last Friday, slowed down, then Hello...all over again tonight. Dr. just called in a script for Provera which will hopefully slow things down. Although I have done the Provera route before and it works for only a short time. Dr. also recommended ablation. Because of the heavy bleeding moved appt up to this Wed to discuss options. Have had d&c with hysterscopy. Hystercopy revealed the ugly heads of the fibroids that did not show on sonogram. Just trying to get through the Holidays right now and will have to make some decision afterwards. Good luck to you...just know your not alone!

Peggy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register