New to Hyster Sisters | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New to Hyster Sisters New to Hyster Sisters

Unread 12-04-2003, 09:14 AM
New to Hyster Sisters

Hi!

Don't know if this is the right forum for this but I am post op by 3 weeks tomorrow. I had a TVH - they took ovaries and the TVT - the bladder tension thingy. I am 44 years old, have 3 natural children and 4 step-children who live with us. You would think that I'd have LOTS of help... But in all reality, I don't feel like I need the help. Since I don't have a "seam" to deal with I feel like I can do anything. I don't work outside the home. My DH and all the 5 kids still at home will do all my lifting and anything I ask them to do. They are all VERY SUPPORTIVE! I am lucky!

I've discussed my heavy periods with MANY MDs and they all said that it was something that was normal for a woman my age and that I wasn't in menopause - told me to take midol/pamprin etc. I clotted BAD and had cramps that kept me awake like labor pains. I was using 3 super plus tampons at a time plus a pad - they would last me about an hour and that would go on for 3 - 4 days and my periods were lasting about 10 days. NORMAL? ha....

I found out that I needed the hysterectomy when this past August I got sick and was diagnosed with West Nile. I was found to be severely anemic. Anyway, new MD who diagnosed the WNV and the anemia sent me to an OB - I was new to this area so he picked one for me. I really like him - good thing I guess. Before I could get the TVH/TVT I had to bring my blood back up - so was on iron. I was also becoming depressed due to all the sleeping, headaches and neck and backaches from the WNV. MD put me on Paxil and one Klonopin (1mg) at night for restless leg syndrome. Klonopin helped alot with the RLS but Paxil doesn't seem to have helped at all - went off of it. I was sleeping oh about 75% of a 24 hour period.

After the TVH/TVT - The night before I was to be released from the hospital my 26 yr old son had an accident and broke his arm, had a concussion and was brought into the emergency room early in the morning. I spent that morning in my robe, in the emergency room giving them his information. It was heart breaking!!! I did get released later that morning - moved all my flowers and balloons into HIS room (on the same floor - different wing) and was a guest in the hospital for the next 3 days. DS had to have surgery to fix the arm (both bones in lower left arm were shattered and had to hve metal plates and pins to fix). DS (J.R.) can't stand being in a room all the time. We (I) would wheel him around - boy did I get in trouble for that. The OB nurses would see me and I'd get the lecture! But the wheelchair was so easy to push, and it gave me something to lean on!

I was in tears for 2 weeks after the surgery. Not really sure why, but I do know that it is NOT like me to cry - I do not cry, normally I get very mad and throw something! ha ha I was on the vivelle patch right out of the hospital - this past Monday I went back to the OB-MD and he put me on more estrogen and a little testosterone in pill form.

The new hormone is helping ALOT - it's 2 pills a day - one Cenestin 1.25 mg and one Estratest H.S. .0625mg/1.25mg - taken both at night. This helped with the night sweats. I have had only one daytime hot flash - when the guy at Target argued with me over the christmas trees... :-) My 21yr old daughter (with 2 small girls) thought I was going to faint... She calmly told the manager to leave me alone - and we'd find a tree somewhere else. And that is what we did.

Now after 3 weeks and even when I first got home I thought I was superwoman. I could do almost everything. I knew I wasn't supposed to do lifting so I didn't... But I've been shopping and pushed the cart, hung my christmas lights throughout my house, vacumned and am doing the dishes (have dishwasher). I've gone back to my quilting and yes I take frequent breaks and get up and go again.

Now the only problem is - the TVT thingy is not my favorite part of this whole thing. I can't pee! Ok, I can but a little at a time. I can't pee on a short toilet - I have to be more upright. If I let it go too long, then it takes me about 6 trips to the bathroom to empty my bladder. I get the sensation to go, sit and go a little. the sensation doesn't go away but the flow stops. I have to get up, walk around the house or lay down for a minute or 2 and then go again. This might go on for 20 minutes in the morning. I can not pee at Wal-mart - pots too short... :-) The OB-MD says this will get better... Will it ever???? I'm beginning to wonder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2003, 10:52 AM
New to Hyster Sisters

Hello, and welcome! Try spreading your legs wider to pee. That worked for me. The stores all have little tiny cubicles, and it is hard to pee there to begin with. But while you are at home, you can spread your legs as far as you want. Let me know if this helps!

It will get better! Keep your dr posted on your progress, and if it doesn't improve maybe they could use a catheter to open you up a bit. I had a big catheter in at the hospital, and I pee better than I ever did - a big, strong stream. I use to drizzle before surgery.
Unread 12-04-2003, 01:29 PM
Thank You!!

Mel,

Thank You for the advice, I will try that next time I have trouble. We are going "home" for Christmas (12 hour drive) I have warned the DH that it might not be a race - and I'm not wearing diapers...

As for the cubicles in the stores, I really meant the height of the toilet. I can usually get by if I go to the handycapped stall, where the toilet is a bit taller.

I did also have a large catheter in the hospital. Didn't seem to help me. I'm scared of having to be "dilated" now...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register