Radiation, side effects & what to expect ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Radiation, side effects & what to expect ? Radiation, side effects & what to expect ?

Unread 12-04-2003, 05:28 PM
Radiation, side effects & what to expect ?

Hi ladies,

I started my radiation therapy on 12/1. I have done some research on what to expect... but I was hoping someone could give me a little insight.
I had my TAH/BSO on 10/21 and I have been so tired recently. I couldn't sleep the 1st 2 weeks... then I was up all night, waking up 4 to 5 times a night. NOW, all I want to do is sleep. ACK !

Ok, what side effects have you all had ?

AND..... What should I expect when I have the 3 internal treatments.... please tell me they are discreet about all this... do you go into a separate room for the internal.. or the same room as the external..... who inserts the cylinder ?

I ask these questions, which may appear so stooopid, but 3 girls who have been setting me up for the external appear like such space cadets... does a nurse have to insert the cylinder ??

Thanks & S to all,
Jana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2003, 09:33 PM
Radiation, side effects & what to expect ?

Hi, Jana. After your surgery in October and now the external radiation, yeah, you're gonna be tired. I slept lots, too (and loved every minute of it! lol).

You've only just started the radiation, though, and I wouldn't expect to see many side effects for another week or more. In the beginning, my side effects started out as increased bowel activity. In itself, that wasn't too tough to deal with. I did have other problems which developed down the road and which were tougher to deal with but you know what... every time I had something new developing, I was in the doctor's office talking about it and saying, "All right, what can we do here?" Believe me, I did not suffer in silence.

I also had the internal radiation. Three "hits" of HDR (high dose rate) radiation. All I can say is keep your sense of humor! It's really no worse than the simulation and marking for the external radiation. In my case, there wasn't a female tech or doctor to be found. Everyone in that darn procedure room (can't remember what it was really called) were men! And they were all professionals and they were all respectful, and most importantly, they were all good at their jobs. What more could I ask for?

As far as the actual treatment for internal radiation, yes, you'll be in the room with just the doctor and a nurse (at least that's how it was for me with the HDR). The doctor inserted the cylinder (HELLO!!) and it was over in 6 or so minutes. Not something I want to do again, but nothing that I couldn't handle.

Good luck to you, Jana, and enjoy the naps.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register