4 days to go... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 days to go... 4 days to go...

Unread 12-04-2003, 07:13 PM
4 days to go...

I was diagnosed with cervical cancer 3 weeks ago. This Monday (the 8th) I am going to have my surgery. A total hysterectomy, including limph nodes and part of my 'gina. Yes, I am scared to death as I have never been sick or hospitalized for anything except for the births of my wonderful children. I have been searching websites but they don't really tell you anything. I have read the message boards here and they have been very helpfull but I haven't seen much about the surgery I am having. Can someone please ease my fear a little??? )
love and hugs, joni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2003, 09:15 PM
4 days to go...

Welcome, Joni. I'm so glad you found us and posted.

It's certainly a very frightening time for you. Thankfully, you don't have to wait that long before undergoing the surgery. I had the same surgery in April of this year (although it was for cancer that was found in the ovaries and in the uterus), and I've recovered quite well. I had to have follow up therapies (both chemo and radiation). While this wasn't a cake walk, I'm doing fine now and have lots of energy.

Who will be doing your surgery? Is it an gyn oncologist surgeon? If you haven't already, you'll hear over and over that these are the folks you want when there's any suspicion of cancer.

When it comes to post-surgery recovery, do yourself a favor and take all the advice you get: rest, drink lots of fluids, let others do for you. In my opinion, following this advice actually sped my recovery.

We're all here for you and I will be keeping you in my prayers. Please keep in touch and let us know how you're doing.

Best,
Unread 12-04-2003, 11:09 PM
4 days to go...

Good Luck Sweetie,

I had the works out on 7-1-03 for uterine cancer. Even the lymph nodes---Ah, there are a few hundred of them, so who needs those in the pelvis?

I had the cervix taken outso now I have the 'gina that goes nowhere. It is a little bit of a funny feeling, but the doc keeps saying that sex should still be fine. It is still a bit uncomfy for us but almost back to normal.

I learned a lot about everything from reading the posts on this website. There is a lot of info here. If you have other questions call the american cancer society--they will answer ?'s and research things for you.

You can only recover once, so take it real easy so you don't form unecessary adhesions.

Alana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2003, 09:12 AM
Thank you all!

Thanks very much for your replies.....It's great to know that there are wonderful ladies out there who really understand. I have a wonderful support system (my mom is my rock) also my sisters, but I think it's hard for them to really understand. They are taking me out to a nice dinner tonight because I have to start my fast tomorrow (Sat) afternoon. I do have a wonderful gyn/onc so I know I'm in good hands. Has anyone had the freaky dreams before surgery???

Bless you all, Joni
Unread 12-06-2003, 05:50 PM
4 days to go...

Hi,

I had some pretty freaky dreams before and some after the surgery. I think it is the body's way of working through things. This a big job for our bodies to go through, and since it is necessary, the psyche needs to make peace with it somehow--I think the dreams are the way it is trying to be healthy.

Think of good things, do lots of deep breathing if things get stressed and remember the only way out of intense emotions is to go through them.

When you get to the "passing gas" stage in the hospital, just do a lot of deep breathing and suggest to youself to relax. My nurse counted with me In,2,3 slowly, OUT, 2 ,3 , relax. I never had so many people ask me if I had passed gas yet. It is kind of funny.

Good Luck--and be sure to put a pillow between you and the seat belt on the way home. Love, Alana

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register