Ovarian Cancer After Hyst? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovarian Cancer After Hyst? Ovarian Cancer After Hyst?

Unread 12-04-2003, 11:22 PM
Ovarian Cancer After Hyst?

I'm not even sure what to say...I guess I'm asking for support. I just had a second opinion today about an abdominal mass that was found and suspected to be an ovarian tumor by the ER (I had severe pain) and my OB-GYN. The 2nd opinion Dr. didn't have my emergency room or OB-GYN transvaginal ultrasound results, but she thought I should have surgery because it is probably ovarian cancer. I guess I was surprised, especially since I've had a complete hyst. How can she diagnose this without the ultrasound or lab results? Am I undereacting or is she overreacting? My OB-GYN (who is male) did not seem to be overly concerned and gave me norethindrone to shrink the mass. We did discuss surgery and discontinuing estrogen. I really don't want another surgery. Should I get a 3rd opinion? How common is Ovarian cancer after a hyst? I'm rambling now, so guess I'll stop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2003, 06:06 AM
Schedule Appt. With Gyn-Onc

I would recommend that you schedule an appointment with an experienced, board-certified gynecologic oncologist. Make sure to take a copy of all your test results and other medical records with you. Gyn-oncs are the experts in women's reproductive cancers and precancerous conditions. I was treated for endometrial cancer by a top-notch gyn-onc in 1999, and I owe my life and excellent health to him.

Good luck and please let us know how you make out.

MoeKay
Unread 12-05-2003, 08:54 AM

I think it's excellent advice to get the best third opinion you can. However, while rare, it is entirely possible to have ovarian cancer and not have ovaries. Since I myself had extremely rare cancer I don't like to ignore the possibility just because the probability is low!

Basically, you can have ovarian remnants, which are ovarian tissue missed in the surgery, or you can be one of the 5% of women who have a third ovary, or the cancer cells might have been present and grew on other tissue in the meantime.

It sounds as though you haven't had CA125 tests yet. Though not conclusive, they provide a clue. My cancer for instance did not show up in CA125. It was only the gut feeling of my very experienced gyn-onc that we had to go in and look around that found my cancer when it was borderline. And he told me that there's no real way to tell with a solid mass other than going in and taking it out.

I guess I'm tending to vote for MoeKay's suggestion and saying that surgery might be the way to go.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2003, 01:30 PM
Thanks MoeKay & Trish

Thanks to you both for your support and suggestions. It gives me a focused place to start instead of just sitting around confused. I'm going to get my records and search for a gyn oncologist for a 3rd opinion. I really appreciate your caring. I'll let you know how things turn out. Just reading others' posts on this website has been very calming, and I can only hope that posting about my experience will help someone else one day!
Thanks again,
Minuet
Unread 12-05-2003, 05:41 PM

Hi Net,

Moekay is absolutely right. If not for my gynocologist/oncologist, I dare to think of what might have been. These doctors are experts in the field. Please consult with on ASAP and let us know how things work out.

Rosalie
Unread 12-05-2003, 06:19 PM

I agree with the other women. You should get a third opinion by a gyn/oncologist. My mother had a hysterectomy years ago and a recently a tumor was found on the 1/2 an overy she had left. She went to 2 gyn's who made her very worried. She then went to my gyn/oncologist who did the surgery and it was not cancer. The gyn oncologist was very knowledgeable and reassuring.
Unread 12-06-2003, 02:00 AM
couldn't find Oncol Gyn in my small hometown

I researched the two cancer institutes in Huntsville (My hometown in Alabama) and didn't find one who specialized in gyn oncology..."they just did all cancers". I'm going to check out for gyn oncologists in a Medical School in Birmingham (I haven't figured out where to start though). Does anyone know of a national database on the web where I could search for certified gyn oncologists in my area? (or at least within 200 miles of me)
BTW, my primary Dr. wants me to keep a daily log of any pains I feel in my abdomen, even if they're mild. Did anyone else have to do this, and what would pains be indicating? Your support has been so good, especially since my signif. other has bombed out in the listening/understanding/problem solving departments! I think he is not able to deal with it or something. I'm sure some of you have had similar reactions from others.
Thanks again, and I'll check back for more posts, and also to post my experiences and progress (progress always means forward and ahead, right !)
Minuet
Unread 12-06-2003, 05:00 AM
Here's A List of Alabama Gyn-Oncs

Minuet--

I did a search for gynecologic oncologists in the state of Alabama. Below is a link to the entire list. All of them are located in Birmingham:

http://www.wcn.org/interior.cfm?featureid=4

If you want to research their credentials, in addition to checking the link provided on the above site, you can also do a search on www.ama-assn.org (go to Doctor Finder and type in the gyn-onc's name and state). This site provides information on the medical school they graduated from, where they did their residencies and fellowships, board certifications, and how long they have been in practice.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

MoeKay
Unread 12-06-2003, 05:09 AM

For some reason, when I checked the site in the post, the Alabama list of gyn-oncs did not appear, but it took me back to the main search page.

Just go down to the bottom of the page and use the pull down menu to get to your state. Or you can use the first search option by typing in your zip code to get all gyn-oncs within a certain mile radius of your home. I did not know you zip code, so I searched by state.

MoeKay
Unread 12-06-2003, 03:12 PM
Moekay

You might want to ask your gyn which gyn/onc he refers patients to. I was able to get in to see the best gyn/onc in my area because my gyn had trained under him and called him on my behalf. Your doctor might have similiar connections, or he will at least know who the best gyn/onc is in your area.

Hugs,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register