When can you have an alchoholic drink? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When can you have an alchoholic drink? When can you have an alchoholic drink?

Unread 12-05-2003, 03:19 PM
When can you have an alchoholic drink?

I was just wondering when I might be able to have a glass of wine. I'm supposed to go to a Christmas party tomorrow night. I know I will be sitting most of the time, but if I wanted to have a glass of wine would it hurt anything? Just wondering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2003, 03:26 PM

I had a drink at two weeks post op. Just one because I was driving later in the evening and it seemed to affect me more than normal. I wasn't taking any medication at that point though. Not a good idea to mix pills and alcohol...
Unread 12-05-2003, 04:14 PM

I had a drink at 2 1/2 weeks post op. Just a little Amaretto over ice, I had a wicked sore throat and it was so soothing, it worked too. Asked my doc. he told me I could have a glass of wine as long as I am not taking my pain meds and he took me off the iron and colace yesterday too. Don't think I am a drinker because that would be far from the truth, I buy liquors mainly for my cheesecakes (which I see locally) and to add to coffee or hot cocoa occasionally, and I use wine for cooking mostly or if we have company.
Toni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2003, 06:33 PM

OK - I must be a lush! I had 1 glass of wine with my dinner AT the hospital 2 days post-op. Doc OK'd it in my chart.
Unread 12-05-2003, 07:44 PM

That's not fair
Unread 12-05-2003, 08:22 PM

They let you drink in the HOSPITAL? How great. Where do you live? I think I will be fine. I haven't taken any pain meds since I left the hospital and I actually cheated tonight and had a glass of wine at home to see how it effected me.
Unread 12-05-2003, 08:33 PM

haha, I loved stingray's reply. I had a glass of wine 1 week after surgery. By then I was long off the pain killers. I stopped them two days after surgery. I started motrin as soon as I found out that I was given morphine for the operation. I watched my dad slowly die from an aneurism back in 1988. He was on a morphine drip so I wasn't too happy to see one hooked up to me. I was willing to deal with the pain just to be off it and on motrin. I even opened the hospital window to breath in fresh air to get rid of the cloud from the morphine. So when I got back home and wanted to rest and relax. I would have a glass of wine with my husband. ~ Cindy
Unread 12-06-2003, 05:19 AM

Hi
The Hospital I was in served a can of beer or a white /red wine with the evening meal.
I recall really enjoying the glass of wine in Hospital. One evening the lady brought in my dinner all okay but she forgot my wine !!!.
I chased her about the wards til I got my glass of wine !!!

So I think I must be a bigger lush !!!!
Unread 12-06-2003, 07:17 AM
drinky-poo

I had a glass of wine 2 weeks, 2 days post-op. I had not taken any meds but ibuprofen since 3 or 4 days post-op bcse it made me nauseated and didn't help with the spinal headaches. I had wine, watched Survivor and felt like I was truly recovering and headed for a much healthier, happier, uterus-free life. I had another glass last night while cooking dinner (since I was using the wine to cook!) and felt a little light-headed. Since I really don't want to fall down or pass out, I will save the imbibing for mealtime or after-dinner. Not a good idea on empty tummy!
Bon apetit!
Unread 12-06-2003, 07:28 AM

Hi there

I tried a glass (okay---two) a week post op -- and paid for it dearly the next day. I felt like I had a dozen ! I guess the digestive system is still quite sensitive from all that moving around during surgery. I waited another week -- tried again -- just one this time -- and again the effect seemed to be intensified. I have learned my lesson -- and think I can do without my "nightcap" until I am fully healed !

Deb

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register