Ways to lay down | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ways to lay down Ways to lay down

Unread 12-06-2003, 03:16 PM
Ways to lay down

Ok all I am a serious newbie to here. I just had surgery Dec1 and can not find a comfortable position to lay in bed. I have like 6 pillows around me. If I lay on my sides the pain is really really bad. I have had 2 BM's and they have not helped and almost have made it worse. Anyone out there have a suggestion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2003, 03:21 PM
Ways to lay down

Hi Trish, and welcome! I know how hard it is to get comfortable after this surgery, I'm still trying to find comfortable positions at 8 weeks post op. I have found that in the beginning it is most comfortable to sleep in a recliner, if you have one give that a try. I also tried sleeping on my back with many pillows propped up behind me, I'm a pillow freak, so I have a ton of pillows to sleep with normally. I just started sleeping on my side this week, and even know I can only do it for so long before I get uncomfortable and have to move. I bought a body pillow a few weeks ago, that's been a big help, I can lean against it and prop one leg over the pillow for additional support.

Good luck with finding a comfortable sleeping position!!

Take care,
Mary Ellen
Unread 12-06-2003, 06:36 PM
Ways to lay down

I am 3 1/2 weeks post-op and after going from the bed to the couch and back to the bed, I decided to try the recliner. It's not how I would normally choose to sleep, but is has been the most comfortable and I'm actually able to get a couple hours of straight sleep. I'm normally a side or tummy sleeper, not a back sleeper, so it's difficult wherever I lay, but the recliner has turned out to be the most comfortable for me. The last couple of nights, I have been able to turn half-way on my side without too much discomfort, so hopefully it won't be long until I can lay completely on my side. Good luck! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2003, 06:59 PM
Ways to lay down

I slept in a recliner for 2 weeks. After that I tried the bed but would often have to get up in the night and switch back to the recliner because I would start to hurt. I am fluffy and a side sleeper so it was hard to to comfortable. I finally made it back to bed full time in the last week. Just in time too, since I had rented a recliner for a month and they came to get it yesterday!
Unread 12-06-2003, 07:02 PM
Ways to lay down

I did the same as Mary Ellen - use a body pillow and throw one leg over it. I pretty much did that from the first day I came home, and slowly was able to move to where I was sleeping fully on my side or stomach. I still use the body pillow a lot when I'm extra sore or feel I need the support.
Unread 12-06-2003, 08:27 PM
Ways to lay down

Hmm well it looks like maybe Monday I can sleep. With the adhesions and the locations of them I can not do stairs for 1 week. There are recliners downstairs but none up here. (and no bathroom down there). I might so stir crazy by then. Thanks for all the help. Did anyone try a heating pad?
Unread 12-06-2003, 08:39 PM
Ways to lay down

Get someone to bring you a recliner upstairs. Believe me, it will be the best Christmas present they can give you!
Unread 12-06-2003, 10:23 PM
Ways to lay down

Hi Trish

I used a wheat bag heated in the microwave on my back after my hyst. It was wonderful. I had really bad backache for the first couple of weeks. It became my very best friend. It's also okay to use it on your tummy too, but make sure it's not too hot....you don't want to burn yourself!!!!!

Unread 12-07-2003, 01:56 AM
Ways to lay down

hi trish! i just had my tah/bso on dec 1st also. i'm up at this ungodly hour because i can't sleep. my dh is shipping off today for the middle east (his reserve unit got activated). the timing stinks and that's partly why i can't sleep.

i have found with me in order to get into my bed, it's best if i get on my bed on my knees and then attemp to go over on my left side first. all the tugging i was doing on my own was really killing my abd and to me in general. i also bought a body pillow the day before my surgery but i have yet to use it correctly yet.

the first time i sat in my recliner, i couldn't get myself out of it....can you believe that one. i was in so much pain when i finally got out.

have you tried lying on your back? i did that the first night i was home and i thought my dh was doing to club me to death in my abdomen since he is so used to having his arm slung all over me. after i spoke up about my concerns, he hasn't bothered me with it.

i'm noticing that things can change from one moment to the next and i know that this will eventually all be behind me. i've just gotta remember that this is a slow healing process and i just can't be superwoman for a while. things will all work themselves out.

debbie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register