Update on left sided pain and pelvic irritation | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Update on left sided pain and pelvic irritation Update on left sided pain and pelvic irritation

Unread 12-08-2003, 08:27 AM
Update on left sided pain and pelvic irritation

So far nothing has taken away my left sided pain and pelvic irritation. My gyn did not want me to go to the Neurologist. My Urologist did. My last visit with the gyn he gave me enough refills of Wellbutrin for depression, Xanax for pelvic irritation relief, and Neurontin for nerve pain. The combination of Neurontin and Xanax keep it bareable. I am able to do more while I am taking these meds. I am also taking Restoril for sleep and my insomnia is being controlled nicely through medication. However, my gyn wanted to refer me to a psychiatrist because he said he doesn't know how to manage the Neurontin at the higher levels. I have decided to go to the Neurologist. I seriously doubt that the psychiatrist is going to feel comfortable managing Neurontin either, especially since nothing has been identified as the problem yet. So, I called my Urologist and he has referred me to the Neurologist. I have an appointment on January 14, 2003. I now feel that this is not a normal process of healing. I notice that the irritation is not there when I wake up in the morning. In fact, I feel relaxed and normal. Then as I get up and begin moving around it starts. Sitting on a hard chair or for long periods of time makes it worse. A lot of walking makes it worse. And by the end of the day even the Neurontin and Xanax don't really help. I have not seen any posts here that describe the same kind of itchy pain that I feel in my bottom, vagina and abdomen. One more thing is that now during intercourse I cannot achieve an orgasm. It seems that there are so many nerve endings firing that it is blocking my ability to reach the sensation necessary. It is possible that the meds might be causing this. Who knows? But I will report again after I see the neurologist. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2003, 10:19 AM

Dear Kelou...

Gosh..you are really having a tough time

Have you checked into pudendal neuralgia or neuropathy... one key indicator of that is trouble with sitting (at least that is what the Mayo Gyn had mentioned)... Just an idea to research. The pudendal nerve innervates the pelvic floor and all the "openings" down there etc.

Also, check out the side affects for the Wellbutrin... I know that they advertise that it has a low risk of sexual side affects but I seem to recall when the doctor was thinking of putting me on it that it still could affect you in that regard. I don't recall the side affects of the Neurontin besides the ones I had which were mainly drowsy/foggy feeling all the time.

Keep us posted!!

Sarah
Unread 12-10-2003, 05:34 PM
nerve pain

Kelou,

When I read your post, I thought you were writing about me! I have the same pain, mine is on the left side in the back, feels like the rectum into my buttocks . Pain medicine doesnt work, I am trying to get an appointment with a neuologist and its going to be another month and in the meantime, I dont know how I am going to endure the pain. Like you, when I get up in the morning its not bad, but as the day goes on its worse, and driving and sitting make it unbearable. My gyn doesnt seem to be able to any more, and now I am waiting again. I know how you feel, it seems like there is so much involved with this surgery that I didn;t realize it could effect so many things including nerves. Hang in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2003, 05:39 PM

Dear Mdkohio,

Just wanted to suggest you look into Levator Ani syndrome... or ask the doctor about it etc.

I hope you find an answer.

Sarah
Unread 12-10-2003, 05:50 PM
butt pain

What is that exactly?
Unread 12-10-2003, 09:53 PM
Hi Ladies........

Just another humble suggestion..........I had the same pain that you are describing....the feeling good in the morning but as the day progressed and I was up and about the pain would become worse and by night time I was miserable. Also the sitting for long periods of time, althogh lying didn't seem to be a problem. You may want to ask your Dr to check you for a hernia.............they are very hard to diagnose in women though. I saw three Dr's before I found a D.O who finally "diagnosed" a hernia although the only way to really diagnose a hernia without an ovious bulge is through surgery which he did and there it was and it was very large.

Best of luck to you and warm 's
Dawn
Unread 12-11-2003, 05:48 AM

Kelou,

I am also still having that left side pain. My pain is also not felt in the morning as the day progresses the left side pain also progresses. I also notice that sitting in a hard chair for long periods of time, standing for long periods of time and walking for long periods of time (I was really sore after a weekend of Christmas shopping with my mom) I seem miserbale. Infact I was so sore last night that I had to result to one of my pain pills from surgery. I am also getting furstrated wishing this pain would go away. I have been dealing with this pain since for about 1 1/2 years.

Were exactly is your left pain located? Mine is just right below my pubic hair right next to my leg on the left side. It is like an acking nawing pain that can be very painful.

I have gone to the GYN and he thougth it was endo (which apperantly it's not because I still had the pain shortly after my LAVH, the family doctor thought it was divercoulses (sp) sent me to the Gastro who did colonscopy who said no and that it could be the IBS but thinks it is more then likely something gynocological (sp). So I am stuck in a rut because my gyn will not listen. I have mentioned this pain to my Uro and he said when he does the cystoscope & strecking of my urthra he will check to see if he can see anything that may be causing the pain and check the vaginal cuff. (But I had this pain prior to sugery so I don't think it would be the cuff)

I know how fustrating it is.... I just wish this pain would go away. Please keep us updated as to what you find out!

Sweety Tweety
Unread 12-11-2003, 08:28 AM

Hey Girls,
I too am having this left sided pain and it gets worse by early evening and sometimes sitting is unbearable.I can touch down there and not hurt it .It's like the pain is too deep to touch.My pain seems to be located to the left of the rectum on the lower butt.Of course if I push really hard I can make it hurt worse.Also I can't sleep on my left side any more.It causes it to hurt worse.My gyno.doesn't know what's wrong.I've had x-rays ,c-scan and been to a nurologist.I'm now scheduled for a colonoscopy Jan.2nd.I have symptoms of IBS or diverticulosis.This road seems to get longer every day.I haven't even started on decorating for Christmas or done any shopping yet :hair: Oh and this pain just seems to cause me to start hurting all over down there,rectally and vaginally and by late afternoon I have that total fallout feeling You won't believe this but right now as I'm sitting here I'm hurting to the right side.Maybe just because I've been sitting here too long.It's strange that we all have this same pain.It makes you think it just has to be hysterectomy related.

TAH/BSO 6-13-02 FOR FIBROID FILLED UTERUS,HEAVY BLEEDING AND SEVERE ANEMIA.

's
Unread 12-11-2003, 08:33 AM

Dear Jenny,

You may also want to look into Levator Ani syndrome if you haven't already. It can cause symptoms like you mention in your post.

Sarah
Unread 12-11-2003, 09:28 AM

Sarah,
I've never heard of Levator Ani syndrome.What is it and what causes it ?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register