Chemo begins 12/11 - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Chemo begins 12/11 Chemo begins 12/11

Unread 12-13-2003, 04:31 PM
Chemo begins 12/11

Rosalie,

After this journey has ended, the land of radiation maybe we could have a hyster sister luncheon here on Long Island!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2003, 08:46 PM
Chemo begins 12/11

Sounds wonderful to me...Just let me know when!!

Rosalie
Unread 12-14-2003, 07:16 AM
Chemo begins 12/11

Hey, Limbo. You and I had almost the same exact protocol for pre-meds and post.

While the doctor always gave me a prescription for 10 Zofran, I don't think I ever took more than 3 or 4 at a max (per chemo). So, it really was just after one day beyond the chemo that I stopped taking the Zofran.

Yes, these anti-nausea meds and the steroids all cause constipation. I, too, took Colace and found it to be really helpful.

I didn't have too many problems sleeping, but you're right, your body is so wired up on all the pre-meds and the chemo itself, that you do get jittery. Every time I had a chemo, it was like I was just so focused on my own body and what was happening to it that I was "aware" of everything. Frankly, I don't like being aware to that degree. lol.

As far as bone pain, I had that, too, and my experience was similar to a lot of women. That is, Day 1 was ok, Day 2 was a little worse, etc. Around Day 4 is when it would peak. I started out taking Advil (do not take aspirin) but found that didn't help much. I asked my doctor to suggest something stronger but not prescription/narcotic, and he suggested Motrin. That did help a lot.

Good luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2003, 08:28 AM
Chemo begins 12/11

Hi Maureenie

Thanks for the suggestion re pain killers. I don't recall what I was told to take... if anything. And I'm not sure if what I'm feeling is muscle achiness or bone pain. It's focused in my joints, primarily knees and ankles and just rubbing helps alot. I have been taking the occasional tylenol because I was afraid ibuprofen was a no-no. I'll check with my doc about the motrin.

I also know EXACTLY what you mean about being so aware of my body. Quite a change from before all this started when I had an obviously foolish tendency to not pay attention and mask my pain with ibuprofen. But this is just too weird a sensation not to notice everything. I wonder if it gets any better as you go through the cycles.

Today is day 4. I woke up every hour on the hour last night to pee [drinking lots of water like a good girl] but I otherwise slept well and feel a bit more rested this morning. I haven't been up long, but I think I might feel a bit better than yesterday. *fingers crossed*

I haven't felt that nauseaous, but I'm taking the Zofran anyway because I was told to do so whether I felt nauseous or not. I'm more than willing to do that if it keeps it at bay. Fortunately I have insurance so it's only $20 for the prescription.

Thanks again for the support, everyone.

Limbo
Unread 12-14-2003, 11:45 AM
Chemo begins 12/11

Hi Limbo,

Thought I'd add my experience with chemo too.

I was not required to take any meds the evening before. I would get them the day of treatment. First they would run in the IV with the steroids, antihistamine and nausea medication which took about half an hour, then the taxol followed by the carboplatin. The first treatment took the longest - I was there 7 hours because they wanted to make sure I didn't have an adverse reaction. After that it took about 4 hours.

I didn't have a port because it was felt with three treatments it wasn't necessary, so they would use my hand. It always took three or four tries, and lidocaine wasn't used either! The nurse would give up and call in another who always got the needle in her first try. I started calling her Deadeye Deb. I could never figure out why they just didn't have her do it at the start instead of waiting until both my hands were bunged up.

My arm always hurt when they ran in the taxol starting at the wrist, sometimes up to my shoulder. The nurse told me it was because the liquid was kept so cold. They would give me a hot pack to place on the IV site, and it did seem to help.

I was given Compazine to take for nausea. I was told to start it the evening after treatment and continue every 6 hours for the next three days. It worked fine, but did make me feel very spacey and I was always glad when I could stop.

I was told not to take aspirin or ibuprofin for the bone pain because they could cause bleeding. I took extra strength Tylenol which took the edge off, though it didn't stop the aches entirely. Keeping as warm as possible helped.

The steroids did hype me up for about 24 hours and I had a difficult time sleeping. They also made me hungry, but I had such a nasty taste in my mouth that food was not that appealing. I did take naps during the day, but only if I could relax on the couch and turn on the TV. Day time television is pretty boring, and it did help put me out for a few hours.

As for constipation, for some reason it was never a problem for me. I didn't need any laxatives or stool softeners, but did have an apple or two daily, so maybe that helped.

Immunity - my doctor had me get a flu shot and told me to stay away from crowds. Not hard to do since I live by myself! I do have cats, so when I cleaned the litter box I had to "suit up", mask and latex gloves.

Well, it's one down for you! The time will go more quickly than you think, and before you know it you'll be done! Keep us up to date on your progress.

s
Unread 12-15-2003, 05:28 PM
Chemo begins 12/11

Whew! Finally starting to feel better. Siren, you were pretty much right on about the timeline. I felt worse Saturday and worse still Sunday. I got nauseated Sunday morning and had to take one of those back-up pills, but never threw up. I'm feeling better today, but very weak. Surprisingly weak. I'm hoping to have some strength back by tomorrow. I'm tired of laying around on the couch!

Thanks for sharing your experiences. It helps immensely to have more info. I don't know that I'll be able to work while I'm doing chemo, primarily because of the nature of my job. I'm a trial attorney and am responsible for a caseload of clients. I don't think it would be fair to them to not be at my best. It would be nice to find something to keep me active when I'm feeling better. Any suggestions?

Limbo
Unread 12-15-2003, 06:03 PM
Chemo begins 12/11

Hi Limbo,

Chemo can and does take a toll on all of us. However, I found working through all my treatments was the very best medicine. I would get my treatments on a Thursday, be well on Friday, zonk out on Saturday and Sunday and then back to work on Monday. I am a teacher.

Maybe you can lighten your work load a little and do as much as you can. When I asked my oncologist about working during chemo, she said, "The people that do the best on chemo are the ones that keep their regular lifestyle going". I could not see myself being home all day and night while getting treatments.

Yes, I know, I was of the lucky ones who truly did feel good but I do believe that being active helped alot.

Keep in touch.

Rosalie
Unread 12-15-2003, 06:46 PM
To Liz

Hi there!
I seem to have lost your email address but I have been thinking about you. How was your surgery? Is that all the treatment that you will need? I hope so! Please, let me know how you are doing and what they found when they did the surgery. Send me an email if you get a minute. I hope your recovery is going well.
Hugs and loves,
Janie
Unread 12-15-2003, 06:49 PM
To Liz, again!

Liz,
I forgot to ask, what kind of cervical cancer did you have? Did the stage remain the same after surgery? email me!
Thanks!
love,
Unread 12-17-2003, 07:23 PM
Chemo begins 12/11

Day 7 and I'm feeling MUCH better. Still a bit fatigued but not bad. So far only remaining noticable effects are an odd taste in my mouth. I go in tomorrow for labs to see where my blood counts are.

I'm also scheduled to get my port installed on Dec. 31st. Round 2 will happend on January 2nd... a 22 day cycle this time because of the holidays. Fortunately the memory of how I felt Saurday and Sunday is already fading. Should be ready for round 2 when it comes around, but in the meantime I'll make the most of what's left of the holiday season.

Limbo

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register