endo cancer and ruptured bladder | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

endo cancer and ruptured bladder endo cancer and ruptured bladder

Unread 12-11-2003, 03:43 PM
endo cancer and ruptured bladder

Hi sisters!
I'm new here, and you have all been such an encouragement to me! It's been nearly a year since my hyst. for endometrial cancer, stage 2. There were some cancer cells on the cervix as well. I had complications--a ruptured bladder--which my gyn. says was unpreventable because the wall of my bladder was "vascular, bloody, and weak." Yet he himself did not tell me my bladder was ruptured (I had urine in my abdominal cavity, needed a chest tube to drain 10 litres of fluid from my body, heavy-duty IV antibiotics, a second surgery to repair a 1 1/2 in. x 2 in. hole, and ureteral stents because the hole was close to both ureters).

Afterwards he assured me I needed no radiation treatments, but unfortunately, at that time I did not trust him anymore! I asked for my medical records to be sent to the cancer clinic but my gyn. left a condescending message on my answering machine: "As I already told you, Mrs. B., you will not be needing any further treatment." I went to my GP after that and told her it was extremely important for me to have my records sent to the cancer clinic for their expert opinion. She seemed annoyed with me, but agreed. A few weeks later my GP gave me a letter from the cancer clinic confirming the gyn's decision--no radiation treatments would be necessary. I felt better after that, but sometimes I still wonder, especially after reading some of the threads on this site. I have never had an opportunity to actually see a gyn. oncologist. I asked for one, but my GP said it would not be necessary. My GP was present when my gyn did the surgery, and she feels the complications were not his fault.

I don't want to focus on who is to blame, but I do need to work through the emotions--the cancer was one trauma, the complications were another. It all happened so fast, and now that it's nearly a year, a lot of feelings are coming to the surface.

Thanks for letting me vent!!!! You are the ones who understand.

Monalees
"Only in God is my soul at rest."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2003, 03:49 PM

Hi, Monalees, I applaud you for the way you handled yourself! You were right to press on until you got the answer you felt you needed. And, hey, if your Dr is going to catch an attitude because you're looking for a second review, tough! Get over it!

I can appreciate that all these feelings are bubbling up to the surface. I'll be real curious to see how I "handle things" when I'm coming up to my one year anniversary (or would that be how "things handle" me? LOL)...

Good luck to you.
Unread 12-11-2003, 03:49 PM

Hi there,

Just responding to say hi, since I also live in BC and am Dutch as well!

Marja
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2003, 05:17 PM

Dear Maureenie,
Thank you for responding! You really brightened my day. This site is a life-line! It encouraged me to know that you don't think I've overreacted.

I wish you well, too, Maureenie, when your "hysterversary" arrives. It's quite a journey, isn't it. I have a lot more empathy now for women who go through this. I had no idea about the physical and emotional after-effects.

Monalees
Unread 12-11-2003, 05:26 PM

Dear Marja,

Thank you for brightening my day! I'm delighted to have a hystersister right here in B.C., and Dutch too! Somehow, knowing you sisters are out there gives me the courage to face the world and my housework and laundry! again, even though I'm feeling weepy and apathetic lately. Life is still good!

Monalees
Unread 12-12-2003, 01:26 PM
Maureenie is "right on".

Monalees, I agree with Maureenie. If you need another opinion to make you comfortable with the diagnosis / treatment plan, then you should get it. Your doctor should understand that you don't necessarily not trust his opinion, you just want a second to confirm it. His lack of understanding about that would worry me as much as anything he might have done or not done with regards to your physical care.

Do what is right for you.

Mary D.
Unread 12-13-2003, 10:59 PM

Dear Seashell,

Thank you for your response! It sounds like you have been through a lot--my heart goes out to you! You've helped me make up my mind to find a new doctor. It is so good to have input from others who have "been there." I've been overwhelmed this past year--so much happened so fast. You are helping me to process the feelings and to make decisions that will help my healing.

You sisters are GEMS! I feel better emotionally than I have in a long time. I have a passion for living again. It's so good to know I have a support group of women who understand this journey.

Seashell, it's neat that you're in Chicago. I can picture where you live, because I actually spent one year in a suburb near Chicago--Trinity Christian College in Palos Heights, Illinois. It was one of the most exciting years of my life.

Monalees

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register