possible prolapse again :( | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

possible prolapse again :( possible prolapse again :(

Unread 12-11-2003, 04:45 PM
possible prolapse again :(

Hi all !
Have not been here in ages.
Go to Dr on monday ....feel like I have a prolapsed bladder again.
Is it possible for it to happen in just 1 1/2 years after hyst?
I do a lot of lifting at work but Dr. said it was ok.
Any info would be great !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2003, 05:04 PM

Hi!

No info. on prolapse, but I certainly hope you don't have one!!!
It's been nearly a year since my hyst. and I had prolapse too.

Sorry to hear you're having troubles. Hope it's not what you fear it is. Take care!

Monalees
Unread 12-13-2003, 11:05 AM

((Denise)),
Unfortunately, it is possible We've had several other ((Ladies)) who've had repair work done at the time of their Hyst or after & have had to undergo additional surgery...the time frames have been from a few months to years I am 4 yrs Post TAH & was dx w/a Vaginal Vault prolapse about 6 months ago...my symptoms started at about 1.5-2 yrs & have progressively worsened exp over the past 18 months or so. I have some info I'll post from where I've done some homework/research regarding my own situation. Let me know if you don't see what your looking for & I have some additional info as well I can share.

Quote:
Proper diagnosis is the key to treating the problem. Treatment can include behavioral therapies, the use of Pessaries or other vaginal inserts to provide better support for the organs, or surgery.
About Bladder Prolapse
Hysterectomy Surgery Linked To Risk Of Urinary Incontinence In Later Life

Women's Health Symptoms Guide - What Do My Symptoms Mean?

Quote:
A Cystocele occurs when the bladder sags or bulges into the vagina.
A cystocele may develop if a woman's lower abdominal muscles become damaged by pregnancy, labor, childbirth, or a previous pelvic surgery, or weakened by aging.
A cystocele may cause leaking of urine, especially when you cough, laugh, or jump, or you may have difficulty emptying your bladder, which may cause bladder infections.

Exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles, called Kegel exercises, may help. Your doctor may recommend using a pessary. In some cases, surgery may be needed.

A urethrocele occurs when the tube that carries urine from the bladder to the outside of the body (urethra) sags or bulges into a woman's vagina.
It may develop when a woman's pelvic muscles become damaged by pregnancy, labor, childbirth, or a previous pelvic surgery, or weakened by aging.
A woman with a urethrocele may have leaking of urine, especially when she coughs, laughs, or jumps; or she may have difficulty emptying her bladder, which may cause bladder infections.

Vaginal Vault prolapse following a hysterectomy:

Vaginal Vault prolapse can occur following a hysterectomy when the top of the vagina loses the support of the uterus and drops. The amount of the drop can vary from a slight sag into the vaginal canal to a complete drop, where the top of the vagina bulges outside of the vaginal opening.
Most women with a vaginal vault prolapse will also have bulging of the intestine (enterocele) into the vagina. Other bladder and bowel problems, such as urinary incontinence and constipation, are likely to occur with vaginal vault prolapse.
Vaginal vault prolapse may be treated with a special device that holds the vagina in place (vaginal pessary). Treatment with the hormone estrogen may help slow the progress of the prolapse and helps to reduce complications from a pessary. Sometimes surgery is needed to repair vaginal vault prolapse.

Small bowel Prolapse, Enterocele occurs when the end of the intestine bulges into the wall of the upper portion of the vagina.
An enterocele may become large or more obvious when you strain or bear down.
An enterocele may cause a heavy feeling in the vagina, constipation, or incomplete emptying of the bowel. You may also have a pulling or aching feeling in the low back or pelvis that may be more noticeable after standing for a long time.

A Rectocele occurs when the end of the large intestine (rectum) sags, causing it to push against and sometimes through the back wall of the vagina. A rectocele may become large or more obvious when you strain or bear down.
A rectocele usually develops when a woman's pelvic muscles become weak as a result of aging, or having previous surgery.

What are the symptoms of female genital prolapse?
The most common and bothersome symptom is bulging of the uterus into the vagina or outside of the body.

Other common symptoms include:
  • A pulling or stretching in the groin area or a low backache.
  • Painful intercourse (dyspareunia).
  • Spotting or bleeding from the vagina.
  • Urinary problems, such as incontinence or a frequent or urgent
    need to urinate, especially at night.
  • Difficulty with bowel movements.
  • Constipation
Symptoms of pelvic organ prolapse are made worse by standing, jumping, and lifting and usually are relieved by lying down.
http://columbus.yourhealthinformatio...sp?hwid=tv1284
Treatment, Classification & Risk factors for Pelvic Organ Prolapse

I hope this is of some help! Good Luck hopefully, what your experiencing will not require further surgery Pls keep us posted & let us know how your doing....(((((hugs)))))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2003, 08:29 PM

((((Denise))))) I'm so sorry you might be looking at another prolapse

I had a rectocele repaired at the same time as my hyst. I was very surprised to learn that, for the rest of my life, I would have to be very careful when lifting and straining, and that I should indeed avoid to do so as much as possible, in order to avoid damaging the repair. Prolapse recurrance is always a possibility, especially for those of us who've had their cervix removed

Sorry I can't be of much help, just sending lots of s your way. Please keep us posted.
Unread 12-13-2003, 09:09 PM

{{{{{{{{{Denise}}}}}}}} sending you some s. So sorry to hear you may be facing some more problems. I hope the doctor can shed some light on the situation and the solution is a simple one. Fingers crossed for you. Please let us know what you find out at your appt. Take care.........

Emily
Unread 12-26-2003, 02:21 PM

got so busy forgot to reply ...........
have appt with uro-gyn Monay Dec 29th at 130 pm will keep you informed !
Unread 12-26-2003, 09:42 PM

Thanks for sharing your upcoming appt ((Denise))
I hope all goes well & you are able to receive
some answers & relief to your pain
Good Luck! I'll be looking forward to you update...(((hugs))))

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register