Delayed Empting | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Delayed Empting Delayed Empting

Unread 12-11-2003, 06:17 PM
Delayed Empting

Trying to explain to my doctor that I have adhensions because of prior surgery with hyst and gallbladder just 2 mnths ago. Anyway 8 mnths ago was my hyst. and 2 mnths after that the pain was back and now they FINALLY figured out I have delayed empting which is where your food should break down in 45 minutes mine takes over 4 hrs and sits in the stomach which becomes toxic and causes organ damage. I'm trying to tell them this is adhensions in the intestines but no one seems to believe me. I think this is the cause has anyone else had this problem after their hysterectomy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2003, 07:58 PM
Delayed Empting

Dear Chelsey,

At one time (before my hyst) the GI doctor thought I had gastroparesis (delayed stomach emptying). Is that what the doctors think you have? Did you have that lovely test where you eat the radioactive food and they measure how long it takes you to digest it?

In my case, one test came back with delayed emptying but another test done at the Mayo in Rochester showed normal emptying.

So, if it is gastroparesis all I know is that it is thought to be due to nerve damage of the nerve that controls the stomach... I do remember that one thing that can damage the nerve is poorly controlled diabetes but that is about all I recall... sorry...

If it was for your intestines I have no idea... sorry... I might be able to find another hostess who has some ideas on that... I will check.

Sarah
Unread 12-11-2003, 08:15 PM
delayed empting

Yes I had the test done and he said it was remarkably delayed, but anyway I want to know about the adhensions because I'm very prone for that but I hope he will at least go in and check this out before just saying I have this type of diagnosis. This is long term for that type of disease. I have to say the lower right side abdominal pain is right across from the belly button, problems after eating. The pain gets very intense and I have constant diarrea, theirs times I'm over whelmed with pain and can't move or walk hardly. Every is very stressful on top of a marriage that is falling apart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2003, 10:04 PM
Delayed Empting

HI Chelsey,

I have not been diagnosed, positively, with adhesions but my gyn has told me I probably do have them because of my hyst surgery. So I can't completely relate to your situation, but I do know that adhesions can be very painful and cause lots of intestinal problems. I'll probably take metamucil the rest of my life!

I'm providing a link to the Resources Forum where we have an area devoted to adhesions. There are links to other websites with great information. This might help you. Just click the link below.

Adhesions Resource Links

Please keep us posted on how you are doing, okay?

Beth
Unread 12-13-2003, 02:08 AM
Delayed Empting

Chelsey:

It helps to get a gastroenterologist who understands adhesions and endo, since so many of us with endo have had GI complications.

Adhesions can create "strictures", which are narrowings in either the large intestine or the small intestine. Another problem can be an inability to break down foods, since your gall bladder was removed and the hormonal changes of the hyst can also change how your stomach reacts. For example, if you don't manufacture enough saliva (which happens to some of us as part of the menopause process), the enzymes needed to break up the food in the first place may not be present.

Your pain sounds discrete enough that a focussed small bowel series and either C-T or barium enema might show narrowings. However, it may take laparosocopy in the end to diagnose what is going on. Bowel obstruction is unfortunately VERY common in those who've had pelvic or abdominal surgery in the past. You've had both.

IF: you start vomiting AT ALL or your diarrhea changes, you need to get in to be seen immediately. They can be signs of complete bowel obstruction, and ignoring them is dangerous. Partial bowel obstruction isn't uncommon, and may also explain your symptoms. In the meanwhile, eat carefully. I find that fiber and a lot of water help, but if you have something like diverticulitis (which also could cause some of your symptoms) then that's not a good idea. That's why it's so important to keep pursuing this, even though it's unpleasant.

I found that cutting out wheat, taking digestive enzymes, and eating softer foods helped to some degree. I still have pain and discomfort when eating, but it's better than it was. My doctor has suspected a small bowel obstruction (partial) or some narrowing due to adhesions. I'm not finished with all the tests yet. I also try to eat small meals, and use very little dairy for my protein. Since you're having diarrhea, you may want to try the BRAT diet: Bananas, rice, apples, and toast. If you take anything for the diarrhea, though, let your doctor know; not all of it is appropriate for use in a situation like yours.

I hope you get some answers soon. Keep trying; most doctors should understand adhesions and their potential for bowel obstruction, particularly if you had endo (which is an inflammatory sort of thing). Those of us with endo make more scar tissue than most.

I can imagine how stressful it is on any marriage to be dealing with constant illness, particularly if your husband has no experience with illness and expects everything to continue to be the same. We have a forum, called Aching Hearts where you can always find a listening ear to the emotional changes that come with this sort of chronic problem.

I sure hope you're able to finally get some real answers. As I said, it may take a diagnostic lap to be sure (and the best surgeon you can find), but that may be what it takes to finally know exactly what is going on.

Gentle s,

Audrey

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register