How did you pass the time in the hospital? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How did you pass the time in the hospital? How did you pass the time in the hospital?

Unread 12-12-2003, 01:12 PM
How did you pass the time in the hospital?

I'm curious as to how you ladies passed the time in the hospital while you recovered from your surgeries. I'll be having my hyster on Dec. 26 and my doc said I'll be in 3-5 days. I realize I'm going to be pretty dopey at first, but I'm hoping I'll be a bit more coherent within a day or so. I'm getting my hospital bag packed and I'm wondering what to add to keep me from being bored. There is so much activity in my house on a daily basis that I think I'm going to be a little lonely because DH needs to be with our two DS also.
Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2003, 01:38 PM

Hi Lisa- I had my hyster 9 days ago. I was only in the hospital for 24 hours and the day of my surgery I was pretty doped up on morphine shots that I couldn't talk or concentrate on conversation or tv. the next day, I wasn't as doped up, but I took along a word search and some books I got from the library, but I also tried to take little naps here and there and I also got up and took walks down the halls and looked at the babies in the nursery, I was on the maternity floor. For the most part, as bad as it sounds, I tried to enjoy the peace and quiet because I also have two little ones at home and new it would not be that quiet again!! as far as your bag goes I was at a loss on what to take too, but anything too sentimental would make me cry, because I was emotional anyway. I didn't need much either, except for my brush and slippers. They come in very handy!!!
Well, hope this is a little helpful, I wish for you the best recovery!!
Take care
Unread 12-12-2003, 01:45 PM

I was in the hospital for 3 days and took along crosswords and word search puzzles and didn't even take them out of my bag. I slept most of the time and had to take 5 walks a day which then seemed like miles. I was out of it from the morphine pump so I really didn't feel like doing anything. Not until I think my 3-4 week home did I do my puzzle books. Even at home all I wanted to do was sleep. I had to continue to take my daily walks around the house per my doctor's orders. We'll be thinking about you and enjoy your Christmas!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2003, 02:20 PM

I agree...you will probably be pretty out of it, either with morphine or just tired. I was in the hospital 2 days and they went by very quickly. I did not feel like doing much - watched a little TV, but slept most of the time. Maybe you would like to listen to music...
Unread 12-12-2003, 02:36 PM

My castle visit was 4 days. Took all kinds of magazines, books, etc. Spent all the time sleeping and just lying there. Most ladies find they are not in the mode to do anything!

Also, don't take a lot in your bag. I took make-up, blow dryer, curling irons, etc. I didn't care what I looked like. My DD was horrified with my hair - it's short and I constantly had a bad case of "bed-hair"! A little water and a comb through it was fine for me!

I, too, was on the OB ward. On the second day there all the babies & mommies went home except one, so I and the new mommy had the whole ward to ourselves. Since it was right before Halloween I had taken a plastic pumpkin full of chocolate candies for the nurses and my visitors. The last night I was there it was so quiet and the nurses were so bored for something to do that they became very inventive with "costumes" and came trick-or-treating to my room. It was wonderful. When I left the next morning my DH had restocked the pumpkin and I left it at the nurses' desk with a handwritten "thank you" to them. So, use your imagination and come up with something - New Year's hats, streamers, etc. - that you can leave them. They'll appreciate it.

Good luck.
Unread 12-12-2003, 02:37 PM

I pushed the little button on the PCA machine and looked at the rain coming down for a week, watched inane soap operas or the news here and there, just generally hung out. I couldn't focus enough to read, and could talk on the phone only briefly because it hurt to talk more than just a little bit.

I had a big double surgery (TAH+BSO plus colon re-section) so I took longer to recover and get out of the hospital. I stayed there 11 days.

Most likely, you'll do like the bulk of the other gals here, and have a short stay and do great. The best thing that I brought (for when I wasn't feeling so terrible) was a long-distance calling card and telephone numbers of friends I wanted to call. Oh, and the hospital offered e-mail to patients, brought in daily by volunteers. My friends sent lots of emails and that cheered me very much, so check and see if you can get email. (11 days without email is about 10 too many for me!)
Unread 12-12-2003, 02:41 PM

I slept, complained about lower back pain, hid the hospital "food" in the wastebasket, and walked. The book and magazines I'd brought with me stayed in the bag, untouched. I had no interest in television, either. When my husband was there, I held his hand. There's something about receiving intravenous narcotics that just makes a person want to rest.
Unread 12-12-2003, 03:02 PM

I guess my hospital stay sounds just about like everyone elses. I had my surgery at 8am on a monday and didn't go home until friday afternoon due to some complications. I packed lots of stuff to keep me occupied, but I only read one newspaper, watched TV and slept and slept and slept!! Just getting up to go to the bathroom tires you out more than you can imagine!! Good luck.
Unread 12-12-2003, 03:03 PM

Hi,

I had a TAH last year and was in the hospital from Thursday until Sunday afternoon. Like the other ladies, I took magazines and books with me, but never even looked at them. I pretty much slept for most of the time, when I wasn't walking the halls or (The morphine made me sick for the first two days.)

I did "watch" a little TV, but couldn't concentrate enough to follow the story line or even care. I'd open one eye, squint at the TV for a few seconds, then when I'd check it out again, a totally different show would be on.

I'd recommend taking a couple of magazines, maybe a small CD player with your favorite CDs, but don't be surprised if you're not up to doing anything.

Best wishes and s,

Lisa
Unread 12-12-2003, 03:11 PM

Hi, great question. I took books along thinking I would need something to do. When I tried to read it was like chasing words across the page so I gave it up. Must have been the meds because it was still like that for a few days after I got home. Everytime I turned the tv on some old lady in the next bed would turn hers on and turn it all the way up so I couldn't hear mine. She was a pain the whole time, up all night yelling for the nurses and making it impossible to watch tv so I just rested.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register