Update on Me | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-12-2003, 01:52 PM
Update on Me

I've been bad about visiting my dear sisters (for shame!) so I thought I'd post a little update on me. :-)

My new CA125 . . . is still "less than 6.3," which is cause for celebration! I am so happy that I'm holding so low. I freak out between tests, particularly if I go off my diet at all. (Yes, I am a geek.) So hearing that my number remains unchanged earlier today made me overjoyed.

I am still doing low-dose chemo three Mondays on and one Monday off. I am tolerating it very well, and I appreciate the extra insurance it's giving me. Maybe it's just peace of mind. I don't know.

I've modified my supplements per Dr. Wallace's recommendations and am still being pretty careful with my diet. I do fall off the chocolate wagon occasionally, but I'm trying to do "sugar-free chocolate" or "chocolate Soy Dream" or things like that. And I always balance it with a protein (usually almonds) to prevent the insulin spike. I also now get home delivery of copper-free water in glass bottles. My first delivery was today.

Dr. Wallace has had me take a lot of interesting tests, including Cortisol/DHEA, Estronex (2OH estrogen vs. 16OH estrogen ratio -- or "good" vs. "bad"), Oxidata (measure how your body processes antioxidants), basal thyroid (just an early morning underarm temperature), and Natural Killer Cell Activity. It's been an interesting process, and I've enjoyed learning more about how my body works. In areas where I need some help, we're working to change things with supplements. So . . . I'll keep everyone posted on how that's going.

I found a Wellness Community support group that is for young adults, so I've gone to that a few times. It's nice to be able to chat with people my own age. They all have different cancers (or had, or are fighting), but the issues they're dealing with are similar to mine.

A few weeks ago, I hosted a dinner for seven people with, who had or who are fighting ovarian cancer. My hope was that we would all share helpful information from our own respective research journeys. But of course, I ended up having the most to share. ;-)

Other than that, life is good! My hair is coming back (and is in bad need of some dye!) -- slowly, due to the low-dose chemo. But it is HAIR, and I am grateful for it. My business is going well. I love being alive.

A final thought:

My best friend's mom was killed in a car crash last week. When she got the call, her mom was in the hospital with bleeding on the brain. She was hysterical, so I decided to fly to Georgia with her. After three days, her mom was pronounced brain dead. It was so, so sad. Life is so precious, and it can be taken away so quicly. I realized how very lucky all of us here are to be alive. True, we've had some trials. But . . . we are ALIVE. And that is SUCH a blessing!

God blesses me for knowing all of YOU! And I thank you for being there! (And HAPPY BIRTHDAY AGAIN to Seashell!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2003, 02:43 PM
Update on Me

Yes, Siren, I have noticed that there weren't too many posts from you recently and am glad that you've decided to give us all an update. You sound great and it seems that your treatment is going well. How long will you continue this process?

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's mom. You're right. Life is so short and so precious and your world can be turned upside down in a heartbeat. (That's what happened to me and I'm sure to all of us here.)

I think sometimes that this is a blessing in disguise for us... I don't know about you but before I had my surgery and diagnosis, I had some pretty arrogant ideas about where my life was headed. I don't mean "arrogant" in a negative way, either... It's more like an assumption that nothing was going to happen to me or to anyone I loved. I look at things differently today. I'm grateful for all the wonderful people that God has put in my life. I cherish my friends and family on a deeper level. Not ready for sainthood yet, but things are different.

All the best to you, Siren.
Unread 12-12-2003, 03:49 PM
Update on Me

s SirenSong

You surely have been missed!!!
I am delighted that everything is going so well for you. It sounds like life is slowing becoming more normal.
I understand where you are coming from in regards to your friend's mom's tragic death.
I was in the middle of chemo when 9/11 occurred. And I realized fully how fortunate I was to still be here, alive and battling cancer. Those poor people left so much undone and unsaid.
We all have no excuse for not living fully today in words and deeds.

karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2003, 04:48 PM
Update on Me

Yes, let's celebrate and enjoy each day!

Siren Song, it is such good news re: your CA 125. And, what an empowering dinner that you hosted!

big "I love being alive", too! And, I have much to be grateful for; not the least, my wonderful hystersisters.
Unread 12-12-2003, 05:05 PM
SirenSong--good news!

That's GREAT! May the consolidation work to keep you NED for ages! I'm sorry about your friend's mother--we just don't know and bless you for flying there to be with her. I now appreciate each day and season so much more than I ever did.
Unread 12-12-2003, 06:21 PM
Update on Me

Siren,

Glad to hear that you are doing so well.

Maureenie said that our encounters with cancer can sometimes seem to be a blessing in disguise. Amen to that!

My cancer diagnosis in early 2000 was certainly a blessing, because it made me look at life and how I was living it--like a series of flaming hoops to be jumped through every day. I live so much differently now! True, my cancer didn't require chemo or radiation, but just the knowledge that the "C-word" was part of my diagnosis made me re-prioritize things radically, in a way that a lesser diagnosis wouldn't have. I'd still be living life on a speeding train if it wasn't for my cancer. So yes, hard as it is for others to understand, cancer can be a blessing! And I can't say that I wish it hadn't happened to me, because it brought new life!
And reading the posts of so many wonderful women on this website really inspires me--so much courage and affirmation of life!

Siren, may this be truly the beginning of the rest of your life!

Blessings.
Marlene
Unread 12-14-2003, 12:06 PM
Update on Me

Hey Siren
Glad to hear you are doing so well. I haven't been on this site too much myself the last couple of weeks due to a nasty cold, perhaps because I fell off my diet badly at Thanksgiving? But it was worth it......

I am so sorry about your friend's mother. From reading your posts, I know you to be someone with great compassion and understanding. Your friend is fortunate to have you at this sad and difficult time.

Many blessings and of course big s
Unread 12-15-2003, 02:27 PM
update on me

Dear SirenSong,
I am so glad to hear you are doing well. I am also on low-dose Taxol, and get it evey 21 days. It is great to see your post.
I have followed what you have said about diet and am trying to do better with mine(although this is the hardest season of the year for that). I am sorry to hear about your friend's mom. I agree with the above posts about appreciating each day. It is one of the most important things I have learned from going through my diagnosis with cancer this year.

Take care,

Twisted Sister

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register