my head is spinning!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

my head is spinning!!! my head is spinning!!!

Unread 12-12-2003, 04:16 PM
my head is spinning!!!

Hi Ladies,

I think I'm doing too much reading. My head is just spinning over all this stuff! Over the last year I've had 5 paps and 2 colpos. The first colpo and the 3 following paps just showed mild dysplasia and HPV. The last colpo and all 3 biopsied areas showed CIS of the cervix. Since it only took 5 1/2 months to get to that point, and whatever other reasons he gave me (my head was spinning at the consult too!), my doc says it's time for a TVH. I completely trust my doc, and I think I'm OK with it, but I am confused and scared. I have been on the web looking up exactly what CIS is, and I certainly don't want to take ANY chances with my health. I am 36 years young and have 4 small children. I have read lots of past threads about having all taken out, seeing a gyn/oncologist instead of a regular gyn... There is no history of ovarian cancer in my family, but there is of uterine cancer and a huge history of colon cancer (mom, 2 aunts, uncle, grandpa). I guess I'm being paranoid that something more will be found, or worse yet that doc will go in blindly and just take my uterus/cervix without checking anything else out. I have decided to wait until after the holidays to have it done, and everyone (except doc) is telling me I'm crazy and I should get it out now!! We're going "home" for the holidays and I think I need that more than anything at this point! Any advice/experience would be greatly appreciated - Let's see if my head can spin any faster!

Colleen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2003, 04:37 PM
my head is spinning!!!

I can understand how your head is spinning. Reading is good to help us ne informed, but there is a lot os scary confusing stuff too. It sounds things were caught at a very early stage for you.
If you are concerned with colon cancer could you have a colonoscopy to rule this out? You could also request a CT scan to rule cancer any where else. I am sure your dr is taking family history into consideration. Try to enjoy your holidays with your family, and not too worry too much.
Unread 12-13-2003, 04:49 AM
my head is spinning!!!

Welcome to Cancer Concerns!

You've been through a lot in this past year! And it can be especially difficult to be going through this when you have young children at home--they require so much attention that it's hard to focus on yourself when you need to (I was 37 and had 6 children ages 2-14 when I had mine).

Have you had a LEEP or cone biopsy? What were the results of that? The LEEP or cone are considered to enough treatment in 80-90% of cases of cervical dysplasia. Sometimes they are even able to treat very early stage cervical cancer with only a LEEP or cone (which involves removing the cells on the inside of the cervix--done outpatient). It appears to me from my reading that most docs do a LEEP or cone before doing a hysterectomy 1) because the cone/LEEP might treat the problem; and 2) because it's safer for the patient (meaning better long-term outcomes) if the doctor knows exactly what is in there and where it's at. A standard colpo/biopsy gives only a limited picture of what's going on.

I was diagnosed with CIS for the first time at age 23. I was treated with a cone and then had normal PAP's for 10 years. I had a recurrence and had cryotherapy (cryo is for abnormal cells on the OUTSIDE of the cervix), but then a few years later, had the LEEP and then TAH.

My own gyn did my TAH (I had been a patient of his for 16 years so I had great faith in him), but I still had a consultation done with a gyn/onc just to be sure we were going about things the right way. A hysterectomy is major surgery--explore your possible options before jumping in. Right now, at this very early stage, you very well may have some options. Please consider the referral to see a gyn/onc. They are the experts when it comes to female cancers and precancers and they are highly trained in the current treatment and surgical procedures.

As far as ovaries, well, it seems to be a matter of personal preference. My ovaries were healthy, and there was no history of ovarian cancer in my family, so I kept mine. Three years later, they are still working great!

I can understand why you would want to put things off for the holiday's, but please don't delay long. While cervical cancer is generally considered to be slow-growing, sometimes it moves quickly. You are still in a precancerous/noninvasive stage at CIS (some readings call it precancer, some call it stage 0 cancer--either way it's not invasive and that's what matters here, not the name that's used). This is a great time to call and make an appointment to get a second opinion. You may or may not get in before the holiday, but at least things are moving along to finding the best treatment method for you, be it TVH or something else. If you need a surgery or procedure done, that probably can't be scheduled until after the holiday anyway once you've had the second opinion.

Good luck, Colleen! Please let us know how things go!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register