Arthritis in pelvic region after hyst??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Arthritis in pelvic region after hyst??? Arthritis in pelvic region after hyst???

Unread 12-12-2003, 05:00 PM
Arthritis in pelvic region after hyst???

Has anyone else been told they could have arthritis in their pelvic area since hyst? Mine was more than three years ago and I have been getting this strange pain in my lower pelvic area. It is very painful when I get up from a seated position and sometimes the pain stays with me all day. My doc said it could be arthritis. I have had arthritis in my knees (from a fall), but never heard of it in this area.
Thanks for any light you can shed on this topic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2003, 05:46 PM

Linda,
It's good to see you , sorry it's because you're experiencing some pain issues though. I don't know anything about arthritis but you may want to check out the Resources Forum and see if there's any info there on pelvic arthritis.

Unread 12-13-2003, 06:48 AM

Hi ((((Linda))))) While it's great to see you again, I'm sorry that it's because you're having problems

I have developed what's been termed as "arthritic pain" (because none of the tests conclusively showed that it was arthritis that I was dealing with ) and, from all of the research I've done on the issue, it seems that it can develop anywhere where you have joints. I guess this would include the pelvic area. All I know is that, this Fall, I've had increasing problems with my hips and, while it could be the bursitis returning, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the arthritis rearing it's ugly head.

As your doctor recommended a course of action to either treat your pain or try and get a definitive diagnostic? I know that, in my case, Celebrex has been a pretty effective way of dealing with my pain.

Sending lots of s your way. Please keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2003, 10:18 AM
Recommended treatment denied by insurance

I was given two samples (2 tablets each) of Vioxx and Bextra by my Gyn. He told me to call my Primary Care Physician (PCP) to see which one he might prefer I take. My PCP recommended I take the Bextra because the Vioxx could raise my blood pressure. When I had my doc call in the prescription to the pharmacy, the pharmacy called me back, said my insurance did not approve the Bextra and did I still want it for $100 for 30 pills??? I told them not to fill it. Then I went out and bought some Aleve. It doesn't seem to give me any relief. What other medications help? I think I also need approval for Celebrex, but will check with my pharmacy. If it is covered, I will ask my doc to call in a prescription for that.
Thanks for the info, ladies.
Merry Christmas to all and a HEALTHY, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Unread 12-13-2003, 04:27 PM

Dear Linda,

I am so sorry you are in pain. I don't have arthritis in the pelvic region now (wrists, fingers, toes, elbows, ankle, knees, ears, jaw ...) but have, when I had a bout of acute rheumatic fever, horrible pain in my hips.

I take Celebrex for my chronic joint pain and it helps me a great deal more than ibuprofen at max doses, and is so much less irritating to my stomach. I find that, even though the stuff is marketed as a once a day medicine, if I take half as much twice a day, I have more consistent pain relief. I also find that to take as much as I really need to help the pain subside, I end up at maximum doses (400mg/day) and that is too much to do regularly without causing alot of stomach irritation (the pharmacist even said to back off of that -- it does require a prescription, too), so I just do that when I am having a major flare up, and manage with tylenol other pain relievers that are not anti-inflammatories. Please don't allow yourself to suffer. The pain of chronic arthritis can really erode away at your quality of life. Why was the Bextra prescription denied to you?

Depending on the kind of arthritis you have, gentle stretching really helps -- I take an arthritis pool exercise class, and it has realize the effects (maybe a month or more to build up flexibility and strength), but you might ask if something like this is available in your area. My class is given through the local hospital, the water is warm, the exercise very gentle, taught by a physical therapist or nurse, and requires a doctor's prescription. All of the people in the class swear by it -- some say they would have ceased moving by now without it, and they are so active they put me, 30 years their junior, to shame!

Good luck to you! Please let us know how you are doing.
With love and light,
Loretta
Unread 12-13-2003, 07:35 PM

Oh ((((Linda))))) I'm so sorry you insurance denied the Bextra What about Vioxx? Would they approve that? Celebrex, as (((Loretta)))) mentionned, also requires a prescription. I pay 72$ canadian for 90 100 mgs pills. My prescription is for 200 mgs in the evening and 100 mgs in the morning, as required. Most of the time, I will only take one dose of 100 mgs, in the evening. However, during major flareups, I will take the full prescribed dosage: not only will break through the pain, the morning dose will also prevent breakthrough pain during the day.

Before the Celebrex, I tried Mobicox, but found that it both caused major side effects (nausea and made me loopy and I couldn't function, because I was sooooo sleepy) and that the breakthrough pain was simply unbearable and, because of the side effects, I couldn't even think about increasing the dosage.

BTW, before getting the prescription meds, I did try OTC meds and found that it didn't even touch the pain. And that including anti-inflamatories, such as Extra Strength Entrophen.

Please, sweeetie, do not suffer in vain: do contact your doctor and try to get a prescription that your insurance will approve. They might simply want you to start with a less expensive product

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register