Johanna's Law Makes Progress In House | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Johanna's Law Makes Progress In House Johanna's Law Makes Progress In House

Unread 12-13-2003, 03:18 PM
Johanna's Law Makes Progress In House

Hello, Everyone--

I thought you might be interested to know that Johanna's Law, the Gynecologic Cancer Education and Awareness Act of 2003, is gaining support in the House of Representatives. So far 54 Congressmen and women have signed on as cosponsors of the Bill. On November 12th, I wrote a detailed, five-page letter, with exhibits, to my Congressman, Christopher Smith, asking him not only to cosponsor the Bill, but also to make language changes that I believe will strengthen the proposed legislation's ability to accomplish its stated goal of saving the lives of women with or at risk for gynecologic cancer. And on December 8th, Congressman Smith signed on as one of 4 additional cosponsors!! I'm not sure what the status is of my suggested language changes to the proposed legislation, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

For those of you who haven't contacted your Representatives in Congress to ask them to support the Bill, please consider doing so. They DO listen, and a letter from a gynecologic cancer survivor about proposed gynecologic cancer legislation sends a powerful message. If you want to find out if your representative in Congress has supported the bill, go to www.congress.gov and type in "HR 3438" (under Bill number) or type in "Johanna's Law" in the word search. Click on "Bill Summary and Status" at the top, and it will take you to an alphabetical listing of all 54 of the current supporters.

It is especially crucial that those of you who believe your cancer diagnoses were delayed due to lack of knowledge or information about gynecologic cancers, either on your part or on your doctor's part, or both, speak out in favor of this proposed legislation so that other women will not have similar delays in obtaining timely diagnoses, and that all women in the future are assured of obtaining timely, high-quality care from gynecologic oncologists.

Best regards,

MoeKay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2003, 03:44 PM

Yay!

I have also contacted my congressperson, although I opted to call, rather than write a letter.

There is also a form letter available through www.sgo.org (Society of Gynecologic Oncologists) for anyone who doesn't have the time/energy/whatever to write their own letter.
Unread 12-13-2003, 04:00 PM

Thank you so much Hammi, it was so easy to send the letter via the site you provided. I did not have cancer but have seen one friend that the cancer cells were missed on her yearly pap smear. They were found this year. It is horrible that such things can happen. I am praying the cancer hasn't spread too much. Thanks so much for this and I urge all the sisters to send the email to the representives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2003, 05:38 PM

If you feel so inclined, you could also encourage your friends and family to contact their representatives as well. My mom is a nurse, and will be contacting hers, and several friends in multiple states...

The more, the merrier!
Unread 12-13-2003, 07:34 PM

s MoeKay

My own rep in NJ, Lobiondo, signed on last month. I phoned as well. If you call your reps office, ask to speak with their legislative health aide. Of course the congressman should be your first request, but that is rarely granted. I have found the health aides to be quite helpful.

oxox karenann

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register