Gastroscopy Done Today | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Gastroscopy Done Today Gastroscopy Done Today

Unread 12-15-2003, 04:26 PM
Gastroscopy Done Today

Well I had the Gastroscopy done this morning. The gastro doctor said that he thinks that I might have Barrett's Esophagus along with a hienal hernia. He also said that my lower esophagus was inflamed along with inflamation in my stumach. He took biopsies of my lower esophagus and of my stumach. They said that they will have the results in of the biopsies in one week that I could call back for the results and that I am to follow up with the doctor in 4 weeks. They also put me on Prilosac for heartburn.

I was supprised that they found inflimation. I have been dealing with heartburn problems since I was about 19. I almost canceled this test because I did not think it was nessasary because it only bothers me a few times a week. But DH and my mom insisted that I have it done. My mom has heinal hernia and has had surgery 2x for it.

The doctor stated to my DH to watch what I eat. But most of the foods he said to limit or not to eat I don't allready. I have been doing so for years because I know it makes me sick. Hopefully the medication will be all I need.

Anyone out there with heartburn problems... Will the hernia get smaller or go away with the meds? (DH asked me this when we got home.) Does anyone know much info on Barrett's? The doctor did not go over to much with me because of the

Sweety Tweety
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2003, 05:34 PM
Gastroscopy Done Today

I've had heartburn problems for years and did nothing about it. My doc recently put me on prevacid and it has really done the trick. I've only had problems since when I'm taking medications of other sorts, such as when I was in the hospital for my TAH and while doing a chemo cycle. I may end up having it checked out further but I've got enough on my plate for the moment dealing with the endo cancer.

Good luck with getting your problem solved.

Limbo
Unread 12-16-2003, 09:54 PM
Gastroscopy Done Today

Hi Sweety.......

I had an endoscopy done about a year ago...(is that the same as a Gastoscopy?) where they put the camera down your throat and look at your esophagus, stomach and upper part of small intestine.

I was also diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. My gastro Dr said that roughly 70% of adults have a hiatal hernia to some degree, for some it causes problems and for others it doesn't.. For me, I've never had a problem and only get heartburn on occasion.

I don't know anything about Barrett's but I thought you'd like to know that my Dr suggested seeing a Chiropractor for the hernia. Sounds strange huh? That's what I thought too. But many times, manipulation of the spine, getting it in better alignment, will improve your posture and allow the hernia (part of the stomach that has moved up too high) to relax back down where it belongs. I actually looked it up online and there are Chiropractors who specialize in doing this. I didn't bookmark the pages or I would pass them on to you.

Good Luck.

Dawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2003, 11:30 AM
Gastroscopy Done Today

I've had heartburn for years and had two endoscopies in a row where the doctor thought I had Barrett's but the biopsies were negative. In Barrett's esophagus, your esophagus responds to years of attack by stomach acid by allowing its cells to change from esophageal-type cells to cells more like those lining the intestines. If you are diagnosed with Barrett's, you have to be scoped regularly (every year or two) to make sure that the cells don't show further signs of changes that could be cancerous.

The Prilosec doesn't fix the hernia. If you have weight problems, losing weight can reduce the reflux. Smal meals and looser waistbands also help--anything that reduces pressure on your tummy. But you've probably learned all that through trial and error.

What Prilosec does is drastically reduce the stomach acid you produce so the stuff that gets in your esophagus isn't as acidy and irritating. Because my stomach and esophagus were so inflamed, the gastroenterologist also put me on Carafate, a stomch-coating medicine, to allow my stomach to heal. I had backaches on it, but after a month of that stuff, my stomach felt better than it had in years, and I was able to discontinue it at that point.

Good luck with your tests and treatment. Barrett's sounds scary, but there's a lot of distance between the cellular changes of Barrett's, the cellular changes of what is called dysplasia, and cancer. And, as I mentioned, I looked like I had Barrett's but didn't. Still, be sure to follow any instructions you get about followup.
Unread 12-17-2003, 06:46 PM
Gastroscopy Done Today

Hernias don't go away or get better by themselves. They may or may not give you a problem. As you know from the experience of your mother, it's possible that a hiatal hernia can be treated by surgery but many people have this type of hernia and never have surgery. You may find that sleeping in a slightly inclined position helps and also staying in an upright position for awhile after eating could make a difference. It may be that your medication will keep things in check and you won't have any more problems. Let's hope for that!!
Unread 12-17-2003, 06:55 PM
Gastroscopy Done Today

Ladies,

Thank you for all the advice. I will be having a follow up with the doctor in about 3 to 4 weeks. The nurse said I can call on Monday to get the results of the biopsy. I have done little things over the years to try to help with the heartburn. Like sleeping with my head higher. DH and I use to drive truck and he would always park at a slant so that my head was higher to try to help with the heart burn. When it is really bad I sleep on the sofa or the chair (sitting up) along with my bottle of tums. I try to watch what I eat because I know certian foods make me sick, but some days I swear a peice of toast will give me heartburn and some days pizza or spicy food does not bother me.

I am going to ask my doctor if the Chiopractor if it would help. Our health insurance does not charge for Chiopratic services so if it will help I will give it a shot.

I will keep you all updated as to what I find out when I get the biopsies back. I don't remeber much what the doctor said after the procedure, but DH said that he told him that I will have to have this done every 2 years and that I will be on this medication for a long time. So hopefully the meds will help with the problem.

Sweety Tweety
Unread 12-17-2003, 07:52 PM
Hi Sweety..............

I pluggedinto Google and this is what I got:

Web Sites for "Chiropractic adjustments of hiatal hernias "

Search Results by

JLS Educational Services & Joyful Living Services' Chiropractic ...
... Our goal is to find a Chiropractor in every state and every country in the world
who can adjust hiatal hernias so everyone can receive adjustments if they ...
http://www.joyfullivingservices.com/...errallist.html
Hiatal Hernia
... They have to be learned through demonstration and practice. For a chiropractor in
your area who knows how to adjust hiatal hernias, click here. Self-Adjustment. ...
www.joyfullivingservices.com/hiatalhernia.html

If you decide to try it...let me know how it goes for you. Like I said......my HH really doesn't bother me but if it ever does, I'm sure I will look into something like this before I consider surgery.

Dawn
Unread 12-18-2003, 04:41 PM
Gastroscopy Done Today

HI, JUST THOUGHT I WOULD ADD MY 'CENTS' WORTH .I HAVE HAD STOMACH PROBLEMS FOR YEARS .BEING OVERWEIGHT DOES NOT HELP .IT ALL STARTED AFTER MY GALL BLADDER WAS REMOVED [ALSO THE WEIGHT] . ESTROGEN AND PROGESTERONE REALLY SEEMS TO IRRATE THE STOMACH .I WAS ON LOSEC FOR YEARS WITH VERY LITTLE HELP .BUT MY DOC HAS GIVEN ME A BRAND NEW TABLET WHICH SEEMS TO BE VERY EFFECTIVE . NEXIUN ESOMEPRAZOLE 40MG. IT EVEN SEEMS TO CURB THE HUNGER . I AM NOT SURE WHETHER THIS IS AVAILABLE IN AMERICA BUT WORTH A TRY .
Unread 12-20-2003, 11:18 AM
Gastroscopy Done Today

((Sweety Tweety)),
I'm sorry to hear you have yet another complication to contend with I've also suffered from Heartburn since my Teenage yrs Mine is now Acid reflux..I've been using Prilosec for about 4 yrs w/good results! I do have to take it 2x's a day <it is marketed as a once daily med but if I dont take it twice I find the symptoms returning.
I dont know that much about the Hiatal Hernia but I did find a few very informative links that may be of some help:

What is the Heartburn? What causes it?

Medinfo: Heartburn?

http://www.medinfo.co.uk/
conditions/heartburn.html

Help for sufferers of Heartburn

Digestive Center

Good Luck in finding some answers & relief Pls keep us posted & let us know how your doing........((((hugs))))

(((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))
Unread 12-29-2003, 02:33 PM
Gastroscopy Done Today

Thank you very much for these links. I have not had a chance to look at all of them but I did look at a few of them and found the information to be very helpful.

I did receive a call from the Gastro nurse saying that yes I do have Barrett's and that I will have to be scoped every 2 years. She said that the Gastro will discuss this more with me when I see him towards the end of January.

I am also going to ask him at that time if a Chiropractor would help. The Prilosac seems to be helping but there are days that I still have heartburn even taking the medication. My Mom says that maybe they need to up the med. I'm just trying to give the medication some time. I will ask the Gastro when I see him if I am still having problems.

This has all just been a lot to adjust to... IBS, Lactose Intolreance, and now this. I am learning that I have to be very carefull what I eat. Christmas Eve I felt so crappy. I think it was just the varrieties of food. Even last night I got sick. We where at my mom's and I eat a small piece of chicken cornon blue (scrapped the cheese off) and found my self in the bathroom with horrible stumach cramps and diarhea. It is just so hard to know what to or not to eat. I won't even order food with the girls at work because I don't know what is in it and if I will get sick. DH and I are saving money because we are rarely going out for dinner now. How have other dealt with a sensitive stomach and food? How do you handle eating going out for dinner or eating at someone else's house?

Sweety Tweety

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register