Age when diagnosed with Cervical Cancer? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Age when diagnosed with Cervical Cancer? Age when diagnosed with Cervical Cancer?

Unread 12-18-2003, 12:17 AM
Age when diagnosed with Cervical Cancer?

I was diagnosed at 46, in fact I got my pathology report 6 weeks ago today and my TAH just over 3 weeks ago. 3 years ago I had my first abnormal pap smear but my pap smear with my gyno this last September was mild. Since my medical doctor had gotten a severe reading on my smear in July, my gyno first recommended laser until I reminded him that I had had 2 laser surgeries already. He then opted for the hyst but I couldn't reconcile that big of a leap in treatment so had a cone biopsy and d&c in October. I think my gyno was shocked by the pathology results since everything moved so fast once he found out the cancer was there. Glad he took serious my general practitioners reading. Had he gone by his reading, the cancer would still be undiagnosed and have a chance to move up from the early stages at which it was caught.

Goes to show though that the readings can differ greatly depending on how and where on the cervix the doctor takes the swab. The surface (ecto) reading was still mild in the pathology report except for in the "deep marginal ectocervical folds" and yet the endocervical carcinoma was widespread. Reading since my surgery helped me understand that it takes a punch biopsy, at minimum to diagnose endocervical as the pap reading can be clear or mild and the cancer can be there.

What angers me though is the fact that most of you, most of us as women, almost have to defend our cervical cancer by stressing the amount of partners we have had.

Even if HPV is a factor, it can be dormant for 20 years or more without showing signs according to my doctor. Also, its presence may have nothing to do with our own personal number of partners. From one thing I read, stress seems to be a highly contributive factor in whether or not HPV ends up causing problems too. Stress can also effect our bodies resources for recovery. We don't need the added stress of feeling the need to defend our dianosis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2003, 08:46 AM

Hopeseeker,

I totally agree with your points. HPV and cervical abnormalities are nothing to be ashamed of! It only takes on partner and one encounter to contract HPV. Some researchers estimate that up to 70% of the population has one form or another of HPV. Some of us just have the other "mystery factors" that result in cancer.

Beth
Unread 12-18-2003, 10:36 AM

I was 35 had been with the same man for over 10 years and had never had an abormal pap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2003, 05:34 PM

I was 32 years old and was diagnosed the day I gave birth to my daughter.
Unread 12-19-2003, 10:55 AM

Thank you Hopeseeker,
I have just turned 31, and have just been diagnosed with AIS, I go for a leep cone Dec 23 for further diagnosis and treatment. I also had never had an abnormal pap.
I too have gone through the whole, WHY ME thing, relating to HPV. Unlike the women who have been married for many years. I have been with my DH for only 5 years, prior to meeting the love of my life I was not promiscuous but I had a few experiences. I have spent many nights feeling like this was my fault for having poor judgement. I have even gone so far as too feel that I am not good enough for my husband, that because of this (AIS) I may not be able to give him children. It even took me about a week after we had my diagnosis to tell him what the major cause of cervical dysplasia and cancer is. Thank goodness my DH is so supportive, he feels it just doesn't matter where it came from or what caused it. Bless his heart, he even had the insight ( which I lacked at that time) to suggest that maybe it came from him.
I found it difficult to read the risk factors for cervical cancer because most of them are lifestyle suggestions ie - smoking, multiple partners etc... it is hard not to read them and think - that isn't me, I don't smoke, I have one partner. Nobody wants to hear that they may be the cause of their own illness. I do not know if HPV is the cause for my dysplasia, I have not been tested as some of ladies here have mentioned. When I asked my MD about it he said that it is thought that all cervical dyplasias/cancers are caused by HPV. Another MD said that it shows up on pap smears? I have not had those reults given to me. I do not know what part family history plays. I have 7 relatives on my mothers side who have had or died of some sort of cancer, I feel that my genetics are not rigged well to fighting abnormal cells as well. I do not know how true that may be though. Thank you for saying that we do not have to justify our diagnosis. It will take me a while to fully reach that point - I still have feelings of guilt and the why me's but I will get there.
Merry Christmas
Unread 12-19-2003, 06:46 PM

black cat,

I feel with you because I went through the same struggle when I was told shortly over a year ago about HPV. It does take time, but it does get better. Thank you for not leaving me out on a limb on here. I felt a bit alone in admitting I did have HPV but since I took the time to learn about the virus itself, not just my cancer, I found how common place it is believed it is and that it is not tested for unless something like this comes up so mainly is talked about in relationship to women.

I am glad I found this thread. It showed me I am not alone in feeling defensive about my diagnosis. Thanks for the honesty of the struggle that came through in so many of the replies.
Unread 12-19-2003, 11:05 PM

I was 32 When diagnosed with Squamous Cell Cervical Cancer Stage 1a1. I had had abnormal paps the three previous years. 2 Biopsies, and one LEEP. I was with my first husband for 11 years. I do believe that I contracted HPV from him before we were married because I did get Veneral Warts from him and I understand that sometimes has something to do with it. The sad part is all of the people he went on to give it to after we divorced. His wife of two years has already had her first abnormal pap and colposcopy with biopsy.
Looking forward to a Healthy 2004!
Merry Christmas to all!
Unread 12-20-2003, 07:50 AM
freturning to the intended purpose of this thread

I have an idea to get this back to its original intent of collecting the age women were diagnosed with cervical cancer.

I am going to start a new thread for any of us that need or want to deal with the feelings of guilt and defensiveness about the factors informational sources contribute to our area of cancer. That way this thread can get back to its intended purpose of collecting info. I know I may be out on a limb in it since this seems to be a painful and hard to discuss issue for a lot of women dealing with this. For those who know HPV was present, just remember that only about 3% of the women who contract HPV get cancer and men can't really be tested for it because the thickness of the skin there doesn't give accurate samples. It is such a prevalent virus and so difficult to trace to its origin that no partner should bame the other or carry the guilt of this concer. It is difficult reading the information written about cervical cancers. I wish there was a way to "make it all better". But whatever they say about it, what we understand here is that many women come to this cancer without warning and without fitting all the risk factors. The point is, don't blame yourself or your partner -- the statistics say it isn't worth it. And heal -- both physically -- and emotionally from the "wounds" of having this kind of cancer.

Peace to you all.
Unread 12-24-2003, 06:58 AM
age when diagnosed

hey Liz..I was 21 when first diagnosed with cervical cancer...had laser surgery done..they took 2/3 of my cervix...because i wanted children..now remember this was 20 years ago and it was considered experimental then....have two bratlets<one of each kind>...and have had problems thru the rest of my twenty years...finally ended up with adenocarcinoma of uterus/bowel lining...not to scare you or anything..but if they recommend taking it out..let them..had 6 hours worth of laproscopic surgery 6 years ago..begged my old gyn to take everything out!.Knew I couldn't have anymore children<had 3 misses after son....and he wouldn't..if he had , i wouldn't be inthe position I am now.... be an advocate for yourself..read all the info you can..get other opinions..and make sure your doc does what YOU decide.... I learned this the hard way..altho I'm very grateful to have my darling brats..they're b13/d16...
shzoo
Unread 12-26-2003, 11:59 AM

My first diagnosis were not cancer, but dysplasia. This started in 1999 at age 37. I was going through a VERY stressful (2-yr long) divorce. After many procedures - colposcopies, cone biopsy, LEEP's (repeated), I had a TVH last July.

I had CIS - stage 0. My margins were clear after my hysterectomy, but my last check-up showed irregularities again.

I had been with the same man for almost 20 years, but had recently started a new relationship - now my husband. My first bad Pap was several months into my new relationship. I'll never know for certain if the HPV came from my ex or my new husband - it doesn't really matter.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register