Back on The Chemo Track - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back on The Chemo Track Back on The Chemo Track

Unread 12-20-2003, 03:41 PM
Back on The Chemo Track

Hi Laura,,

Chemo is not exactly wonderful but it definately is doable. For ovarian cancer I had 6 treatments of taxol and carboplatin. It was one treatment every 3 weeks. I did have a reaction to the taxol during my first treatment and it never happened again.

As for the hair falling out, I guess everyone is different, but I did not actually have "the big fallout" until a week and a half after my SECOND
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2003, 03:45 PM
Back on The Chemo Track

to continue... I do not know what just happened.

treatment. The wigs today are wonderful and if done properly and worn at the proper time, your daughter will not know.

I am a Pre-K teacher and the first time I wore my wig to work one little girl said to me, "Miss Rosalie, you got a haircut and I don't really like it". To me that meant everything. Everyone just thought that I styled my hair differently although my wig was my style and hair color.

If you need any more info, just yell.

Rosalie
Unread 12-20-2003, 04:11 PM
Back on The Chemo Track

Hi Laura,
I, too, just completed 4 carboplatin and taxol treatments. The nurse told me to expect for my hair to begin to thin on the 12th day following the treatment. By the 13th day it was coming out by the handful. In four days or so it was "paper thin." I am left after 4 treatments with a very light bit of hair...couldn't bare to shave it off...some hair beats no hair for me! My eyelashes and eyebrows have gotten thin and my legs haven't been shaved for over 2 months...that's not all bad!!
Like another person responded, my head gets cold so I wear a little hat around the house. Also, I have been given so many compliments on my wig...one little old lady actually asked me at a dr. office to let her know who did my hair. She was looking for a cut just like it...I referred her to the local wig shop and later got a big laugh out of it! Remember, keep a sense of humor. It takes less energy to laugh than to cry and it makes you feel so much better. I am a kindergarten teacher. I have been writing my kids notes and telling them that my hair will look different when they see me. I plan to be open with them about my wig, etc. It will be just easier for me in the long run to be up front with them!
Take care and best wishes.
NDB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2003, 12:33 PM
Back on The Chemo Track

Thank you much Ladies!
Yes this is a great web-site. I found it on a search for "hysterectomies". I've not been anywhere else since. After my dx of cancer I've been to the cancer web-sites, but there isn't a place (I've found) to talk to other women in the same situation.
Everyone have a Happy Holiday!

Laura

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register