Holiday Eating | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Holiday Eating Holiday Eating

Unread 12-19-2003, 09:11 AM
Holiday Eating

Happy Holidays to All!

Food is one of the great pleasures in life. And now the holidays are here with all the wonderful food. However, through trial and error!, I now accept the fact that I can no longer tolerate sweet things. Though the Keebler's chocolate chip cookies were soft and chocolatey and gorgeous, while I still love sweet things, they no longer agree with me. I have finally been conditioned. (I realised last year, when I had just under a third of my stomach removed - due to a metastasis of ovca, and I have finally accepted it). I spent a lot of time in that hospital, though, looking at pictures of recipes, and thinking that I would eat "that, that, and that" when I got out.

However, last Sunday, I did go to a Christmas brunch at a hotel here, and I did find that the Gingerbread men were not too, too sweet. So, I had two.

But, I will have to consciously tell myself this upcoming week when faced with all the Christmas sweets and Yuletide Logs, that one of the reasons that I have felt pretty good recently is that I have not been eating things like that. But, I have little will power - so any suggestions please?!

s to all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2003, 09:34 AM
Holiday Eating

Happy holidays to you, too!

Little tastes of EVERYTHING you wish is the way to go! I see no reason to deprive yourself, just don't overdo it at any one time.

Dorrie
Unread 12-19-2003, 10:26 AM
Holiday Eating

Dear Wild Rose,
I too am finding the holidays tough, especially since last year I was going through chemo during Thanksgiving and Christmas and was able to tolerate only the blandest foods. This year I promised myself I'd celebrate big time, but I've already learned my lesson the hard way!

You may recall that in September I did a 28 day cleanse, and then have been on a diet eliminating dairy, sugar and wheat. At Thanksgiving dinner I was having such a good time, I threw caution to the wind and just ate and drank anything and everything. It was great going down, but I had terrible indigestion for a couple of days, and came down with a nasty cold to boot.

So with Christmas looming, I am not denying myself, but just eating goodies in moderation. I was helping a friend bake cookies yesterday, and I did sample a couple, but then I went home and had a plate of veggies and drank lots of water! I have told myself no more sweets until Christmas, and then to choose carefully. I also remind myself how awful I felt when I overindulged before.

So my friend, you have a gingerbread man or two - besides, ginger is good for digestion, and a slice of Yule Log too. Just don't over do!

A very Merry Christmas to you, and the best in the New Year.

Holiday s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2003, 01:47 PM
Holiday Eating

Moonflower --

You are just like me! When I have something sweet, I have to follow it with some sort of raw vegetable or green drink or something like that.

Wild Rose --

I'm also starting to find that I do a lot better without sugar. Even my "little bit every other day" notion is not working out as well as I'd hoped. I honestly feel better when I don't have sugar. I know that I will have a slide of pie at Christmas dinner (which I'm hosting for around 15 people), and I will make my peace with that. But my little chocolate indulgences aren't making me feel all that sparkly. So I suppose I should taper those off, even though they are such a joy.

For the big day, get a hormone-free turkey and maybe have poached salmon as an option. Stuffing isn't so bad if you buy the health food kind. Mashed potatoes can be made with soy milk and soy butter. Green bean casserole is, well, green bean casserole. You can add broccoli or squash, but they can be fresh steamed without sauce. Skip the cranberry sauce, or just have a little. It's just one or two days. You should enjoy yourself.

I think the key with sweet stuff is to always balance it with a protein to avoid an insulin spike. So . . . have your pie, but then have a few bites of turkey or whatever. :-) (No, ice cream does not count as a "protein.")

Random Aside --

I'm think I'm going to take a few days off from the vitamins. I added a few new ones, and I think my body is revolting. I haven't felt as well for the past two days, so I think I'm just going to give myself a break. I have a weird pain in my right back area that started two days ago when I changed certain supplements, so I want that to go away.

I think I'm going to do a colon cleanse right after the holiday.

s!
Unread 12-19-2003, 05:00 PM
Holiday Eating

Good advice, Dorrie, Just a little sample of almost everything. And I will need to consciously remember why when I am doing this. But, I know that I am going to buy a Sara Lee carrot cake, and I know that every time I pass by the fridge, it will be calling my name.

And, Moonflower and Siren Song, about the balancing - it's cooked carrots that really work for me. Moonflower, thanks for telling me that ginger is good for digestion.

Siren Song, I hope that you feel better real fast, and you are smart to connect it - maybe - to the new supplements.
Unread 12-19-2003, 06:56 PM
Holiday Eating

Recently, I read in a magazine, that if, at this time of the year, we can just maintain weight instead of trying to loose, you will be a winner.

We have all come sooo far and have gone through soo much, sooo enjoy the holidays in whatever way makes you happy.

Happy Holidays to all.

Rosalie
Unread 12-21-2003, 03:56 PM
Holiday Eating

Hi again Wild Rose,
About ginger - not only does it aid digestion, help with nausea (my mom always gave me gingerale for upset stomach), and is great for colds, it may also have tumor inhibiting properties. There are studies being done that show quite promising results.

It is one of my favorite spices, so it makes me happy to know that I can freely enjoy its taste and am also benefiting from its medicinal qualities. I have two or three cups a day, especially after a meal. During chemo I drank it constantly for nausea.

You can usually find it in tea bags, but you can also use the fresh root. Just slice or grate it and simmer in hot water for about 15-20 minutes, then strain. You can drink it straight, or add a squeeze of lemon and/or a little honey and voila! And your kitchen will smell great as well. Don't forget to cook with it either. I seem to recall seeing recipes for gingered carrots!

SirenSong --- I wonder if we are deluding ourselves eating veggies after a sugar splurge?? I think with me it is sheer guilt! LOL.

Take care

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register