Antidepressants Question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Antidepressants Question Antidepressants Question

Unread 12-19-2003, 02:39 PM
Antidepressants Question

Hi Sisters,

Has anyone here taken the antidepressant, Wellbutrin?
Saw my rad/onc today and he wrote a prescription for it. It seemed to be the best way to cover two problems....my constant weepiness and to finally get rid of these last 5 cigs a day problem.

I will start taking it tomorrow. They are 100 mg, twice a day for the first 7 days and then three times a day thereafter.

Hey.......only 9 more rad treatments to go!!!!!

Nancy j.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2003, 04:39 PM
Antidepressants Question

I tried Wellbutrin a couple of years ago....I couldn't tolerate it. I found it made me feel somewhat aggressive (I am not typically that way at all)...but the insomnia was the worst part. I would toss and turn. I felt like I had jumping beans in my body.....Now for the good side effects. I lost weight while on it and can also have a positive effect on libido.
This was my experience but I have talked to others that loved it.
Unread 12-19-2003, 04:59 PM
Everyone Reacts Differently

and if you don't note any changes after giving Welbutrin a try, or if you have some serious problems, let your Dr. know so another medication can be tried. I've been on Celexa for some time--right now it's starting not to work so it'll be a subject addressed in January. Once you get the right drug, which can take a couple tries, it can be very helpful .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2003, 01:38 PM
wellbutrin

Hi Nancy,

Hope all is well with you. I was on Welbutrin for over a year and felt it worked well for me. I was trying to deal with a 30 yr. smoking habit before i found out i had cancer. After the dx and the same day I went in for surgery I quit. The wellbutrin helped alot as did using those nicotine patches.... plus I was out of my normal routine..and healing from surgery.

Haven't had a cig in 10 months and there are days it really feels good and then there are those days where i could jump someone walking by with a cig and grab it out of there lips !!!!!

after a yr. plus on welllbutrin I felt I wasn't getting the full benefit and my gyn
switched me to an antidepressant called lexapro..only been a week and it seems to be working time will tell.

Hope your last rad. treatments go well and your side effects are minimal.I wish you easy going with the ciggarette stuff. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers .
Unread 12-20-2003, 04:57 PM
Antidepressants Question

Thank you gals for telling about your experiences with the Welbutrin.
I still haven't taken the first one yet!LOL I'm such a chicken. It just sounds like awful big dosages to me. the pills are 100 mg. Suppose to take two a day for first seven days and then 3 a day thereafter. 300 mg. total?

You don't suppose that is a mistake, do you?
I had one of my other prescriptions with a mistake on it a few weeks ago.

Any input on your dosage would be great, thanks!

nancy j
Unread 12-21-2003, 07:30 AM
Antidepressants Question

I have been taking Wellbutrin SR since June of this year. My doctor thinks my depression is common after major surgery and that it is due to the trauma of surgery and the trauma of the drastic hormonal changes. I have been doing well on it. I take 150mg twice a day. I take 300mg a day in 2 doses rather than the 3 you are prescribed, so the dosage sounds ok. It did take about 3 weeks to notice a definite change. I think the benefits peak about 6-10 weeks if I remember right.

Hope it works for you! Good luck!
Unread 12-21-2003, 09:28 AM
Antidepressants Question

I've taken Wellbutrin for five years. There was an adjustment period. I also found that a very low dose works best for me --100 mg a day. For me with my metabolism that turned out to be a therapeutic dose with fewer side effects. But the standard therapeutic dose is anywhere from 300 mg to 400 mg in standard tests. So, it's not a large dose. You might however want to start with 100 and then edge upward because most people on any antidepressant experience an adjustment period.

It is trial and error finding the AD that works for you. An SSRI was a nightmare for me while this has been just the ticket.

The advantages of Wellbutrin for most but not all users are no loss of sexual desire/response, less chance of weight gain (something the SSRIs are notorious for)--in fact they are testing it as an aid to weight loss by lowering cravings, and of course, the aid with smoking (which works because cigarettes/nicotine are addictive because of the stimulation of dopamine in the brain and wellbutrin is a dopamine reuptake inhibitor). It's also an experiment in brain chemistry. Depression is a complex disorder so it might be that serotonin is more needed for some while dopamine is more needed by others.

It's a worth a try!

Unread 12-21-2003, 09:30 AM
Antidepressants Question

I should add that I suffer from lifelong severe clinical depression. Someone whose problem doesn't predate surgery probably won't have to be on it for a long period as I do.

Also exercise is the strongest anti-depressant in a number of trials comparing approaches. So don't neglect the obvious either.

Unread 12-22-2003, 03:29 PM
Antidepressants Question

I had an absolute inability to have orgasms while on the SSRI type of anti-depressant; now I've been on the same dose of Welbutrin as (((Trish))), which is 1/2 - 1/3 the normal dose, and I'm very happy with the effects. A nice little side benefit for me is that it helps with the nerve pain from severe neck disc problems.

And the libido thing is great -- best it's been for me in years...

Audrey
Unread 12-23-2003, 07:06 AM
Antidepressants Question

Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences with the Wellbutrin!
I have decided to not take it. I am having a problem maintaining weight. Eight more radiation treatments to go and I am down to 103. i will see what my bloodcounts were from yesterday when I go for treatment today. They have been getting consistently lower.
Christmas will be spent alone with Hubby as my white cell count is too far down to risk being around my grandkids.
Perhaps the doctor will suggest a different type of antidepressant that won't interfer with my eating (forcing myself to eat now.)
Thanks so much!
nancy j

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register