colonoscopy for christmas | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

colonoscopy for christmas colonoscopy for christmas

Unread 12-19-2003, 09:22 PM
colonoscopy for christmas

My Dr's office called today and said the doctor has ordered a colonoscopy type procedure for me the day after christmas that will remove scar tissue and dilate the place where my colon was reconnected. Hopefully this will get rid of the pain and bowel problems. The nurse said i have to dring 4 liters of the colyte stuff beginning at 4 PM on Christmas Day. I had to dring that once before and it made me throw up and now with the bowel problems I will have to just sit in the bathroom to avoid accidents until everything is cleaned out.
Have any of you been thru this and is there any other way. I would rather clean my colon by staving for the next 6 days then drinkling that nasty stuff,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2003, 09:47 PM

Oh (((Debbie))) I'm so sorry, what a way to have to spend your Christmas day! Does the colonoscopy absolutely have to be the day after Christmas?

Unfortunately, the prep is a critical part of the colonoscopy... if everything isn't 'squeaky clean', they will not be able to see well in there, plus there is a risk of infection should there be an (extremely unlikely) mishap with the camera. Some DRs will allow you to choose a different prep as long as it's one they approve of. Have you tried calling and asking to speak with the DR (not the nurse) about the prep, to see if there is an alternative? For mine I had to do the Fleet Phospho Soda ... and for my colon surgery I had to do that same Fleet Phospho Soda, but for TWO DAYS prior, with only clear liquids in addition. The Fleet doesn't make me nauseous but it does tend to dehydrate me. Have you tried that one?

Good luck with the colonoscopy... the prep truly is the worst part, especially if you are sedated as I was (Versed is just the best! ). I hope it gives your DRs the information they need.

s,
-Linda
Unread 12-19-2003, 11:34 PM

s Debbie

Does it have to be the day after Christmas????
You have been through so much. And deserve to enjoy Christmas Day fully.
I too used the fleets phoso soda before my surgery and colonoscopy last year. The quanity of this is much less than the go lytely prep. Four ounces compared to your total of liters.
Perhaps less quanity would be better tolerated by you.
It is worth asking about. It is still very potent. But I did not have to start drinking it until four pm on the day before my colonoscopy. Clear liquids started at four pm also. And my test was done early in the AM.
Best wishes.

karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2003, 02:50 AM

Happy Holidays, Debbie--

I've had two colonoscopies and my husband has had three. We go to two different gastroenterologists in the same practice. The first time we both had to do the go litely. My husband's gastroenterologist told him that he was not cleaned out that well after drinking the go litely.

The last time we both had to take pills called Visicol. What a difference between the two preps! We took three pills at a time with an 8 ounce glass of water. The prep started as is customary, the day before the procedure. Most of the pills were taken the day before the test, with a smaller number (I believe it was 9) taken the morning of the test. I had virtually no problem with the pills. This time the whole process was so much easier than my first test when I had to drink that go litely.

My husband's gastroenterologist said that the Visicol prep actually cleaned him out better than the go litely did. I would recommend that you check with your doctor to see if the pills might be an option in your situation.

Good luck!

MoeKay
Unread 12-20-2003, 05:19 AM
Site For Bowel Preps

Debbie--

Here's a site that lists and describes all the currently-available bowel preps for colonoscopy, including the Visicol tablets I previously mentioned:

http://www.usurg.com/news/BowelPreps.htm

MoeKay
Unread 12-20-2003, 06:53 AM

Hi Debbie!

Just be careful about the scheduling! I've heard that because of the attention to colon cancer lately it is VERY DIFFICULT in some areas to even get a colonoscopy, and I'm sure since you've been having problems, you don't want to put it off too much.

I'm in the minority here - I actually prefer the golightly - I've used it 4 times for various procedures and the lemon lime is a favorite (sick isn't it - to have a favorite flavor?) I found getting the stuff VERY COLD helped a lot (I mixed it in the morning and got it good and cold - even put it in the freezer for a while). While the golightly can make one a tad nauseous, I found the results to be easier on my bottom than the other preps.

You can also ask about starting the prep later. The reason for the 4pm start is so that you'll be "finished" by 10 as you can sleep. Knowing that, I started mine at around 9, drank faster, and was still finished by midnight. Since my procedures were in the very early am, I just came home and went to sleep after.

I hope you and your doc can work something out to make this as easy for you as possible.
Unread 12-20-2003, 07:00 PM

Hi Debbie,

Ah Yes,,,, the wonderful go lightly drink. How I remember it well. I know that there are lots of alternative preps but my doc believes in this. He says that it cleans you out the best.

How sad that the test has to be the day after Christmas and that your prep starts late Christmas day. No chance of changing it to the next day??

Well, if not, hope all goes well.

Rosalie
Unread 12-21-2003, 08:03 PM

Dear Debbie,
Just wanted to let you know that you would be in my prayers this week. I hope that your procedure goes well and that you don't have too much discomfort from it (or from the prep ) I hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your family!

Rhonda
Radical hysterectomy, June 2002, cervical cancer, 1b
Unread 12-22-2003, 04:47 AM

Just remember that's Boxing Day--and you're going to go in there and have them knock out your problems!!!

There was once a thread around here that suggested a two day clear liquids fast and then magnesium citrate. Go-lytely might be recommended but I couldn't use it effectively myself. It made me far too nauseated (ok, something beyond nauseated!) I couldn't keep it down, so I had decided that the next one I had to have I would do that and use the go-lytely as a "chaser".

We'll be thinking of you and sending good thoughts.
Unread 12-27-2003, 12:03 PM

Hi Debbie,

Have been thinking about you. Hope all went well.

Rosalie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register